THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Federal Gas Tax Hike

Here we go again... more taxes. Yeah it's supposed to keep the Federal Highway Fund solvent, but we know better. Some politicians will just grab chunks of it for their own benefit as usual.

Now watch fuel prices climb.

http://money.msn.com/business-news/a...18&id=17711903

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

lol

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 06-18-2014, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nothing too shocking here. They've lulled the masses into accepting $4.00 a gallon gas. We're at $4.08 for Regular around here, with it being over $5.00 for Premium towards the city of Chicago.

People accept it now. No one seems to care.

Remember when gas was $1.80 in 2008?

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This should sell some electric cars.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

not only are we gonna see a gas tax hike, they are talking about raising the state sales tax, raising your vehicle registration fees, doing away with the permanent trailer plates, bunch of stuff. when you have over 1/3 of the country on the dole, what ya gonna do? lol..print more money?

Old 06-18-2014, 06:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
This should sell some electric cars.
That's part of the long term goal: Get everyone dependant on public transportation.
It's greedy polititians who are behind it all. They are succeeding in getting everyone to blame the oil companies.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
That's part of the long term goal: Get everyone dependant on public transportation.
It's greedy polititians who are behind it all. They are succeeding in getting everyone to blame the oil companies.

The western communist states already have pilot programs in place to TAX you for every mile you drive a year, that way IF the electric car takes off they are covered for the falling fuel sales.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree about the greedy politicians - but hey guys it only $.12 cents spread over 2 years - assuming it gets passed.

If passed a $.06 increase the first year. On a 15 gallon fill - that's only $.90.

I'll be honest - if used correctly to improve the quality of the roads - I'm all for it.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post

I'll be honest - if used correctly to improve the quality of the roads - I'm all for it.
Yeah, but that`s like buying another beer for the alcoholic.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I agree about the greedy politicians - but hey guys it only $.12 cents spread over 2 years - assuming it gets passed.

If passed a $.06 increase the first year. On a 15 gallon fill - that's only $.90.

Taxes collected on fuel have NOT been used solely to improve road conditions for over 50 years, what makes you think this will change anytime soon?

Old 06-18-2014, 06:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

What about over the road trucks? 100+ gallons a day, 6+ days a week all of the sudden it's not "Chump change" and they have to make more. Costing more to ship everything that gets on a truck(which is everything) Now the stores have to pay more for products. NOW YOU PAY MORE if you want your "STUFF"
It costs you more than the .06 and then .12 a year later. You might want to take a economics and business class before your stupidity/ignorance sends you to the poorhouse.
They have plenty of money if they would stop pissing it away on stuff it's NOT supposed to pay for. EI bike paths, walking trails, busses, light rail, high speed rail, flowers and tree's on the side of the road, decorative stone face on bridges, Bridges to nowhere, ect.

Last edited by sleepy; 06-18-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
Taxes collected on fuel have NOT been used solely to improve road conditions for over 50 years, what makes you think this will change anytime soon?
I understand that. That's why I qualified my statement.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
What about over the road trucks? 100+ gallons a day, 6+ days a week all of the sudden it's not "Chump change" and they have to make more. Costing more to ship everything that gets on a truck(which is everything) Now the stores have to pay more for products. NOW YOU PAY MORE if you want your "STUFF"
It costs you more than the .06 and then .12 a year later. You might want to take a economics and business class before your stupidity/ignorance sends you to the poorhouse.
The current national average for diesel is just under $4.00 per gallon. So for your 100 gallon day that means a change from $400 to $406.

If the transportation costs go up $6.00, that does not mean a $6.00 increase in the cost of the goods I purchase. That extra $6.00 is split amongst all the products being transported on that truck. The extra cost to you on that new pair of undershorts (to replace the one's that you just crapped in) is a fraction of a penny.

I understand economics just fine.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's not just $6. That's a day for 1 truck, Your stuff may take 3 days+ and 3-5 trucks to get to the store. Then you have all of the supplies and parts going into the factory, and trucks going in and out of their material suppliers. ALL charging more.
They have plenty of money if they don't piss it away on stuff it's NOT supposed to be spent on. Like MN, 350 million a quarter they take in on state gas tax, The last 2 year budget allotted 200 million on roads and bridges. The rest goes into the general fund to pay for(among other things) WELFARE.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:12 PM
Suspended

More fuel efficient vehicles pay fewer taxes for roads. Older roadways require more maintenance. Salaries for people who maintain roads are climbing all the time.

And it's not politicians. It's corporations who pay the politicians through special interest lobbying. You and I are no kinda competition compared to what a corporation can contribute.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The FEDS and the trucking industry....it's awesome! FEDS put in emission standards which makes the trucks heavier, more expensive to maintain, and more expensive to purchase. FEDS revise the hours of service regulations to shorten the amount of time truckers can drive which either causes truckers to have smaller paychecks or forces companies to pay driver more due to short supply. Fuel taxes keep inching higher negating any improvements in fuel economy due to spending money on aerodynamics or new equipment.
Then to throw salt in the wound, they blame truck drivers and trucking companies when a truck is involved in an accident even though it can be proven it was the car drivers fault.
I won't even get started on the bat-chit crazy way they inhibit the use of natural gas in the trucking industry for fuel......

Old 06-18-2014, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
It's not just $6. That's a day for 1 truck, Your stuff may take 3 days+ and 3-5 trucks to get to the store.
The WalMart you buy your jockey shorts at is serviced by the distribution center in Menomonie. It doesn't even take 100 gallons to transport your underwear (along with a full semi load of goods) 50 miles to your store - but I used the full $6.00 anyway....

Seeing as how you can't comprehend simple math, I'm done with you for now.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is any of that tax money used to subsidize ethanol production? Someone has to pay for that extra cost.

I just read yesterday the federal government took in RECORD INCOME TAX COLLECTIONS from 2013. Do you think we will see better performance by the various departments due to that increased revenue. You know the answer and you know the feds will keep crying they need MORE MONEY FROM THE RICH!! When will this madness stop?

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 06-18-2014, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The WalMart you buy your jockey shorts at is serviced by the distribution center in Menomonie. It doesn't even take 100 gallons to transport your underwear (along with a full semi load of goods) 50 miles to your store - but I used the full $6.00 anyway....

Seeing as how you can't comprehend simple math, I'm done with you for now.
I'm a LOT more than 50 miles away, moron
And how do you think items get to the distribution center?