THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Mini Cooper in the Cincinnati, Ohio area

I got the following message from a friend in Cincinnati. Her Mini Cooper had a bad leak in the sun roof and all of the wiring harness inside the car is now bad. She is looking for someone to save the car. Does anyone have a lead that I can send to her?
Here is her message after talking to her insurance and the dealer.
My Mini Cooper is toast and I have been advised that I need to get it off the mini of Cincinnati lot. So, what to do?
Since you are the only car guy I know, who does restorations, can you direct me what to do?

Old 08-06-2014, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Forget it, If water got in the harness is not the only bad thing, There is a bunch of computers under the rug and seats, Let it go to junk heaven. Sorry

Old 08-07-2014, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
Forget it, If water got in the harness is not the only bad thing, There is a bunch of computers under the rug and seats, Let it go to junk heaven. Sorry
Have to agree. Haven't heard one good thing about those cars except for they are junk. If her insurance company will total it out, that would be a good thing. Only way to "save" it would be replace the entire wiring harness and the computers. I lived in the Cinti area all my life and rest shops are far and few.
Forecast is calling for heavy rains tonight and tomorrow, in the 2-4" inch range. Maybe she can leave a window down or park it on a street that is known for flooding and let nature take its course.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Totaled.... let it go....

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 08-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Thumbs down Life is too short...

to even own a British car, much less repair one.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:34 AM
Suspended

Lightbulb

Mini Cooper by BMW

Old 08-07-2014, 10:54 AM

Just go to the junkyard and strip the interior from a totaled mini. Two weekends of work and it should be fixed. Shouldn't cost too much as they usually don't bother selling wire harness' from the wrecks.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you let the smoke out, there's always this as a replacement for those British cars.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:18 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76LQ9TA View Post
Just go to the junkyard and strip the interior from a totaled mini. Two weekends of work and it should be fixed. Shouldn't cost too much as they usually don't bother selling wire harness' from the wrecks.
That is a good logical plan that looks good on paper.
Problem is reality kicks in. Specifically those plastic connectors on everything such as ECM, Coil Packs, Injectors, etc. Then there is the corrosion / rust damage often hidden until "digging into innards" under carpet, headliner, panels, etc. Lived this w VW Passat w ZERO rust or damage ever - random engine misfire, CEL's, etc due to deterioration of factory connectors which become brittle and fall apart.

Happens that specific OEM replacement (molded plastics, etc) connectors and main harnesses; if available, must be special ordered from mfg.; and quickly cost more $$$ than can be imagined. That's not even including the ECM, computers, sensors, et al.

I agree as to total it and walk away. Unless she's a "car person" (or as the OP asked has access to a trusted budget friendly tech) who's willing to deal with constant random "issues" she'll be $$$ ahead in the long run to bid it goodbye.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Strictly speaking, although most (but not all of them) are assembled in England, the new MINI could be considered a German car since they are owned by BMW. To make it more confusing, the engines in first generation MINIs were built by Chrysler in Brazil, while the current generation cars have engines built by Peugeot in France, automatic transmissions come from Japan, and the computers come from BMW.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:38 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
Have to agree. Haven't heard one good thing about those cars except for they are junk. If her insurance company will total it out, that would be a good thing. Only way to "save" it would be replace the entire wiring harness and the computers. I lived in the Cinti area all my life and rest shops are far and few.
Forecast is calling for heavy rains tonight and tomorrow, in the 2-4" inch range. Maybe she can leave a window down or park it on a street that is known for flooding and let nature take its course.
My wives 2011 Mini has over 77,000 miles on it. The only thing that has been done is I changed front and rear pads and rotors. Also an o ring for the oil sensor switch was replaced under warranty. Actually has been a great car for her. From what I can tell a well engineered car.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:58 PM
Senior Chief

Send a copy of Forest M Mimm's "getting started in electronics" and a link to where she can download the factory service manual for her car, then Run!?

Old 08-07-2014, 09:56 PM
Senior Chief

Tell her to take it to J&N Auto Electric in Evendale- its at least worth a second opinion.
To many gravy suckers in this biz that don't want to diag the hard stuff.

Last edited by BB70; 08-07-2014 at 10:01 PM.