Old 11-07-2014, 04:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 2006 GTO seats are in 1968 GTO

Well finally the front seats are in the old girl and the mock up for the rear has started .
I know this is not everyone's cup of tea . 3hrs to get the first seat in then 30mins for the second one.

Hope you like it

Thanks Tom
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...1&d=1415348234
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141107_180632.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	381229  

Old 11-07-2014, 04:35 AM
Senior Chief

WTF A right hand drive GTO
Shame on you AUS

John L.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
WTF A right hand drive GTO
Drive on the right side and steer on the right side ... we must be doing something RRR left
We are just convicts after all

Old 11-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What does the dash look like on a right hand drive '68 GTO? I assume they were converted to RHD?

Old 11-07-2014, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think it looks great - and you have buckets which are actually bolstered properly and comfortable. However, I am glad I don't have to sit on black leather being baked by the sun!

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
What does the dash look like on a right hand drive '68 GTO? I assume they were converted to RHD
Yes she was converted to RHD in 1968 here in Aus . The cut in dash was between the gauge cluster and the climate control . To put it lightly it was a ruff job and that's why re gauged and flat blacked the face and the wiring was just rubbish. The only difference I really notice is the his and hers shifter gate positions on the his side. Its just so easy to push into Neutral .

My rebuild Video and it has some dash shots in it ( apart and back together ) . The PY upload of pictures is not working for me now . Gee she has changed since that Video all those years ago .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obQ-...h080JA&index=1

Webfoot - Yes it could be hot in the seat I still don't know if this is the final trim set up on the seats .It could be split up white and black but that is a long way off

Old 11-07-2014, 09:47 PM

My son and I are also putting the seats in his 1970 gto from a 2005 gto, the thing we are running into is we had to move the firewall back 8 inches due to using a corvette z06 front cradle ,we are using the tunnel from the 2005 got which has the seat mounting holes but have to locate the outside holes, with the dash and seats moved back we will have to do some cutting and welding to locate the seats back far enough from the dash, your seats look really good.we hope to use all the inside wiring to operate the seats and all of the 2005 gages

Old 11-08-2014, 10:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Got a 68 convertible also. I picked up a set of front 2005 gto seats for two hundred dollars. I found out that was a great price. I thought about doing it but I have already redone the originals with the ledgendary seats covers ,I don,t know what do do. These are nice seats. I think six way power and heated. I think I will sell them and stay with the original but they do look nice.

1979 400 Block, 1970 Heads, Unknown Cam, Comp Cam Lifters, Edelbrock RPM Intake, Hedman Headers, Holley 750 Carb, WFO Drop Base SOLD

1968 GTO convertable project. 400 auto with air. west coast car . Not started in 15 ..update now running (around block spinning tires all the way. Have a lot of cosmetic work to do winter of 17/18

1969 GTO 400 4 Speed this a complete project. Rebuild will start in spring of 2017. SOLD
Old 11-10-2014, 07:22 AM

Aus goat, can you give me a measurement from the seat mounting bolt to the back edge of the seat with it back as far as it will go? Also the dimension from the bottom of the seat to the floor pan, the reason I need this info as my son wants to cut in a 6 inch wide cross member to make room for the seat to go all the way back since we moved the cowl, tunnel back 8 inches.. I don't think this is necessary. With the seat out I have no way to move our seat to the rear to measure it. We got the seats on ebay and don't know where they are.if you can't measure from mount bolt maybe just from a bracket under the seat.. thanks CHUCK

Old 11-15-2014, 06:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hi Chuck
If you see a earlier posting from me about seat bolt positions I had some issues .
For what ever reasons the original brackets I received from Tom with the 2006 GTO seats did not line up correctly ( too short ) So I made new ones after seeing the bracket and what was involved . So sorry to say I have two measurements for you
The original rear bracket from bolt hole ( floor mount ) to seat hole is 2 1/2 inches . I run the "your passengers side seat with these brackets "
The new bracket I had to make was just over 5 inches from floor bolt hole to seat hole for the other seat. My seat bolts had him stumped why . Both new seats are the same distance back and even from the dash .

Have a look at "1badgto" web site Tom has measurements to work off.
Craig

Old 11-17-2014, 06:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looking good Craig!

Old 11-18-2014, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice job!

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:12 PM

How is the rear seat coming along? Any more photos. Very nice.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
How is the rear seat coming along? Any more photos. Very nice.
Sorry to say I have not moved to far on the rear seat .
While the interior is out I have started fixing my wiring both wires that run on the floor pan . They now run under the centre console with two new brackets to hold they neatly in place. Under the dash what a nightmare so its a case of going slowly and trying to fix the wires as I go . So far 4 live wires just waiting to short out bloody hell and I paid for this to be done correctly But good news I found power for my seats

Rear Seat
Top section
The original back seat hooks don't have to be cut off they will hook up the 2006 rear but I did trim the foam so the seat sits flush . The lower hooks ( 2006 seat ) needs to bend out so it will sit flush against the meal work . Holding bolts will be nut-certs (no welding) .
My seat height is the headrest hole the lower surface lines up with the top of original metal seat back . Hopefully I will not need to make a custom cord slide for the convertible top boot
Bottom section
The lower section you need to cut the original front hooks off so the seat sits lower and flush to the floor . I have cut out of the 2006 car the lower front hook up points but I think they will sit too high so I need to work that one out more since my seat needs to sit lower in a convertible . I might be going old school with a front bolt on the lip of the floor pan.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks good. But don't you find them to narrow? I have a 68 and an 04 GTO and just looking at mine they seem a bit narrower then the 68 seats.

TigerEFI.com (Classic Pontiac Fuel Injection)
2004 GTO Company car, 1994 TA 25th Anv, 1971 Grand Safari Wagon, 1968 GTO EFI, 1968 GTO Stock, 1968 GTO Convertible in desperate need of restoration.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
But don't you find them to narrow
I find the seats better than the 68s seats and I am a big boy and the seats feel fine ( rap around feel )
Only downside would be the rear seats going from 3 seats down to 2 . I don't sit in the back so I don't care