Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-17-2015, 06:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Rusted oil pump check valve!

O boy. cleaned the gear in the oil pump but never popped open that big hex bolt that hides the spring and check ball until right now, the ball wouldn't come out until i banged it pretty good and when it did it had a PILE of rust on it, when i cleaned it off it apparently took the chrome plating off of the ball. here is a crappy pic of it, and also the hole it sits in in the oil pump, after i scraped the rust there out and also flushed with gasoline. are either re-usable? thx. oh yeah, just a small part of the rust that was on it is on the tshirt in the center of the pic of my cam retainer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	check ball in oil pump.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	398066   Click image for larger version

Name:	oil pump rust.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	398067   Click image for larger version

Name:	cam retainer.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	398068  

When a cat is dropped it always lands on its feet. When buttered toast is dropped it always lands with the buttered side facing down. If a piece of buttered toast was attached to the back of a cat, when dropped, the cat/buttered toast combination should hover, spinning just above the ground, as it tries unsuccessfully to resolve the inevitable conflict of non-scientific certainties.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default oil pump

No, I wouldn't use that check ball, or the pump for that matter. The ball has to seat and with the rust inside the pump it would be pretty questionable. Too much trouble to get to the pump to take a chance in my opinion.

Spring for a new pump.

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs
Old 05-17-2015, 11:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

yeah i would like to get a new ball at the least. i heard that they are 5/8" but wouldn't know where to get one. the picture of the seat down in that hole isnt very good. crappy picture, but the seat seems pretty pit free, as in all the rust was on the other side of it, since the ball was sitting on the seat. but still doesnt look very smooth either, like it was never machined. there is no way to get anything down there to buff it out better, either. still, don't see any pitting. this is the only one ive ever looked at so don't know what to expect.

Do i really need a new pump? if so, is there any difference btwn Melling and Sealed Power pumps? i found a oil pump repair kit at rock auto but it had everything except the check ball. any idea on where to find a check ball for it?

When a cat is dropped it always lands on its feet. When buttered toast is dropped it always lands with the buttered side facing down. If a piece of buttered toast was attached to the back of a cat, when dropped, the cat/buttered toast combination should hover, spinning just above the ground, as it tries unsuccessfully to resolve the inevitable conflict of non-scientific certainties.

Last edited by bullheimer; 05-18-2015 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A new oil pump at $50 is cheap insurance http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=C...26cadevice%3Dc

You can by a check ball at a hardware store- as far as the size, you should use a 9/16" ball rather than a 5/8" and shim the spring with a hardened washer to make up the difference in clearance. The smaller ball will allow some debris to get around the ball reducing the ball getting stuck.

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
‘66 Lemans, 455, KRE D-Ports, TH350, 12 bolt 3.90 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears (Traded)
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 05-18-2015, 09:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Agree with others,buy a new pump
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/me...w/make/pontiac

Old 05-18-2015, 12:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

GS that link is to a hi press. pump. i should get a standard one right? and then grivera, should i put a 9/16" ball and washer in the new one?

Old 05-18-2015, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Get a standard one and use it as is. You might want to take it apart to make sure its clean but leave it alone as far as modifications like washers and different size balls and all. If you can, have the pickup tube tack welded to the pump.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheimer View Post
GS that link is to a hi press. pump. i should get a standard one right? and then grivera, should i put a 9/16" ball and washer in the new one?
Yes, on the new one. Considering the number of threads about trash hanging up check balls, I think it's a no brainer:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...80&postcount=3
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...3&postcount=17
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...42&postcount=5

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
‘66 Lemans, 455, KRE D-Ports, TH350, 12 bolt 3.90 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears (Traded)
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project

Last edited by grivera; 05-18-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IF (big IF) the rest of the pump is good...why not shove a rifle brush down that hole, remove the rust and debris, and replace the ball?

Ten bucks and some labor beats fifty dollars any day.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Meyer View Post
Get a standard one and use it as is. You might want to take it apart to make sure its clean but leave it alone as far as modifications like washers and different size balls and all. If you can, have the pickup tube tack welded to the pump.
X2
Use the melling M54Ds. Regardless of pump,i prefer to tap the front oil galley hole for a 3/8 pipe plug

Butler sells that pump as well:

http://butlerperformance.com/product...ns_access.html

Old 05-18-2015, 07:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

ok new pump on way machine shop put a long brush down there ran it up and down and said the seat looked good but should buy a new pump anyway so guess that's wasssup. thanks i cave!!