Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-15-2015, 10:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Question Need advice or suggestions on front spoiler

Not sure where to post this so i put it here in Race.

After seeing pictures of my 68 GTO running in the Silver State Classic in the 130MPH class I know I really need a front spoiler. The car at 130 is about 6" nose in the air. And we intend on going up to the unlimited class and possibly running at Bonneville salt flats. After the garage fire (just burnt up the paint and killed the tires) we have completely torn the car apart and are rebuilding it again. I found some pictures online like this one:

I was thinking something like that with a 4" strip of tire rubber on the bottom as well.

Anybody have any others that they have seen?

Also the car has all of the Hotchkis front and rear including springs and sway bars. Car handles great on the road racing track. we are going to get rid of the 69 rear spoiler and go with a more NASCAR style type. Something that's adjustable.

Basically I don't want this thing to become airborne.

Thanks, Jack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevell with front spoiler.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	397872  

TigerEFI.com (Classic Pontiac Fuel Injection)
2004 GTO Company car, 1994 TA 25th Anv, 1971 Grand Safari Wagon, 1968 GTO EFI, 1968 GTO Stock, 1968 GTO Convertible in desperate need of restoration.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I made one for my '63 Tempest (shown in sig pic). It worked fine (at 175 mph), but just make sure you can load it on your trailer. My tire pressures, ramps, etc. had to be set just so or it would hit while loading, especially. I finally tore half of it off (by accident) the last time out and decided to try without it next time.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 05-17-2015, 01:10 AM

Hi Jack,

I dont do the really high speed stuff but on the track and hillclimb (before I crashed that is) I did run a front spoiler extension and splitter on my 80 TA. While it was seat of the pants the front end was really more grounded above 100Mph, I used to say at 115 Mps it felt like it was doing 70 without the splitter.

The science is pretty solid, there is a great basic book if you want to read it, "Competition Car Downforce" by Simon McBeath, they are at least edition 2 now.

I think in your case you want to get your spoiler as low as you can get it to the ground but you will need to think about the car at full suspension compression and not have it hit. What you really dont want is the spoiler to break at speed, it could cut a tire or really upset the balance of the car if you are in a corner. So you want to build it strong with some bracing.

A lot of guys will build them out of Aluminum and on a road course let them grind to fit them selves but I would try to keep it higher. I dont thing a rubber extension on the front will do much unless it is braced well, there is a lot of air force and I think it would bend over.

You might also want to consider some side skirts, you can attach them to the rocker/floor board flange. I never did that as my rules didnt allow it but it also helps from keeping air from coming under the car from the sides and increasing lift.

I dont have any specific suggestions for your car as I dont know them well enough to make any mounting suggestions.

Good luck at the race, thats on my bucket list and would love to come do it one day!

Johnny