Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-24-2015, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you mill the decks of the block and or heads during the rebuild? Maybe you needed a shorter rod? Did you check for correct pattern before those were installed?

Old 05-25-2015, 01:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sooo, what was the cause of the problem?

Old 05-25-2015, 08:13 AM
Senior Chief

Originals were 9.137 stock rods. The were pattern with the comp cam roller tip rockers was a little off as shown in my original post. I did use marker on the valve tips and with a 9.3 on one valve and 9.2 on the other turned the engine over several times the 9.3 looks better but not much difference. The problem that worries me is that the Rhoads lifters bleed down so fast and with the intake still on and no check spring it just can't be accurately checked by rotating I think I'll use the 9.2 for now until I pull the heads this winter to change out the 2 pc valves that scare the hell out of me after reading all your post. Block is zero decked and heads have slight clean up

Old 05-25-2015, 08:16 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELCITYFIREBIRD View Post
Sooo, what was the cause of the problem?

The comp cam rocker arms were blue from friction causing excessive drag, and the magnum junk push rods were soft.