Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-23-2015, 02:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Opinions on Sealed+Power L2262F30

in jegs for about $320/set: http://www.jegs.com/i/Sealed+Power/8...62F30/10002/-1

kinda funny it says pontiac pistons then lists a bunch of mopars they fit in and no pontiacs.

When a cat is dropped it always lands on its feet. When buttered toast is dropped it always lands with the buttered side facing down. If a piece of buttered toast was attached to the back of a cat, when dropped, the cat/buttered toast combination should hover, spinning just above the ground, as it tries unsuccessfully to resolve the inevitable conflict of non-scientific certainties.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That must be a typo, as that part number piston has been around forever and is of good quality, in fact I ran those for 2 years in a blower motor with 6 psi of boost without a issue!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 06-23-2015, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Also note that the pins in these are heavy like the stock ones at 250 grams, you can install ones like Butler has and knock over 100 grams off of each piston and the motor will rev a bunch faster and live longer!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 06-23-2015, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You can swap to them (L22662F) from, stock pistons, and be pretty confident balance will be fine.
Definitely need to re balance if you go with the lighter pins.

If buying new,I would weight your options and total costs vs other assembly's out there.

Not sure if they still use the "thick" ring pack?

Old 06-23-2015, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do they have 8 of these in stock ? The listing is for one single piston.

This Jeg's ad on Amazon says they only have 7 in stock.

http://www.amazon.com/Sealed-Power-L.../dp/B003TQ0TUS

Ebay always has the best price I can find for these pistons.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-400-...0b49e1&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speed-Pro-TR...d96c92&vxp=mtr

The cheapest way you can go forged is with these pistons and the 5140 RPM rods for $276.

http://www.racingpartsmaximum.com/sa...tockrod-2.html

"You can swap to them (L22662F) from, stock pistons, and be pretty confident balance will be fine."

Yeah, I built several TRW 400's and lots of 455's using the TRW forged pistons, with stock rods and cranks. Never had one balanced--never had a problem. But, as mentioned, if you change the pin weight, or the rod weight, the balance will be affected.

Last edited by ponyakr; 06-23-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

shows how dumb i am, i thought all that mattered was that the weights of the piston, pins and rods were the same! didnt think about the counter balances on the crank having to match up.

pretty sure Jegs would have more than 7! i did see the one ad on amazon that only said they had 7 tho, and it said the seller was Jegs. weird. and Jegs has free shipping now. dont know if it's a waste without getting the rods too? i just wanted the cheapest alternative to the 8 brow pistons i have in my short block i'm "building" now. the piston pics are completely different too, in jegs' site the reliefs are almost none existant. fk, i just called jegs and they only do have 7!! thanks for the link to the other sites.

would both rods and pistons w/o pins still require balancing? wish i would have seen those rods before i got my ARP bolts installed in my stockers. (they come w/arps).

When a cat is dropped it always lands on its feet. When buttered toast is dropped it always lands with the buttered side facing down. If a piece of buttered toast was attached to the back of a cat, when dropped, the cat/buttered toast combination should hover, spinning just above the ground, as it tries unsuccessfully to resolve the inevitable conflict of non-scientific certainties.

Last edited by bullheimer; 06-23-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"...dont know if it's a waste without getting the rods too? i just wanted the cheapest alternative to the 8 brow pistons i have in there now."

Yep, go with the cheapest deal you can find for 8 forged pistons, and some good moly rings. Check the piston pics on the Ebay links. They even show a close-up, so you can read the L2262F part number.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speed-Pro-TR...d95bc6&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-400-...0b49e1&vxp=mtr

I'd recommend the rods too. But don't know if they can be used without rebalancing or not.

Last edited by ponyakr; 06-23-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

my rings will fit, they are the same size. but one of my biggest reasons (in my brain, and not withstanding the bad rap the 8 brows have for detonation), was that they would be alot lighter than my cast slugs. if they are lighter, then i would be in the same boat as changing the piston pins (need balancing). if what is said above, that i can change out the 8 brows with the forged w/o a balance job, then doesnt that mean the pistons weigh the same? for my cam, which aint all that because of my pressed in rocker studs (about a 2802) maybe i just keep what i got. the guy i got my motor from said it only overheated when it was idling.

Last edited by bullheimer; 06-23-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those 250 gm pins for 2262s barely have a hole!

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 06-23-2015, 11:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

are U lookin at something i'm not looking at? other than not blowing holes in piston tops with nitrous, and the 8 brow detonation issue, what good would forged pistons and rods be w/o a forged crank to really spin it up? i know 90% of fo'ks here say detonation and over heating, but my bud drove it for a month before he crashed it 25 years ago. he did make the point that gas was much better then but had no overheating issues other than idling. and it was in a bird, not a lemans, so a little smaller compartment. i have basically no car to stick this in anytime soon, so, i would rather buy a mig welder some day. but my 8 brows just take a fi'n BEATING on this forum. i feel like i'd be building a claimer engine if i use them. still, i could get the car fixed up and save money for a forged and Stroked rotating assembly later. i just thought they would weigh alot less and i wouldn't NEED to have it balanced. i just put my timing chain cover on and really don't want to remove it already. besides, that's another buck and a half to balance it. if i could do this and see some benefit for the $320 i would do it. but is this really gonna make my motor run better? (i will go from 9:1 to nearly 9.5:1 tho! THATS a good thing! Right?) as i see it i am limited by my pressed in rocker arm studs and stock rods and crank anyway. at least you guys did answer my question: these are good pistons. esp for the $320.

Last edited by bullheimer; 06-23-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Built a lot of 400's with those L2262F. Have a 4.120" set in my GTO. Good pistons.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Many factory motors had cast pistons that did fine, modern ones use hypereutectic often. But modern day cast pistons for old motors what is the quality? If you lean on it how strong are they if it detonates and will it break a ring lands out? Same for the hypers if you do not get the ring gap right.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 06-28-2015, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't like or use TRW or Speed Pro forgings in 400 builds because they are not only too heavy, they are too short. Unless they have changed the pin height in recent years, most end up .028 to .032" or so below the deck at TDC, and require WAY too much machining on the block to get decent quench.

They are also NOT set up for full floating, and most decent aftermarket 4340 rods are bushed for full floating pins, so another fly in the ointment......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 06-28-2015, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree with Cliff in that there are many better options for race builds. In a stock to mild performance aspirations they have always seemed durable enough. Would be interesting to see how today's slugs would compare to ones made 30 years ago.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

only good thing said so far about my 8 brows: they are 30 years old, before hypers were invented. big whoop. i have a pic of them on this site somewhere. the reliefs hit the sides alright, but the pistons are built up there also. i smoothed the edges with a wire wheel back when. they are down in the hole a bit. they vary from 30 to 40. pretty big variation. but no need to make this post into another 8 brow pummeling. anyway, since i couldn't find my pic on this site, here is one from my hotrodders site:

again, NOT looking for anymore opinions on 8 brow slugs. thanks.

Last edited by bullheimer; 06-28-2015 at 03:20 PM.