Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 07-26-2015, 12:31 PM

Default 1968 GTO idsc brakes

Hi I have a 68 GTO looking to up grade from power drum to power disc. I want to keep the stock 14"drum brake rally wheels. What is best way to do this? Looking at the Scarebird conversion? anything better?
Thanks in advance.

Old 07-26-2015, 02:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to SteveGB21
Cool On that conversion...

On the conversion, if you want to buy select parts, here's what to do:

Buy the spindles, backing plates, and caliper mounting brackets from a
1969-1970 (1st Gen) F-body [Camaro; Firebird]
1969-1972 A-Body [Chevelle/SS; GTO/Tempest/LeMans; Cutlass/S/F-85/4-4-2; Skylark/Special GS]
1969-1972 G-Body [Monte Carlo; Cutlass Supreme; Grand Prix]
1969-1974 X-Body [Nova; Omega; Ventura; Apollo]

The three parts can be purchased at many aftermarket suppliers like ebay, MP brakes, Stainless Steel, or CPP.

+Must reuse the steering knuckles off your vehicle.

Rotors, pads, bearings/races, seals, and brake hoses can be purchased at your local automotive part stores.

*On the calipers, must be from the above stores. The core charge may/may not apply, depending where you buy. Either ebay, local automotive part stores, RockAuto or NAPA.

As with the factory '68 brakes (& '67 brakes) I have heard they are troublesome, and best to avoid. Best to use the '69 and later setup. Good luck.

On the factory GM setup, you can use the 14" wheels. However, some wheels may not fit the disc brakes.