Old 10-20-2015, 09:00 PM

Default 67 A/C with ATC: Part Numbers needed

I've got a 67 GP with A/C with Auto Temp Control. I finally got the car out of the shop that rebuilt my suspension, transmission, and rear end. Shop told me to put 500 miles on the car and bring it back in for adjustments. I got about 30 miles down the highway and my A/C compressor locked up and the wiring harness melted. I had the car towed back to the shop. I sent the harness to M&H to have it rebuilt.
The shop thinks that the previous owner put the wrong oil in the A/C system when they converted it to R-134.
Now I'm looking to restore the system and the shop recommended replacing the compressor, evaporator, condenser, dryer, expansion valve, and relays that may have cooked when the harness melted.

Does anyone have a parts diagram with part numbers for these parts?

Are there any other parts that are recommended to be replaced at this time?

One step forward, two steps back...

Old 10-20-2015, 09:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That shop wants all your money. Go to a junk yard and take the system out of an old car. You can do this yourself for FAR less money and much better reliability.

2 more to go :-)
Old 10-20-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubomber View Post
That shop wants all your money. Go to a junk yard and take the system out of an old car. You can do this yourself for FAR less money and much better reliability.
I hear you.

If I'm going to replace some of the parts, I don't mind getting new or rebuilt. I figure a new compressor, condenser, and evaporator is warranted for a decent restoration effort.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The basic cooling and heating components are the same on ATC and regular air conditioning. If all that went wrong is your clutch on the compressor seized up I would only replace that. If the compressor itself failed in a violent way I would replace the compressor, the evaporator, condenser and then clean and inspect the two main valves (POA and forget the name of the other) and the muffler. The key is to rid the system of any impurities, bad oil and any metal bits from the compressor failure.

All these parts are available new used or rebuilt from autoparts etc. Honestly GM part numbers are irrelevant.

If you need part numbers etc on the ATC controls etc that are specific to ATC please pm me and I can help you out with pn's

1969 LeMans (2dr & 4dr ht & Cvt)
1969 LeMans Safari wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 ht & Judge ht)
1969 Cat (3 Cvt’s & 2dr ht)
1969 Ventura wagon 2 seat
1969 Exec 4dr post
1969 Bonnie Cvt & 2 wagons
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr ht & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix 2 SJ’s
1969 2+2 2dr ht (Canadian)
Old 10-21-2015, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubomber View Post
Good luck going to a junk yard and finding a car that actually still has these parts that still work on a system that's been sitting open for 30 years accumulating trash, tossing it on a car, and praying it actually works.

You can totally do it yourself, but the shop isn't trying to steer you wrong. If the compressor took a dump and spewed its guts inside the system, it all has to come apart and be cleaned and checked at a minimum. If it was just the clutch, that happens all the time and is a $100 part to replace. If the compressor failed badly enough, it's a bit of labor to ensure all those passages are clean and if not, it will just fail again once you've repaired it. All of the parts for these cars are available new as well.

The only thing different between the 2 is as north said: the interior temperature sensing and door adjustment controls are what matters. Likely those didn't fail. The hoses, fittings, and, compressor, drier, etc are all the same from regular AC and ATC.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:30 PM

It was the compressor that failed. It is cooked.

I'm considering getting a new/rebuilt compressor, evaporator, condenser, dryer, expansion valve, POA valve, and muffler. Since the harness melted, I'm also looking for the ATC specific relays and sensors that may have got damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
The basic cooling and heating components are the same on ATC and regular air conditioning. If all that went wrong is your clutch on the compressor seized up I would only replace that. If the compressor itself failed in a violent way I would replace the compressor, the evaporator, condenser and then clean and inspect the two main valves (POA and forget the name of the other) and the muffler. The key is to rid the system of any impurities, bad oil and any metal bits from the compressor failure.

All these parts are available new used or rebuilt from autoparts etc. Honestly GM part numbers are irrelevant.

If you need part numbers etc on the ATC controls etc that are specific to ATC please pm me and I can help you out with pn's

Old 10-21-2015, 03:38 PM

Update from M&H: They can build the part of the harness that is the "engine harness", but they don't have the information/diagrams/parts to build the A/C harnesses.

So now I'm looking for the under hood and under dash air conditioning harnesses for an ATC equipped car. Does anyone have any of these harnesses?