THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:58 AM
Senior Chief

I've had a few older Japanese cars. They made great winter beaters.

It's inevitable that the values would rise along with other 70's/80's cars.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was in Fishkill NY looking at an 84 50th anniversary 300ZX about two weeks ago. It wasn't anywhere near what the owner described or showed in pics, but just seeing one made me want to go buy up some old Nissans.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 10-21-2015, 03:44 PM

I had a 77 Corolla 4 dr. hand me down as my first car back in the late 80s. Learned to work on cars on that thing. I put 84 Supra rims, Weber carb, and header and beat the living daylights out of it for years, before giving it to a friend of mine who drove it for years before it got stolen

Currently, I have a 1994 Eagle Talon turbo AWD, powered by a Garrett GT4202 turbo

Old 10-21-2015, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I grew up liking small cars, and when it was announced, the GTO.

BEFORE I was bitten by the buy-American bug (now completely infected with this disease), I owned several British cars, mostly Triumphs and Jaguars (old derelicts that I could afford, and fix).

When I was joined by Uncle in 1968 and sent to Japan, I discovered Japanese cars don't leak oil, and have tops that actually keep out the rain; what a concept!

A Honda S-600 in Japan, and when I came home, the same derelict Datsun SRL-311 and SPL-311 that I could afford to buy and repair.

Then both my parents and I bought new Toyotas (long gone, but still have a HUGE selection of late 1960's early 1970's Toyota service parts, and some super rare Datsun sports books for the Fairlady and early Z that need a new home).

Bought one Toyota Corona with a cracked head for $10. Had a used head, did a valve job, installed the head, modified the carb (heh, heh) and the exhaust, and drove it over 250,000 miles.

Have posted in these forums before about the 1969 Toyota Corona that I helped my son build (we modified the carb, exhaust, and added a 5-speed). It would blow the doors off the later Turbo T/A that my son acquired, even after the engine received a cam.

Those days are gone, but lots of memories (and after 28 years, got my GTO pretty much how I want it).

Somewhere, I have a picture of the S-600 parked next to a MUCH LARGER Volkwagen Beetle. If I can find it, will post.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE=carbking;5480198]
When I was joined by Uncle in 1968 and sent to Japan, I discovered Japanese cars don't leak oil, and have tops that actually keep out the rain; what a concept!

There is a easy explanation. Part of the annual car inspection in Japan requires NO engine, trans, transaxle or rear end or brake system to leak. Also a car can't get certified to be on the road if it has any rust perforation, even just cosmetic.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:25 PM

My hotrod is a 1990 RX-7 convertible. It has been swapped from the rotary to an LS3. 400hp at the wheels makes this a car a riot.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech-head View Post
My hotrod is a 1990 RX-7 convertible. It has been swapped from the rotary to an LS3. 400hp at the wheels makes this a car a riot.

That car would never even pass the visual for smog inspection and certification. Car has to have what it came with from the factory. We did have some smog station owners pass them on the sly, however some of them are now in prison. How did you manage?

Old 10-22-2015, 05:55 PM

No smog inspections where I live, so completely legal.

People do swap these throughout the US. That is why GM provides the Erod motors (comes with emission equipment). My car runs a hell of a lot cleaner now than it did with the old rotary motor.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've seen tons of those swaps. Especially on the emission exempt cars. I feel sorry for those places that have to have visuals.

Greg, my son decided he wanted to keep his '92 LS400 and I'm going to see this '63 Catalina thru so no time soon will I be looking for a import except for after the 1st we'll start shopping for a VW Westy Bus for my wife.

Check out my sons blog, www.driftundertheradar.com

Old 10-22-2015, 07:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Had 2 Celica GT liftbacks, 76 and 77, liked them a lot at the time.

Nothing close to a 240Z, but were fun to drive for what they were and looked like miniature Mach I mustangs without the Mach.

I decided they weren't safe when I got rear-ended in the 77 by a Chrysler Cordoba. High-back bucket detached, but probably saved me. That image in my rear-view will never leave me.

I never see them anywhere now.. this one I pulled off the web, only they never looked this good then!
I would love to own one of those "mini-Mustangs"! Had a friend in the USAF that had the identical one to your photo. I remember driving and riding in his in both Germany and California. A blast to drive and has an attractive interior & exterior. Just don't see them any more, even on eBay.

I did own a '81 280ZX back in the late 90's. Got it cheap, drove hell outta it and sold it to a guy later that had to have it. Faded paint, sun baked interior, but had cold a/c and ran flawless!

1930 Ford Model A Coupe .. (original)
1994 Buick .."TowMaster" ...woody wagon
Old 10-22-2015, 08:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBF823 View Post
I'm in;

Driving this mostly on weekends. It's my third one. Got the RS-X hood on it(not in pic). Fj20 motor and LSD aren't installed yet. Tooling it around with the anemic CA20 and 3.70 gears.

I originally wanted a rwd gts celica notch, but none were found, so I'm addicted to s12s now.

Just got a model kit of a DR30, and I have four S12 kits in both hatch and notch, and have one S110 notch kit and the sihloutte silvia. Thinking of getting some more kits of toyotas.
Looks like a Mustang LX

Old 10-22-2015, 10:22 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 bird View Post
Looks like a Mustang LX
They do. Mustang would be hell of a lot faster on the same money.

Wasn't my first choice back when I got the first one; felt the cowl was to high and the windshield and hood to sloped, but somehow, I've grown overly fond of them.

Passed up a fairly clean s30 280z for this one; a car that was sexier, would have been better balanced with the same motor, lighter, easier to sell, worth more money, and easier to get parts for.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Greg, my son decided he wanted to keep his '92 LS400 and I'm going to see this '63 Catalina thru so no time soon will I be looking for a import except for after the 1st we'll start shopping for a VW Westy Bus for my wife.
That's ok...I just mentioned again to my wife that I need to thin the collection and she basically said, 'Not the Datsun'....so, I guess I'll keep it around.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Our youngest daughter (30 y/o) has a 1989 Honda Integra. It is build #23 as per the compliance plate and has a April 89 build date which sort of shows it was part of the initial build batch out of Japan. Considering they were not officially released till November 89, that sort of stands up. Further, I have a car magazine dated October 89 showing a red Integra on test with the details of the car shortly to be released.

Is it the same car??? Who knows but chances are it is.

So my daughter bought it 10 years back, has put about 160,000 kilometres on it, and I think its total maintenance cost to her so far is one battery plus oil changes, tyres brakes etc. But man, has it taken a battering!!!!! Parked in the street for 10 years, light parking dents back & front, carpets in tatters, alloy wheels scraped and scratched. And DON'T ask me to comment on all the dog hair, coffee stains, hair clips, long strands of hair in every corner. Its a PIG STY.

And now, after a broken relationship she has moved to London for who knows how long????? And almost the last words she said before she left was, "Dad, PLEASE don't get rid of my car.... I might return soon and I'll need it again"

So what am I doing????? I've pulled it apart and I'm going through it. Cleaning, washing, polishing, repaired & painted front & rear bumpers.

I must need my head reading....:rolleyes :

Ian

Old 10-23-2015, 02:09 AM
Suspended

Everyone knows that a Nissan is called that in all parts of the country now but in the late 60's when they wanted to bring the cars into the USA the name Nissan didn't go over very good when they did there surveys. So one day the manager came in to the design office & said we have to came up with a new name for ours cars when we ship them the the people in the USA because the Nissan name doesn't go over very well. So we need a new name Just for the Americas. SO 1 little guy in the back raises his hand & says how long de we have to come up with a new name. The manager looks at him & says we only have 2 days so we can get the new names printed for the cars & the paperwork. The little guy in the back of the room stands up & says " DAT SOON", so now you know the rest of the story.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanC View Post
I would love to own one of those "mini-Mustangs"! Had a friend in the USAF that had the identical one to your photo. I remember driving and riding in his in both Germany and California. A blast to drive and has an attractive interior & exterior. Just don't see them any more, even on eBay.

I did own a '81 280ZX back in the late 90's. Got it cheap, drove hell outta it and sold it to a guy later that had to have it. Faded paint, sun baked interior, but had cold a/c and ran flawless!
Z cars were special back then. I'll bet you enjoyed it.

Glad to hear somebody else remembers those early Celica liftbacks.

I bought my 76 new when I got out of school and was too excited by having a paycheck to avoid being stupid with it. I really liked the car, but today, all I remember is trading in my 66 Fairlane GT for it at the Toyota dealer.

Gas was expensive, so it made sense at the time.

Doh!

Old 10-23-2015, 07:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Z cars were special back then. I'll bet you enjoyed it.

Glad to hear somebody else remembers those early Celica liftbacks.

I bought my 76 new when I got out of school and was too excited by having a paycheck to avoid being stupid with it. I really liked the car, but today, all I remember is trading in my 66 Fairlane GT for it at the Toyota dealer.

Gas was expensive, so it made sense at the time.

Doh!
That's exactly why I got rid of my 72 Formula 455, gas was expensive. I sold it and bought a new Black 1983 Corolla SR5.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
Everyone knows that a Nissan is called that in all parts of the country now but in the late 60's when they wanted to bring the cars into the USA the name Nissan didn't go over very good when they did there surveys. So one day the manager came in to the design office & said we have to came up with a new name for ours cars when we ship them the the people in the USA because the Nissan name doesn't go over very well. So we need a new name Just for the Americas. SO 1 little guy in the back raises his hand & says how long de we have to come up with a new name. The manager looks at him & says we only have 2 days so we can get the new names printed for the cars & the paperwork. The little guy in the back of the room stands up & says " DAT SOON", so now you know the rest of the story.
And where did you get that misinformation? Nissan Motors Ltd. is what GM Corporation is. Chevrolet is a GM product. Cadillac is a GM product. Infiniti is a Nissan product. Datsun was a Nissan product. Nissan has been considering reopening the Datsun product line again. I know Mr. K and I know the story.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a 72 Datsun 510, now they want big bucks for them because they have the independent rear suspension. Made really good Rally cars.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:10 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by U47 View Post
And where did you get that misinformation? Nissan Motors Ltd. is what GM Corporation is. Chevrolet is a GM product. Cadillac is a GM product. Infiniti is a Nissan product. Datsun was a Nissan product. Nissan has been considering reopening the Datsun product line again. I know Mr. K and I know the story.
I believe Rex was just joking.