Old 06-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Seville Vinyl Texture for 64 Black is not Correct

I just noticed this in the Colors-Interiors-Accessories dealer binder. The black vinyl has a different texture that the other 64 colors. It is a finer grain, but not like the 65 madrid. I am also posting a picture of an original 64 Lemans bucket seat so you can see this is not a fluke. So, the next time someone tries to pass off reproduction upholstery/door panels as original, we will be all the wiser.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:14 PM
Senior Chief

For 1964

Just wanted to add a couple of comments to 64woodwheel's post.

In the 1964 Pontiac Colors-Interiors-Accessories Dealer Binder, the term Seville is only mentioned three times: Under the Tempest Safari, under the LeMans Sports Coupe, and under the Bonneville Convertible. The term morrokide, which describes the material, and Jeweltone, which I believe describes the iridescent sheen, are the most used terms for all models listed.
However, even though it is only mentioned three times, I believe it is used to describe the vein-like surface texture. This vein-like texture is typical of most of the offerings as samples (swatches) indicated in the binder for all series, but with two exceptions. Only the LeMans and Bonneville series show the color black in a tight pebble like surface as shown in Post No. 1. The Catalina series shows the color black in the vein-like texture, so the vein-like texture was available, at least for the Catalina Series.

It should also be noted that for our black bucket seats found in the LeMans (GTO), both the tight pebble like and the vein-like textured surfaces were utilized. The majority of the bucket seats consist of the tight pebble like surface. However, the 13.75" x 11" rectangular panel on the backside of the seat-back consists of the vein-like textured surface. This applies only for the black colored seats.

Dealing with various interior vendors over the years, they all have their own nomenclature for the numerous fabric textures, so I don't know how best to describe the above morrokide material used in the GTO. I guess it would be safe to use Seville when referring to the vein-like morrokide, but not sure what to call the pebble-like morrokide.

Only the Seville (vein-like) dash pad texture was used on all colors, including those pads that came in black, in 1964.