THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
This.

When I used to go to the NASCAR race in Michigan every year I used to pick up a camper about 25 miles from the track.

Didn't have to tow the dang thing through Chicago - that was worth what I paid to rent the trailer for the 2 or 3 nights I needed it all by itself.

No need to store it. No insurance. No upkeep.
Good plan but sometimes (like this year at Norwalk) there wasn't a trailer to be had (an event at Mid Ohio coincided). We called dozens of places in Western Pa. and Ohio. So, after doing some math (regarding rentals/fees etc typically $375-500 for long weekend) we decided to pick up a real nice older (2000) 24' travel trailer from a board member (A/C, microwave, refrg/freezer, stovetop/oven, shower, etc). Trailered it about 1400 miles (through NYC too) without incident (bought new tires/wheels) and surprising easy to tow. We've since used it for camping trips and overflow guests at home (their kids stayed in the trailer and loved it).
Of course making the whole idea feasible for us is that we already had a capable tow vehicle and our house on Long Island is on 1.5 acres with a 50' x 35' blacktop pad out back (with electric) and the realization that we could easily get back our purchase price (or more).
With that said what made sense for us doesn't necessarily make sense for everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2121.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	414615  

Old 12-01-2015, 02:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hall View Post
Yep, it's a little cheaper to do that but we travel with pets and I like to split the drive up in 2 days. Finding a pet friendly motel/hotel is almost non existent for anything over 1 or 2 animals. The dogs don't kennel well at all and that was the biggest reason why we bought a camper. It's still cheaper to own and insure mine for a year then to rent one down in Florida.
It may be cheaper to own over renting, but look at it this way. When you rent, you get a modern RV, maybe less than a year old, or even brand new VS your maybe 10YO+ RV. You have NO maintenance cost's, you don't need to store it 355 days a year, look at it sitting in the back yard under a tarp, etc.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a 1992 Chevy powered motorhome that is a 20' class B. I bought it for the fuel injected 454 and the 4L80E trans over 8 years ago. Once I cleaned it out and tested the features I could not part it out at all. I used it many times each of the 9 years I have owned it and it has working roof a/c, factory dash a/c, microwave oven, stainless steel stove, fridge with freezer, stainless steel sink, forced air furnace, hot water tank, toilet and shower, oak cabinets and much more. Plus it is a 1 ton tow vehicle. I see class B motorhomes for sale for around $5,000-$10,000. I paid as much for mine as a decent tent and don't get wet when it rains and don't freeze or sweat.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.