THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:37 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Question '95 Ford 4.0 V6 overheating problem?

Anybody got experience with these? Got a chance to pick up a '95 Ford Explorer for a song. Guy's been chasing an overheating problem (new radiator, cylinder heads, A/C compressor) to no avail, and he's tired of it and wants to dump it.

So, who has one or has worked on one, and does this sound familiar as to type, not counting chasing the standard overheating remedies?

Thanks.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 12-12-2015, 07:29 PM

I have a 94 without overheating problems. I understand that if you do overheat these, there is a good chance for cracked heads and possible transmission failure (a4ld tranny). I have read where people run a Hayden severe duty clutch fan, 1 or 2 tranny coolers and possibly an oil cooler also. A good site is explorerforums.com. This site also has a search function for archived posts. I know this didn't answer your question but I hope it helps. The 4.0 seems to be a strong little motor.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:26 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Thumbs up

Thanks for the help. I searched google and came up with a number of hits about the intake manifold or t-stat housing (both plastic) cracking and so I guess that's what it is. He has had two rebuilt cylinder heads installed as well as a rebuilt tranny (it's auto 4WD) and new radiator, so it looks like the mechanic (brother-in-law) just started replacing parts without reading anything on the web.

This thing is REALLY cheap as well as nicely optioned, interior is nice and body is straight, so I think I'm gonna roll the dice and pick it up and start in on it.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 12-13-2015, 04:27 PM

I like mine. I mostly use it as a dog hauler, camping rig, grocery getter, and comfortable base station at the local dirt track. It's a stout little rig. Radius arm bushings is the next thing I will be fixing. 1994 Explorer XLT, loaded, 4.0, a4ld 4 speed auto trans.
Keep her cool and fluids fresh and we will all be happy for alot of miles. 14 to 16 mpg is what I get.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiak View Post
I have a 94 without overheating problems. I understand that if you do overheat these, there is a good chance for cracked heads and possible transmission failure (a4ld tranny). I have read where people run a Hayden severe duty clutch fan, 1 or 2 tranny coolers and possibly an oil cooler also. A good site is explorerforums.com. This site also has a search function for archived posts. I know this didn't answer your question but I hope it helps. The 4.0 seems to be a strong little motor.
More than a good chance. When I worked for JET, we had NEW 4.0 Ford head castings stacked up 6ft high on pallets to replace the cracked ones on core engines. The best place to start looking for problems in the 4.0 cooling system is with the thermostat. For some reason, the Vulcan engines seem to have thermostats seizing closed in most of the overheating situations I've seen.

Dr. Thomas Sowell