Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-31-2016, 12:27 PM

Default Internal dual feed can i use the transgo seperator plate

I just rebuild my trans and internaly dual feed my trans, i already had a transgo shift kit ordered can i use that seperator plate or not. Th400 1&2 kit
Thanks,
Daan

Old 02-01-2016, 04:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you did the mods described in this link http://www.jakesperformance.com/TH400_Rebuild_Tech.html

...then I don't think it matters. I used the Transgo kit on a TH350, and it had the dual feed as part of the separator plate. Not totally apples to apples, but I've heard most kits engineer this mod into the separator plate for an easy upgrade.

Anyone else?

Old 02-01-2016, 05:15 AM

That's exactly what i did and adjusted the feed hole for the converter.
The only thing i need to know is if i can use the transgo plate or that i have to use a stock one?
Thanks
Daan

Old 02-01-2016, 07:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd use the stock plate and follow ALL of the modifications Jake listed. Be conservative with hole sizes as well. I've done TH400's both ways over the years, and nothing wrong with the "home brew" deal.

You can use the modified 1-2 shift valve, and plug for the hole over it from the Transgo kit. You can also use the direct drum release springs, and the HD snap ring for the case.

You'd be on your own if you add in a higher pressure PR spring and I wouldn't mess with the modulating system with the Transgo parts either. Not that it wouldn't work, or could be made to work, but you'd be in new territory there and may find you'd be back in it a few times to get the desired results.......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),