THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Off Topic (Or brand anyway) 1926 Model-T

I am helping one of my customers get his almost restored 1926 model-T going. And for this he is giving me all the parts to build a second one. Anybody ever work on one of these? Any good old Ford boards like this one?

Thanks, Jack.

PS. PMDRacer your probably getting roped into this too..

TigerEFI.com (Classic Pontiac Fuel Injection)
2004 GTO Company car, 1994 TA 25th Anv, 1971 Grand Safari Wagon, 1968 GTO EFI, 1968 GTO Stock, 1968 GTO Convertible in desperate need of restoration.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The HAMB http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/

Not ford specific but its a really active board for pre 64 cars.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 02-23-2016, 08:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jalopy Journal is mainly for hot rods and customs. Assuming you're talking about a restoration, go to http://www.fordbarn.com - it's owned by the same guy who owns the Jalopy Journal.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:43 PM

There is a Model T forum with classifieds run by the Model T Ford Club.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/599638.html

Restoration oriented. From nut and bolt correct to "keep them running" topics.
Everyone should own a stock Model T once in their lifetime. I've got a 20 Centredoor and it's too much fun to be legal.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:46 PM

Pictures of my T bone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_20 (6).JPG
Views:	125
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	421849   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_20 (7).JPG
Views:	94
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	421850   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_20 (5).JPG
Views:	109
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	421851   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_20 (3).JPG
Views:	99
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	421852  

Old 02-23-2016, 10:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Lloyd View Post
Pictures of my T bone
Very nice car. The ones I will be working on look very much like that.

Thanks all for the info. Started a whole new bookmark folder. Gathering as much info as I can.

2004 GTO Company car, 1994 TA 25th Anv, 1971 Grand Safari Wagon, 1968 GTO EFI, 1968 GTO Stock, 1968 GTO Convertible in desperate need of restoration.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:15 PM

Thanks Jack. For parts, I'm told that Lang's is the best around. I haven't any personal experiences, but just going with what I'm told.

I'm sure once you contact your local T club, they will be more than willing to help in any way.

https://www.modeltford.com/

Old 02-24-2016, 02:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Just talked to Don Lang

Don Lang called me Tuesday evening about T transport out of California - very nice guy ....

The MTFCA forum is the place to have your questions asked & answered.

I haul for the MTFCA Museum in Richmond, IN ....

I am dropping off a nice 1920 Model T Touring this morning in Coral Gables, Fl that traveled in my trailer from San Jose, CA.

Jim

Old 02-24-2016, 07:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a '31 Ford Model A; rumble seat coupe.

I looked at Model T's before I got it but they were a little too rustic for my needs.

You get lots of "old car bang for your buck" with these cars.

K
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Model A.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	421874  

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 02-24-2016, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very nice. I bought and restored my 1915 ten years ago. They are very durable, fun cars to run and drive. Brakes are terrible, though! I recommend the MTFCA forums...they are free, and a great bunch of guys, very willing to help. Much like this forum....a lot of knowledge, and a handful of SUPER-Knowledgeable folks, just like here. Welcome to the wonderful world of 20 HP flatheads. Your's probably has an electric starter....I have to hand crank mine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1193.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	421952  

Old 02-24-2016, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I might have to go with something like a T the next time. Tired of worrying about engines surviving at 400hp, and .0005" worries, and $10,000 paint.

I want a car that thinks it's a tractor

Old 02-24-2016, 05:23 PM
Senior Chief

did you go to the AACA website. then scroll down to ford.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Very nice. I bought and restored my 1915 ten years ago. They are very durable, fun cars to run and drive. Brakes are terrible, though! I recommend the MTFCA forums...they are free, and a great bunch of guys, very willing to help. Much like this forum....a lot of knowledge, and a handful of SUPER-Knowledgeable folks, just like here. Welcome to the wonderful world of 20 HP flatheads. Your's probably has an electric starter....I have to hand crank mine.
Nice '15. Yes, mine has electric start. For 1300 dollars, it should have that option. lol I think the roadsters in Canada were still hand crank if you didn't opt for an electric start. But I'm not sure. I've hand cranked it a couple of times. Just to show people. But it usually starts within a half turn when it's warm. Or just on spark.

One thing about T's. You get the same experience with an early 20's car as you would a early teens car. Essentially the same (except for the electric start) I had always wanted one. And when I found this centredoor model about 100 miles away I had to investigate. Finding out it was a Canadian produced car sealed the deal. The centredoor is my favourite body style.

One thing to keep in mind with these cars though. Just getting gas is a 1/2 hour endevour. 5 minutes to fill the tank. The rest of the time answering questions and playing "show and tell"

Old 02-24-2016, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Graham, you have good taste....center door's are rarely seen, and a very practical car year 'round. The '26 and '27 are the best T's mechanically, and are known as the 'improved car'. They all drive about the same.....the early open cars are the fastest, being light and having slightly higher compression. During WW1, the CR dropped to 3.98:1, so a tad less power than the earlier cars. Closed cars like yours usually have a 4:1 rear gear, as opposed to the 3.63 ratio used in cars like my Touring. Mine still has its original engine, at standard bore, with a casting date of "2-10-15", so it just turned 101 years old. I have kerosene cowl lamps and a kerosene tail lamp, but have the first year for magneto headlamps: work great in low gear, but in High gear, as the rpms drop, the lights get very, very dim! These cars are a real hoot to drive and ride in, and get a lot of attention, especially kids. I had a 10 year old on a skateboard yell at me: "Get a horse!". Good luck with your center door, and happy motoring.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I might have to go with something like a T the next time. Tired of worrying about engines surviving at 400hp, and .0005" worries, and $10,000 paint.

I want a car that thinks it's a tractor
I hear that...

Thanks, I signed up for all of those forums.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:51 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Pictures of my T bone
Sweet car! Looks all original, which is getting harder to experience these days. Most of them got heavily modified over the years although not as nearly as bad as Model A's.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Graham, you have good taste....center door's are rarely seen, and a very practical car year 'round. The '26 and '27 are the best T's mechanically, and are known as the 'improved car'. They all drive about the same.....the early open cars are the fastest, being light and having slightly higher compression. During WW1, the CR dropped to 3.98:1, so a tad less power than the earlier cars. Closed cars like yours usually have a 4:1 rear gear, as opposed to the 3.63 ratio used in cars like my Touring. Mine still has its original engine, at standard bore, with a casting date of "2-10-15", so it just turned 101 years old. I have kerosene cowl lamps and a kerosene tail lamp, but have the first year for magneto headlamps: work great in low gear, but in High gear, as the rpms drop, the lights get very, very dim! These cars are a real hoot to drive and ride in, and get a lot of attention, especially kids. I had a 10 year old on a skateboard yell at me: "Get a horse!". Good luck with your center door, and happy motoring.
I don't think the centredoors were ever thought of a car to save. Everyone wanted an open car and these were probably used as parts cars. And they're heavy. And tippy. To add to it, they were pretty expensive, so hot a lot sold. Especially in Canada. About 5 to 600 more than a roadster. Plus 1920 was a recession year.

From what I've been able to find out, my car has only had a couple of owners. It was restored by the guy who bought it during or just before the war. Sometime in the 70's. Local T experts say it has been babied all its life. The guy I got it from bought it from his estate. He was going to keep it, but something else got his interest. He only had it a couple of months.

All the original metal and drive parts. Still has cotton bands in the tranny. May be the originals. And has the unique to Canada stuff still there.

Mines a youngster. Only 96 years old. Hopefully in another month or so, I'll have it out. Can't wait.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:08 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Question

Quote:
Everyone should own a stock Model T once in their lifetime. I've got a 20 Centredoor and it's too much fun to be legal.
What is a "centredoor?" Is that what is sometimes called "suicide doors?"

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 02-25-2016, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Center door Model T, so called because of the door location:

Old 02-25-2016, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
What is a "centredoor?" Is that what is sometimes called "suicide doors?"
More like a "phone booth".

(lol)

Suicide doors open the wrong way. You can see them on a '32, '33, '34 three window coupe.

They open the "correct" way on a 5 window coupe.

See "Random Picture" thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...47#post5538147

K
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3 window coupe.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	421992   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 window coupe.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	421993  

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 02-25-2016 at 11:11 AM.