Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:15 PM
Senior Chief

Default Shipping Cost

Is there anyway you can get shipping cost down,
Purchase is shipped ups say at $24.00 but would fit in a postal box for $12.00.

Gregg

Old 07-26-2016, 04:54 PM
Ames Tech Staff member

You need to call us at 1-800-421-2637 to discuss this and see if there are any other shipping options.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:59 PM
Senior Chief

I ordered 7 wheel center caps. I was charged $32 in shipping. I live 357 miles from Ames. Once I saw what I was charged for shipping, I called and got the old cost/tier explanation. No offer to refund a portion. I could have shipped this order for $12 priority. A year ago we were told that Ames was going to do something about small costly orders. Still hasn't happened. I have spent thousands there over the last several years and I like the people, have been a supporter, but hate the BS shipping.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:19 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMES-TECH View Post
You need to call us at 1-800-421-2637 to discuss this and see if there are any other shipping options.
Shouldn't have to call for better price on shipping it should be your job to do the best you can by your customers.

Gregg

Old 07-26-2016, 08:32 PM
Ames Tech Staff member

We hear all of your concerns with shipping costs on smaller orders and have been working on ways to accommodate these concerns. But zephyrracer if you would like to inquire about shipping on a pending order you have, you will need to call us to determine if there is another option.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:33 PM
Senior Chief

No orders pending but again I shouldn't have to look for options, I am not angry I'm just stating what's obvious,
I shouldn't have to support you to buy from you business and service is on your sholders, on a good note can't just criticize without a positive , I buy from you because you give honest opinion on the quality of your product that means I'm comfedent with my purchase, us postal service is more times than not a better deal, and thanks for your response.

Gregg

Old 07-26-2016, 09:35 PM
Senior Chief

A side note I never ask what shipping cost is , I expect the people I purchase from to do what's best.

Gregg

Old 08-17-2016, 06:09 PM

Default shipping suggestions..

Sure would be nice to have free shipping after a specified amount purchased like $250.00. That would beat the OPG guys as their number is $500. I would think the sales would increase significantly. Also the additional charges for over sized products are a huge deal breaker. Please help us out Ames. I support Trump but just don't have his kind of money!

Old 08-17-2016, 06:38 PM
Senior Chief

I think cost savings could be passed on by using USPC if it fits it ships this is about 1/3 of Ames ship price, everything I order comes in an Ames box, looks nice with their logo the cost of their box has to be passed on its always 4 times biggest than it should be cost of filler has to be passed on, warehousin the boxes has to be passed on, Ames wouldn't have to purchase many boxes because they are free at USPS and shipping would be a third of what we're paying now.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:40 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrracer View Post
I think cost savings could be passed on by using USPC if it fits it ships this is about 1/3 of Ames ship price, everything I order comes in an Ames box, looks nice with their logo the cost of their box has to be passed on its always 4 times biggest than it should be cost of filler has to be passed on, warehousin the boxes has to be passed on, Ames wouldn't have to purchase many boxes because they are free at USPS and shipping would be a third of what we're paying now.
Just saying, I some time don't order or wait because of the cost to ship.

Gregg

Old 08-17-2016, 09:40 PM
Senior Chief

Many times shipping charges are used as a way to improve the bottom line of companies. Much like baggage fees that airlines impose. With the amount of shipping that Ames does, they should be able to secure some really good prices with Fedex, UPS or USPS which most likely they have but it's just not being passed on. I just ordered a couple of little things maybe 3lbs shipping 2d $69+

Old 08-17-2016, 09:43 PM
Senior Chief

If anyone is interested, I can post some Fedex shipping charges for our company and you would be amazed at how little it can cost. How about 28.00 for 60 pounds.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:05 PM
Senior Chief

The cost of shipping goes up every time they throw in a catalog.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Get over it guys. Ames will charge what they want to charge and that's that. I learned that when I had an $11,000 order I was ready to place. Pay it or shop.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On small size orders or low cost orders shipping becomes a major factor. I run a small repair business and used to use Rock Auto for most of my internet repair parts. Shipping cost was also a problem with them. I can now usually get the same exact parts from Amazon for the same cost or less and free shipping. If Ames says they are looking at options, I believe them. Shipping costs are costing them and others some business.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:37 PM

It's a shame as I would like to make multiple item orders with Ames but the shipping cost is a deal breaker. I now find myself shopping around and can usually come up with the same items for a total cost that's cheaper than Ames. Oversize items are completely out of the question to purchase other than at shows. I sincerely hope that Ames comes up with better shipping options or petitions their carriers for better rates. Sure miss Performance Years....