THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default New Tesla battery makes it the fastest production car in the world

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/23/tech...iid=TL_Popular

Tesla's cars are now among the fastest on Earth.
The company said Tuesday that a new battery will allow its Model S to go from 0 to 60 mph in just 2.5 seconds -- making it the fastest production car in the world.

To be fair, the Porsche 918 Spyder and the LaFerrari are both capable of that acceleration. But both of those cars were "limited run, million dollar vehicles" that are no longer for sale, Tesla said in a blog post.

But Tesla's new, speedier cars will be much less expensive, starting at about $134,000.
The new battery is dubbed the P100D -- "P" is for performance -- and it will be available for Tesla's Model S sedans and Model X SUVs.

"Without customers willing to buy the expensive Model S and X, we would be unable to fund the smaller, more affordable Model 3 development."
The new 100 kWh battery will also give the Model S a range of 315 miles before it needs a charge.
With the P100D battery, the Model X will go from 0 to 60 mph in just 2.9 seconds and have a driving range of up to 289 miles.

Customers who have already placed orders for a car with a P90D battery can upgrade to the P100D for an additional $10,000. Owners of cars with the P90D that are already on the road can swap their battery pack for a $20,000 fee (including a battery recycling fee.)
Earlier this month, Telsa CEO Elon Musk told investors that he plans to unveil two new products -- a semi-truck and minibus -- sometime before Spring 2017.

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 08-23-2016, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They are doing super cool stuff there (im interested in the home battery for sure). The performance cant be denied. I just dont think the charging technology is quite there yet. Until you can make long trips without very careful route planning I dont think they will command much of a market share.

If your the person who lives his life for years at a time in a 50 mile radius though its a great car.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 08-23-2016, 10:36 PM

The article should say quickest, not fastest. The fastest car is the Bugatti Veyron.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

correct racer X. big diff from quickest and fastest. Besides, gas engines or nothing for me.

1969 GTO Judge Warwick blue/blue, RAIII, 4 speed, tach/gauges, Safe T track, 3.55's, ps and radio.

1971 Torino 351c 4v GT convertible. White on white with black interior
4 speed, shaker, am/fm, ps/pdb, buckets/console, ac.
One of 26 made
Old 08-24-2016, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That hollow-core Li-Po battery to get the heat out huh. No doubt for me that electric power will out-accelerate our cast iron twist monsters.

We need a matter transporter, don't we.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know electrics are the way of the future, but doing a big, nasty burnout without the corresponding engine/exhaust noise is just weird.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:07 AM
Senior Chief

Safe, too (and reasonable customer service) ...

https://electrek.co/2016/08/22/tesla...ton-minnesota/

Kinda ironic ...?

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...tock/88548252/

Old 08-24-2016, 11:30 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69goatboy View Post
I know electrics are the way of the future, but doing a big, nasty burnout without the corresponding engine/exhaust noise is just weird.
On the other hand, you probably wouldn't wind up with old guys having to wear TWO hearing aids.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 08-24-2016, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_x View Post
The article should say quickest, not fastest. The fastest car is the Bugatti Veyron.
Totally agree. Sometimes it's as if people who write this stuff know very little. I'd argue it's the Chiron, they just haven't made public the proof of it yet.

0-60 in 2.5 is much more fun on Ducati tho

Old 08-24-2016, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From what I've heard, those lightning-fast acceleration runs are only possible in the Tesla once a special mode is activated. After a run, the battery and system needs to cool, so the mode won't work for a while. It's not a "stoplight to stoplight" feature.

Also - from my time as a kid with remote control cars, I learned that high performance takes lots of energy. You can put that $20,000 battery in your Tesla and have 315 miles of range, or you can have a lead foot and get (probably significantly) less range. You can't have both.

I think Tesla's focus on performance is mis-guided. Toyota didn't sell 2 million Prius' because they are fast and fun to drive. All these headlines are to take everyone's attention away from the 500,000 Model 3 orders that he has taken deposits for - and done nothing to fill yet.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
From what I've heard, those lightning-fast acceleration runs are only possible in the Tesla once a special mode is activated.
There are a few modes, which are very easily selectable in the vehicle menu.

As you pointed out, you certainly don't want to be in that mode all the time giving max power to the motors.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
If your the person who lives his life for years at a time in a 50 mile radius though its a great car.
I typically only drive around 100 miles per week, so the Tesla's ~300 mile range would work for me 98% of the time. I agree it would be tricky for taking long trips.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
I think Tesla's focus on performance is mis-guided. Toyota didn't sell 2 million Prius' because they are fast and fun to drive. All these headlines are to take everyone's attention away from the 500,000 Model 3 orders that he has taken deposits for - and done nothing to fill yet.
I think you nailed it with that comment.

This has all the makings of a ponzi scheme.

The only thing is, Musk already has a net worth north of $12,000,000,000.00 and typically those aren't the guys that run those schemes.

But the automobile industry can eat $12,000,000,000.00 quicker than most.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had the chance to drive a Tesla Model X P85D a few weeks ago.

I nailed the throttle from a dead stop a couple times in "ludicrous" mode. The acceleration for the first second or so is so violent that it induced dizziness. It's quite the rush. By the time it's going ~45 mph, the acceleration is nothing special -- lots of other cars feel as quick or quicker from that speed.

I can understand why the people who buy them get attached to them.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 08-24-2016, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
They get attached because they can't afford to lose all that money with a trade-in to something else. LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
50 miles? Oh hell no. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P2b_ygxIRY

Old 08-26-2016, 12:33 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
By the time it's going ~45 mph, the acceleration is nothing special -- lots of other cars feel as quick or quicker from that speed.

The initial rush is because electric motors make maximum torque at zero RPM. Some interesting information here.

http://www.nedra.com/

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 08-28-2016, 10:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default New Tesla

Sorry, but these things just don't do a thing for me. And did anyone notice the article said this Tesla weighed 5400+ pounds, about the same as the SUV that creamed it? I guess much of that is attributable to the batteries, but it looks awful small to be that heavy. It sure seemed to have a S-load of air bags, though. Of course, if they were all from Takata.......