THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Wild_Cat View Post
+1...Ignition kill switch hidden - the car turns over but will not fire. Most aren't smart enough to realize that it isn't just a hard-starting hot rod.

In a stick car - a brace between the clutch pedal and the floor with a lock is another option I have seen.
+1 on the kill "switch" but I just ran a wire from the coil to ground with spade type connector in it, hanging under the dash. Connect the two ends and the car will crank but won't start.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:10 PM
Senior Chief

[QUOTE=1_Wild_Cat;5624757]+1...Ignition kill switch hidden - the car turns over but will not fire. Most aren't smart enough to realize that it isn't just a hard-starting hot rod.

Yes - Kill switch. If you are in Oildale, most won't be able to figure it out.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

LOL! I don't even drive near Oildale unless I'm going past on the 99 or Golden State Hwy haha! I live in the way SW by Buena Vista and Panama.

I like the idea of a kill switch too. The idea of wiring it into the cig lighter seems pretty damn cool.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just try to slow them down.I've used fake coil wire.Also 3/8 ball valve in fuel line,within easy reach.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:33 PM
Suspended

I have used a kill switch on my older car, one that during my 1st divorce had to go to the X-wife. I use to go by at her work & turn the car off & then come back later after she had to get a ride home & turn it back on. I think I did that about 5-6 times just to screw with her . She never caught on but later gave it back to me because it wan't dependable. She went out & bought a newer car & I got one of my toys back.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
It's much easier to steal a car with a tow truck. To combat that, I used to crank the steering wheel all the way to one side and put "the club" on.
Indeed. I watched a tow truck driver load a car that had the wheel turned almost fully with rubber skids in less than 5 minutes.

To summarize: a determine thief is GOING to get your car. Insure it for what it's worth and try to minimize the kids doing stupid joy-riding stuff (like pulling the coil or grounding the coil negative).

Old 09-03-2016, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

^^^ I Agree. The cars with the column ignition switches can be stolen with simple hand tools. I had a beater Omni and the key broke off in the ignition switch in the McCormick Place (convention center) parking garage. Towing would have been more than what the car was worth. I was able to bust the switch apart and "steal" it using pliers and a screw driver. I was ignored by people walking by as I was beating on the ignition switch.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A car chained to a tree or a utility pole isn't going to be taken easily by a rollback or any other type truck. Probably the only way the repo/wrecker man isn't going to get a car, until he gets someone there to cut the chain/cable.

For a thief to cut it he's going to spending a great deal of time and if anyone is in the vicinity they're going to pay attention to it. Probably going to move onto easier pickins

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 09-03-2016, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Visible deterrents like chains and tire boots are good as they deter. But the theif that wants it will just be that much more prepared when they do come after seeing what they need. So both, visible and hidden methods are the best.

I love the idea of a fake coil wire or some other totally hidden method. If you ground the coil I think that will not allow them to hot-wire it too, right? meaning, even a new jumper wire from battery to coil will just be grounding as well.

469, M21, 3.42
Old 09-03-2016, 10:58 PM
Senior Chief

[QUOTE=92GTA;5624804]LOL! I don't even drive near Oildale unless I'm going past on the 99 or Golden State Hwy haha! I live in the way SW by Buena Vista and Panama.

Off topic - I grew up in a **** hole called "Pumpkin Center". Might be the 1st time I have ever admitted it. (Panama was my elementary school).

Old 09-04-2016, 04:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpaul View Post
Off topic - I grew up in a **** hole called "Pumpkin Center". Might be the 1st time I have ever admitted it. (Panama was my elementary school).
Yeah yeah, there used to be a whole bunch of salvage yards in that area..

Old 09-05-2016, 03:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Agree with dis-abling the coil. Lots of ways to do it, but if you can make it so you can 'activate' it from the interior, potential observers won't pick up on it.
If you have an electric fuel pump, it would be less likely to have problems with wet down cylinders from a failed theft to rig a fuel shut-off instead of ignition kill switch.

I wish I had done something as simple as a fuel/ignition disconnect on my nice LeSabre T-type that got stolen seven years ago. The thieves had likely staked it out, knowing I didn't drive it for long periods at a time.
All I've got left to show for it is the driver's door lock cylinder and a tattered build sheet.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:59 PM
Senior Chief

If you are sure your car wont be left alone rent a container and park the car in? The neighbours may not like the view but ........

Old 09-05-2016, 08:30 PM
Senior Chief

how 'bout sleeping in the trunk w/a 12 gauge?

Old 09-05-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsie View Post
how 'bout sleeping in the trunk w/a 12 gauge?
Like a trunk monkey?

Old 09-05-2016, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Set a switch in the driver's seat so when someone does try to steal it, it starts a clock ticking. Have a video camera set up so you can see how fast they run. LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzn68 View Post
Like a trunk monkey?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqB6uM2hRpo

If you have a electric fuel pump, you can kill that. They may get a block away, then abandon the car. I would ground the - side of the coil with a switch.

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There was/is a product that I recall seeing that attached to your starter solenoid.
It needed a key fob within the vicinity to activate and allow the starter to function, otherwise no electrical contact can be made.
I think it was called Powerlock or Powerlink? Something like that.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69goatboy View Post
There was/is a product that I recall seeing that attached to your starter solenoid.
It needed a key fob within the vicinity to activate and allow the starter to function, otherwise no electrical contact can be made.
I think it was called Powerlock or Powerlink? Something like that.
PowerLock Starter Immobilizer

That sounded awesome but looks like it hasn't be made in years and years :/ Can't find one eBay.

Wonder if anyone else make super basic starter immobilizers like that?!

Old 09-06-2016, 09:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
I have used a kill switch on my older car, one that during my 1st divorce had to go to the X-wife. I use to go by at her work & turn the car off & then come back later after she had to get a ride home & turn it back on. I think I did that about 5-6 times just to screw with her . She never caught on but later gave it back to me because it wan't dependable. She went out & bought a newer car & I got one of my toys back.
I like the way you think, Rex!

69 Judge convertible........clone! Carousel red, parchment, hideaways, TH400, 10" Continental 3200 stall, 12 bolt with 3.42, 469 c.i. with ported #48's, ported cast iron intake, Cliff's Q-Jet and ported 2-1/2" Ram Air manifolds.