THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

....the glass is twice the size it need be, so the glass working at 50% of full rating.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I spent seven years as an engineer in nonwovens manufacturing. Nonwovens are in nearly every car these days particularly seats and upholstery but few have ever heard of them. Where most people encounter nonwovens are in medical and hygiene applications such as diapers, fabric softener sheets, or bandages or in construction applications such as house wrap.

My undergrad degree was a BSE with a Mechanical Engineering major. I left engineering because of being on the short side of decisions way too many times. "Well, that's a business decision." I left and went to b-school like so many others and never went back to manufacturing. I miss it, just the ability to see a tangible good being made as well as the travel. For nearly five years I traveled to Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Canada and about 10 other states to work with our other facilities. As a mid 20s young man spending 8-10 weeks a year down in Latin America was a great time.

1970 Buick Skylark Custom convertible(driver) Fire Red
1972 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 Royal Blue
Old 09-11-2016, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The glass was made in China. It won't be long before it fails, and none of this will matter.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
The glass was made in China. It won't be long before it fails, and none of this will matter.
It will be fine under 6000 sips per hour

Old 09-11-2016, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
I hate to say this, but the odds of any 60+ getting a job besides the local hardware store, auto parts counter, or Walmart greeter are slim and none.

I retired at 62 and have a couple buddies who are trying to hang on to their jobs but companies nowadays have no heart and no loyalties to their long term employees. Every fay, people our age get sat down, handed a separation agreement, 3 months severance and are told if they don't accept the terms and sign the hold harmless agreement within 48 hours, the severance offer is rescinded.

It's the mew world order.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not in my field. I'm 64 and I turned down 2 job offers last week. One was as a contractor (Florida) and the Intel gig was direct.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:35 PM
Senior Chief

I just retired after 35 years as an electrical engineer(BSEE, MSEE).

The H1B program is part of the problem; many engineering jobs are being filled by foreign engineers who will work cheap. Most of the big tech companies with deep pockets and lobbyists in Washington use this stinky piece of legislation. They claim there aren't enough American engineers so they recruit in India (for example) and bring them here on green cards.

64 GTO convertible, gone but not forgotten
76 CB750K
72 CB350F

" why yes, I am old school, so what?"
Old 09-16-2016, 03:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sad week.

A talented 50+ colleague, collaborator, and friend, hired and relocated with a carrot of opportunity just 3 yrs ago, was RIFd Monday.

No mercy, no empathy, just gone.

Pray for him and others affected, he's hurting.

Us survivors have our vulnerability freshly exposed.