Pontiac - Race The next Level

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 11:21 AM
Senior Chief

If you are a moderator do you lose your First Amendment Rights?

Old 09-23-2016, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm crazy why would you care ? Reread comprehend learn

Old 09-23-2016, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmissle View Post
I'm crazy why would you care ? Reread comprehend learn
... stop deflecting Jeff, i already apologized for insinuating you were mentally retarded, it was not a literal reference Jeff, you know how to read, you obviously can spell and such, you can communicate and carry on a lucid conversation for sure, it was not a reference to your actual mental state, but a reference to your actions concerning the CV-1 engine in your GTO, so how about we just get down to brass tax here bud, you've been poking, and prodding for a very long time now so here's your chance, tell everyone what your problem is, so we can see just how much of a monster i have been to you ??? ...

... or will you keep deflecting ??? ... seriously, what are you afraid of Jeff ?? ...

Old 09-23-2016, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpenrod View Post
... that goes both ways you know ??? ...

Old 09-23-2016, 11:57 AM
Senior Chief

I don't like repeating myself, but one last time (I hope), I'll try to clarify my points about Jim, Bill and everyone else who posts anywhere, texts, writes a letter, etc.:

How you write is how you are perceived.

If you write consistently in incomplete sentences, do not capitalize where required, do not punctuate your sentences, misspell words regularly (no matter how humorous), and write in a fashion which causes the reader to be confused, then your reader's impression of you might be one who can't be bothered to communicate clearly, or who is incapable of communicating clearly.

That sort of behavior leads the reader to question with whom he is dealing. We all make mistakes, but when everything written is in the same vein, then the impression is a negative one.

I say this only to try and help your professional image.

Bill, what do you think the effect of you arguing with Jeff about a personal issue is to the readers here? I know already that you'll tell us that he said this bad about me and poked me in the eye. He can do that, it's his prerogative, HE is a dissatisfied customer. You are in business to make money, presumably by showing the world that you produce outstanding products with excellent customer service.

Even in the best of shops, sometimes things go wrong. Customers walk away unhappy. It's up to you to handle it with grace and humility. You want the business. I'm in a service industry, I get it. Your posts do not help your cause, nor Jim's. If you can accept that this critique is offered without malice, you can truly benefit from a change on your part.

You have the power to change what you do on these boards. Brag about your work. Don't devolve into name calling, it doesn't help your business.

Sincerely,

Stuart

Old 09-23-2016, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Certainly some things in there all could learn by.

From my perspective this whole thing just doesn't make any sense? I have raced my whole life and bought countless products that get touted. I've been used in ads for Comp Cams in Hot Rod and many others. Not one single product has resulted in people not connected to the product maligning the product and dragging my name into the mud with total misinformation as if they had never even seen those products go fast!! Do you think there has ever been a bashing of a Brodix head or even Mr. Brodix (I don't know if there is a Mr. Brodix, it is an example) for a product offering in the way seen here? Or continued running down of the users of their products? Never for any manufacturer EVER.

From my first call to Jim I knew he knew what customer service meant. Some stories I could tell about how much help I received would seem made up. And I paid for everything, happily! So there is no purchased loyalty and to be brutally honest, if I felt a better product for the money was there that would make me faster, I'd buy it! I have done it many times previously to get to the CVs.

Jim put his heart and soul into bringing great heads to the market because he loved Pontiacs and the Pontiac people. He is a good person and doesn't deserve some of the destructive comments or misinformation pushed out on this forum. Unfortunately, I think this undue rhetoric has jaded him a bit and he can be too defensive. There is a lesson he can learn, and I've passed that to him as well.

We are a small community! A small community that should be praising efforts and respecting those who are willing to take on the challenge. What is witnessed here by some is not appropriate, nor is it seen anywhere else on the planet.

My $.02
Well said Robin.
I dont own a set yet but plan to. I dont get paid or expect any freebies for defending the product.
I took it on myself to learn what I could about CV1's as they were controversial from the start. I wasnt asked to defend the product or the people involved. I wasnt trying to defend for that matter. Misinformation disinformation was out there(still is) and I felt I should try to to seperate fact from fiction. Inevitably I wasnt perfect and called on things and corrected or apologized. Just to be clear I never gave out HP numbers and mostly talked potential. Flow numbers... many a trip to the shop to verify what I was told. Often saw numbers that showed more or better than those but with a port not being fully developed I wasnt going to say anything more than possiblle potential.

Most didnt seem to object. The ones who started trying to smear me were the ones who had most to lose(or friends/customers of theirs) if the head was a success.
That tends to make you defensive(to say the least) If it was affecting my livlihood I'd abandon coventional business manners at times too. My 30 + years face to face servicing the equipment of thousands of business customers(mom and pops to corporate giants) you do everything to try and please them... Occaisionally there come a few you cant please and you lose the customer. If the customer then attacks or discredits your business and negatively impacts you, it sometimes, if warranted, goes to court. If a customer seems to have been thrown under a bus there is reason for it and you should hear/see both sides of it before passing judgement.
Jim and Bill and Calvin have gone out of the way to please and then some but there are a few customers they had little choice left but cut ties with them... Sometimes looking uglier than a court case once it hit the Pontiac forums.
In a nutshell they are fiercly loyal to their customers and friends. They offer very good product and services. Is it possible a few tried to take advantage?

Old 09-23-2016, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't have any of the CV-1 heads but I have followed what is going on with them from the beginning.

1. Pontiac Dude kept telling us they were the best thing since sliced bread only to later recant all of that and switch combo's...

2. Mystic - Used to tell us they were the best thing since a pocket on a T-shirt to later recant all of that and switch combo's.

3. S/st was a vehement supporter of the CV program and mentioned how great they were only to completely switch engine camps and recant his support of the product.

4. Rusty4cyl - Huge supporter of the CV-1 camp who recanted and switched to a different head combo.

5. goatracer - fast Nitrous Mustang guy no longer runs the CV head and may have switched engine camps as well - not sure without digging...

6. Dino - was going to beat everyone with his CV combo but got so aggravated that he sold out and bought a boat (you can have a boat and a car too)...

Who all have I missed?

I am wondering who will be the next Ex CV guy who is now posting on this thread about how great they are that will change his combo up and pretend like he never said the stuff he did later?

Some guys never had a set but are huge Cheeleaders...ome have a set but haven't gotten them running so I am going to throw them in Cheerleader camp too...

I never post about how great any head is unless I have personal experience ie on my own car...I had high hopes for Edelbrocks Pro Port to come out as an actual buy it now race head that could be bought in assembled form or bare but completed to the point you could buy your own head components and put it together the way you liked but we all know that didn't happen.

All I have ever run is either iron heads or Edelbrock Performer RPM heads and I can tell you even though they are a huge pile of chit to some they will sure put a smile on your face. I have a set of 1st gen Edelbrock 87cc heads on my 8-71 blown street car with the multiple length head bolts and I am having 0 oil issues and have no modifications done for that. I have no performance numbers but in NA form without the adder I could drive it 65 miles to the track on pump 91 and turn 10.60's at 3850 lbs and drive home...never run hot...gas at most any gas station. With the blower the engine has a bunch more of everything and I didn't even change the cam...

My other set flow 314 cfm and are 72cc. I had them ported by a chebby guy in a wheel chair for $300 and then took them and had them flowed. The flow bench operator said they were the quietest head he had ever flowed. I put them on my 462 for my 3400 lb "tagged small tire race car" and ran 9.90's at around 139 MPH until the stock block/crank gave it up in April 2013 on the Highway 1 mile from my house (Block took out crank).

I am looking to step it up with an aftermarket block because I have been out of the racing for a few years now. I have thought Hi Ports from KRE but I have outrun a bunch of those with my E's in similar config. I like the Tiger head but probably won't use it, I really like the DCI RAV and that may be the ticket if I can get a quality header that fit's my chassis. Won't consider the CV-1 because too many have jumped ship even though according to reports "every single person who has ever used them has picked up"...I know If I pick up I don't jump ship that quick...

What will actually probably actually happen for me is either my E-heads will be sent to SD performance for more port work or I will just step up to a Wide Port E because I have a bunch of experience with the E-heads and I have never have had an issue with quality or performance on them...

Old 09-23-2016, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
I don't like repeating myself, but one last time (I hope), I'll try to clarify my points about Jim, Bill and everyone else who posts anywhere, texts, writes a letter, etc.:

How you write is how you are perceived.

If you write consistently in incomplete sentences, do not capitalize where required, do not punctuate your sentences, misspell words regularly (no matter how humorous), and write in a fashion which causes the reader to be confused, then your reader's impression of you might be one who can't be bothered to communicate clearly, or who is incapable of communicating clearly.

That sort of behavior leads the reader to question with whom he is dealing. We all make mistakes, but when everything written is in the same vein, then the impression is a negative one.

I say this only to try and help your professional image.

Bill, what do you think the effect of you arguing with Jeff about a personal issue is to the readers here? I know already that you'll tell us that he said this bad about me and poked me in the eye. He can do that, it's his prerogative, HE is a dissatisfied customer. You are in business to make money, presumably by showing the world that you produce outstanding products with excellent customer service.

Even in the best of shops, sometimes things go wrong. Customers walk away unhappy. It's up to you to handle it with grace and humility. You want the business. I'm in a service industry, I get it. Your posts do not help your cause, nor Jim's. If you can accept that this critique is offered without malice, you can truly benefit from a change on your part.

You have the power to change what you do on these boards. Brag about your work. Don't devolve into name calling, it doesn't help your business.

Sincerely,

Stuart

... let's be very clear here, as i am not arguing with Jeff, as we both know where his beef is derived from Slick, all i'm trying to do is to get him to tell everyone reading this (pig-in -the-mud nonsense) what that beef actually is from his words ... not mine, but yet he declines to do so ?? ...

... if i or we, or the head is such the enemy here, then why would he not jump at the opportunity to tell the truth from his perspective of it ??? ...

... i mean he is obviously right here and we are wrong, correct ??? ...

... and please do not give me advice about devolving into name calling, Jeff Rana has made a direct concerted effort to contact the company that i have done development work for concerning the CV-1 program, and contending that i am bad for business, and that said company should look elsewhere for development, directly to that company ??? ... who does that ??? ...do you seriously support that kind of malicious effort to ruin someone's career Slick ??? ... to go that far out of his way to remove someone from what they do for a living ??? ...

... i have never attacked Jeff Rana in such an egregious manor ever, but yet you're going to contest spelling and diction from a manufacturer ??? ... no offense Slick, but that is horribly petty and thin at the very least, especially given the track record for Roland's customer service, IMO there is none better ...

...so, all that being said i assure you, we know a Jeff Rana that you simply do not know, which ultimately i can't blame you for ...

Last edited by Anderson Port Development; 09-23-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=Anderson Port Development;5633920
... and please do not give me advice about devolving into name calling, Jeff Rana has made a direct concerted effort to contact the company that i have done development work for concerning the CV-1 program, and contending that i am bad for business, and that said company should look elsewhere for development, directly to that company ??? ... who does that ??? ...do you seriously support that kind of malicious effort to ruin someone's career Slick ??? ... to go that far out of his way to remove someone from what they do for a living ??? ...

My conversation with Roland?
I was correct then as I am now. You may have the neccesary skills to make the head better but you are now and were then, bad for his business

Old 09-23-2016, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

WOW! are all of you serious?

You all sound like a bunch of media hacks talking on the election, you know the type...no experience with the election or the candidate but know everything there possibly can be known due to remembrance of someone elses opinion or rumor.
It is a shame because a really good product with a solid fit for the hobby is now once again maligned by a few (and now supported by the mod) when an updated version is brought to market. Not sure if I would have re invested in the Pontiac market after the first go round-Jim your a stand up guy for that.
I have dealt with Jim and Bill obviously, they both have gone above and beyond for me when the crook Charlie Sikes and the owner of The Race Shop totally botched my head work. Thanks Bill for straightening them up.
Ive been busy for the past few years and haven't had the chance to get on the boards much let alone out with the car till now. Don't know if I'll post the results though due to this BS.

A word to the mods...Myself and many others have always had a level of respect due to the enforcement of certain decorum on the boards, too bad that is starting to slip like a factory trans on a newly turboed car. The clubhouse is where this BS belongs, if at all.

Turbo 535, CV 1 heads.

Built by Cerralli Competition Engines

Tenth Anniversary (Van Nuys) restored.
Tenth Anniversary Barn Find (Norwood)
Both 4 speeds!
Old 09-23-2016, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Goat1 View Post
What will actually probably actually happen for me is either my E-heads will be sent to SD performance for more port work or I will just step up to a Wide Port E because I have a bunch of experience with the E-heads and I have never have had an issue with quality or performance on them...
Post the ETs of the guys who switched who went faster.

As far as your next build ( I'm not taking on any new work, so don't take this as lobbying for it)

Ask Dave at SD what's the most HP his standard port Eheads made. I'm pretty sure his KRE HPs have made more.

Looks like you were around 700HP with you build, how much do you want to pick up?

Building a bigger motor does not mean you will make more power.

My cookie cutter CNC heads have made the following.
340 CFM Eheads 789 HP on 535ci
410 CFM KRE HPs 925 HP on 535ci
435 CFM CV-1 999 HP on 511ci

Talk to a good head porter not tied to the Pontiac drama and just talk about valve size, angle, port height, truly technical details built into the heads. See if they tell you the best head is the Performer.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Old 09-23-2016, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=mysticmissle;5633929][QUOTE=Anderson Port Development;5633920

My conversation with Roland?
I was correct then as I am now. You may have the neccesary skills to make the head better but you are now and were then, bad for his business[/QUOTE]

... oh yeah ??? thanks for admitting that Jeff, as that is a good start to your treacherous actions towrads me, but i'll tell you to ask that opinion of Dick Fulton and see what he tells you sir ...

... now, back to what i asked of you, why will you not inform everyone one watching this pig-in-the-mud BS why you have such a hard on for me ??? ...

... are you scared or something ??? that maybe not everyone will agree with your reasons for crapping on me to the level that you have Jeff ??? ...

... by all means sir, spill those beans jeff ...

Old 09-23-2016, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65nss4spdGTO View Post

As far as your next build ( I'm not taking on any new work, so don't take this as lobbying for it)

Ask Dave at SD what's the most HP his standard port Eheads made. I'm pretty sure his KRE HPs have made more.

Looks like you were around 700HP with you build, how much do you want to pick up?

Talk to a good head porter not tied to the Pontiac drama and just talk about valve size, angle, port height, truly technical details built into the heads. See if they tell you the best head is the Performer.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

... EXACTLY CALVIN !!!!!!! ...

Old 09-23-2016, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankbook View Post
WOW! are all of you serious?

You all sound like a bunch of media hacks talking on the election, you know the type...no experience with the election or the candidate but know everything there possibly can be known due to remembrance of someone elses opinion or rumor.
It is a shame because a really good product with a solid fit for the hobby is now once again maligned by a few (and now supported by the mod) when an updated version is brought to market. Not sure if I would have re invested in the Pontiac market after the first go round-Jim your a stand up guy for that.
I have dealt with Jim and Bill obviously, they both have gone above and beyond for me when the crook Charlie Sikes and the owner of The Race Shop totally botched my head work. Thanks Bill for straightening them up.
Ive been busy for the past few years and haven't had the chance to get on the boards much let alone out with the car till now. Don't know if I'll post the results though due to this BS.

A word to the mods...Myself and many others have always had a level of respect due to the enforcement of certain decorum on the boards, too bad that is starting to slip like a factory trans on a newly turboed car. The clubhouse is where this BS belongs, if at all.
... :u sflag: ...

Old 09-23-2016, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1433.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	437234

Old 09-23-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
I can say that Jim has more than been fair and more than once bent over backwards with regard to customer service for me. I have no complaints with him or Bill whatsoever.
X2

Jim has always gone above and beyond the call of duty to help me. Anytime I have a problem or question, I call or text him and he comes back with answers or offers to help. Whether it's advice, offering his services or offering to send me parts. That included my race car and my latest project, my 64 Grand Prix. Same engine, basically, just made it pump gas friendly now. Heck, he even texted me last week while I was on Drag Week just to see how things where going and to see if I needed anything.

Same goes for Calvin Hill, he's gone out of his way to help me, as well.

People are always going to have their opinion, good or bad. But, I'm sold on the CV-1's and glad I switched to them.

....and btw, they performed perfectly on Drag Week, raced at 4 different tracks in 5 days and drove 1100+ miles in the process, engine temp never got over 180.

Kelvin

'61 Tempest wagon 2Dr, '05 GTO LS2 powered, 12.39 @ 109 mph at Drag week 2015 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsVRzMXERtA

'64 Grand Prix, Pump gas, 529ci., CV-1 Heads, Holley Dominator EFI. - Single turbo in progress..

'70 Trans Am, Ram Air III 400 - 4 speed.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65nss4spdGTO View Post

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420
Guess I am confused on the first question about ET's of guys who went Faster... TTB knows all that stuff because he has been throwing it around all over the forums for years but for some reason even though everybody went faster according to him with CV heads then why did they jump ship?

I was 719 HP for $300 in port work and the cost of a set of heads from Summit on a stock block/stock crank 462. My heads have never been worked on by a "Pontiac" guy...pretty good bang for the buck for the low investment...I built the engine to be as easy on parts as I could with a cam that didn't require a lifter brace etc...very low buck deal but as with all low buck deals like that the stock Pontiac 455 block is always the weak point if you have decent rods...

Congrats on the Dyno numbers for the CV - How does the CV engine perform in a car? Weight? Trans? etc...

With all due respect If we couldn't get more then 789 HP out of a set of mild E's on a 535 then even though you are busy we still wouldn't be talking about it...I am pretty sure 800+ is going to be a no brainer and I won't be happy with less than 850 and that is certainly within the capabilities of the "Easy" Button for E-heads...Can probably drop compression some and get that out of the DCI heads...I know 3 guys who switched to HP's that slowed down from their E's but to be fair 1 friend sold his set to another so it was only 2 sets of heads. I drove 1 of the cars and it seemed lazy... I am sure with lots of tuning, a bigger cam, more gear, more stall they would have been comparable but it was just a head switch deal and to go from running 10.30's to 10.80's and being tapped on funds they just sold out and went back to what they had that worked. Don't get me wrong - If you do all the stuff to make them work a KRE HP is a great head but when you get outrun by a set of Summit Racing E-heads with $300 in grinding on them you pretty much just get dejected about the whole deal...

I am not sure what CI I am going to go with but to me a "Bigger Motor" is more than 462 ci...

By the way I never said the E-head was the end all be all head for a Pontiac but for the low amount of money I have in mine I am pretty happy to have been able to outrun some of the "Pontiac Exotics up to and including CV-!'s at our track as you see, there are more than just the few sets guys on these boards are using floating around out there and to say nobody has done anything at all for 3 years with them is ludicrous...to think just because everyone isn't using you or Bill specifically for their builds doesn't mean someone no one is building a CV engine with all the old heads floating around out there...Heck the only Pontiac engine type shop I have ever dealt with is Butler and I only ordered a few parts from them and when I build my engine I will order parts for it but nobody anyone here knows will be the Machine Shop and Engine Builder...

Old 09-23-2016, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin Poe View Post
X2

Jim has always gone above and beyond the call of duty to help me. Anytime I have a problem or question, I call or text him and he comes back with answers or offers to help. Whether it's advice, offering his services or offering to send me parts. That included my race car and my latest project, my 64 Grand Prix. Same engine, basically, just made it pump gas friendly now. Heck, he even texted me last week while I was on Drag Week just to see how things where going and to see if I needed anything.

Same goes for Calvin Hill, he's gone out of his way to help me, as well.

People are always going to have their opinion, good or bad. But, I'm sold on the CV-1's and glad I switched to them.

....and btw, they performed perfectly on Drag Week, raced at 4 different tracks in 5 days and drove 1100+ miles in the process, engine temp never got over 180.

Kelvin
Are these cars supposed to get over 180? I know I have never had a temperature problem with my E heads and my blower car drives everywhere with no inter cooler and when I am out and about nobody can believe how cool it runs with a roots blower because everyone knows a roots blown deal runs hot, right? 12 lbs boost, 11% underdriven...

Guys who have hot running cars have issues other than heads...

Old 09-23-2016, 03:04 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpenrod View Post
Moderators are generally expected to remain neutral in forum conflicts, and if that means holding back opinions...yes. But they are also expected to limit negativity.

This is the EXACT same reason we have a specific subforum for providing feedback for sellers called "Pontiac Business Entities Exchange", and also why users other than those in direct transaction are not allowed to post there.

Does that mean the technical aspects of a product shouldn't be discussed elsewhere? Not at all. For example if you go into the 70-73 firebird tech section you may see someone comment positively or negatively on the fit or finish of a part.

But this long ago went way beyond that, and it is a moderator's job to see that does not happen. I belong to another pair of racing forums. They are NOT drag racing forums. In those forums the guys help each other out, discuss stuff, etc. Are they still competitive??? Yes. But not to the detriment of others.

I guarantee there have been personality conflicts there. Its natural. But either the members themselves just choose to walk the other way, or the moderators keep it in check. My feeling is its a bit of both.

But I'm not kidding when I said I think Yellow Bullet like thought process and trash talking has affected a group of racers here.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:11 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankbook View Post

I agree, but this isn't new in this forum section. It has been going on for the past 7 years. You know why it died off for a couple of years? Because the heads themselves were no longer being made. The threads basically stopped for a while. So generally if they were brought up at all it was in a snide or derogatory way disguised as a "joke" during that time.

And there was only lip service from a moderator in stopping it.

Closed Thread