Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 10-12-2016, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandX View Post
wellllll

nhra is going to be tough to be competitive with pontiac. 37lbs of boost max. m1 fuel only. 2650 weight. 88mm turbos. 2.4 valve max. 3 speed

i have been 6.3 at 226 mph within the rules a few times.

i believe one of two more sessions and i would be able to run 6.1-6.2

sooooooo lets discuss. i'm
guessing the hemi head would run the best, but lose some
of the cool factor
Define your main goal, do you want to go after records, win championships or just be the fastest running a Pontiac?

If you take a close look at cast Pontiac heads, one of the main concerns to me would be the ability to repair and weld on the heads. Casting quality along with product availability would be at the top of my list.

I'm sure you know the limitations of the heads you are running and any change would need to be significant. You are already at a disadvantage with the Pontiac bore space. Any wedge design will require a huge reduction in exhaust valve size to put a 2.300+ intake valve in it. A canted head or a semi hemi would allow for increased valve size on the small bore. I like the V valve layout, casting quality of the DCI head is top notch as is the CV-1, I would toss the Warp head into the mix.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Old 10-12-2016, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

4.25 is about the biggest practical bore for the aluminum block with sleeves. You have to leave aluminum wall between bores and you need a minimum wall for the sleeve.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 10-13-2016, 12:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
Don: apologies if you've already covered this in another thread. Can you supply your heads cast solid?

Eric
I have not applied this to drag racing cylinder heads, but we did "Hard Block" fill iron heads for boosted tractor engines to improve stability when I was working with Joe Mondello.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Old 10-13-2016, 02:05 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65nss4spdGTO View Post
... Take a close at NHRA Alcohol Funny Car...
There is a reason they run Hemis...
Alcohol vs. gasoline is part of the reason for running a hemi. Just sayin'.
I'd say the more important hemi advantage is valve sizes (for a given bore size).

Old 10-13-2016, 03:02 AM
Suspended

If you have the flow area and an unshrouded intake valve of the same size, I don't see the issue. With a billet canted valve head two plugs should package as well. But hey, there are billet hemi heads available as well.

What are you thinking Calvin?

Quote:
I 100% disagree.

Take a close at NHRA Alcohol Funny Car. One of the highest levels of Sportsman Racing, a select few are most always at the top. Cubic dollars spent trying to gain a HP advantage.

http://www.draglist.com/draglist/cat...EAR%2CMPH+DESC

There is a reason they run Hemis.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Old 10-13-2016, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My thoughts about this subject and I may be completely off base here. Are that Justin has already chose a direction and he is just trying to confirm his choice and possibly fishing for a financial contributor. My opinion is that he should stay with what made him successful so far, and that is his grass roots style of racing with an under dog. If he chooses to go with the main stream which would be smart to be competitive in NHRA Promod racing. He will be successful, but blend in with the rest of the crowd. My hat is off to him and his success so far. He has brought the traditional Pontiac platform back into the spot light and for that I commend him. Just my 2 cents!!!!!

330-628-3354 cell
Designer if the DCI Tiger Heads and the NEW DCI Ram Air 5 Heads !!!!!
Old 10-13-2016, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's interesting Don and you could be right. One additional thing Justin has going for him right now is that he has the Big personality and is THE STAR of the street outlaw TV show. I want him to stay Pontiac, absolutely. But if the finances align and he has a chance to drive for an established team or puts together a serious sponsorship deal on his own, I don't think he will blend into the crowd, no matter what's under the hood. He will be covered heavily by the media until the TV show ends, or he goes many events without qualifying or going some rounds. It's all about that 15 minutes of fame stuff. He can damn well drive, so I believe he will have some staying power. And he has a youth movement behind him, which is really important to the Pontiac hobby and drag racing in general. As always, wishing him the best.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Quinton View Post
If you have the flow area and an unshrouded intake valve of the same size, I don't see the issue. With a billet canted valve head two plugs should package as well. But hey, there are billet hemi heads available as well.

What are you thinking Calvin?
Based on a 4.250" bore, what valve size would you use in a wedge design?

The hemi is such a straight port and allows for a bigger valve.

If he goes billet, why would he stay with a Pontiac bore space?

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Old 10-13-2016, 06:24 PM
Suspended

I wasn't thinking a 4.25 bore or a wedge. Maybe a 4.25 bore is right in aluminum at those boost levels. I was thinking 4.35 bore in iron and canted valves. A 2.4 intake is allowed which is the target. This might limit the exh valve size compared to a hemi design. No argument on the straight shot intake with a hemi. However in a billet canted head you can move the ports as high as you want. I don't see the draw back.

If he goes billet head the only reason to stay with a Pontiac bore spacing is to keep it a Pontiac. Like Justin said, what's cool about running up front with what else everyone else is running?

Pontiac Power TTF!

Quote:

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Old 10-13-2016, 08:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dci View Post
Justin has already chose a direction and he is just trying to confirm his choice and possibly fishing for a financial contributor.
as a financial contributor...
i vote for LiLjack- hes got almost as much dough as hillary, and doesnt mind spending it.

justin,
after reading your posts,, my humble opinion is this-
if you want to build a motor that can be competitive in pro mod racing.. but have 'no opinion' as to which direction you should go...
it seems logical that you should seek advice from someone that has everyday experience building promod motors and working with promod racers
jmo

Old 10-13-2016, 10:00 PM
Boost Engineer

Marty Palbykin is somewhat close to Justin (Tucson Arizona vs Oklahoma), has run Brad Anderson Pro Mod engines for years, Owns two of the latest BAE engines, and is still a Pontiac tuner/engine builder guy (wife's car) as well as a BAE engine builder guy, his car.

Who else has those credentials?

Tom V.

Just a little plug for Marty, nothing more.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i haven't chosen a direction, and i dang sure haven't agreed to run any certain combo as of right now. I've had some killer offers to drive and even some great sponsorship opportunities, but i know temporary when i see it. I honestly feel like i can make a future for myself in professional drag racing, but the absolute only way to do that and keep the fan base transition easy enough for them to stick around, i have to stay pontiac. Pontiac car and pontiac engine. The car loosely resembles a firebird, so i have no major problem with the engine loosely resembling a pontiac lol. Now my new steel car will be as pontiac as a racecar can be bumper to bumper. I have some large companies on board for 2017, and i may lose those opportunities if i stay pontiac power and scare them into believing i can't win.

my latest question would be

what is power and rpm difference between a canted valve head and a hemi head both sporting as close as you can get to nhra mandated valve size of 2.400

Don Dial Race Cars
Old 10-13-2016, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

also dci i REEEEALLLY like to run ice water thru the heads and everything you have said so far has been on point!!!

Don Dial Race Cars
Old 10-13-2016, 11:37 PM
Suspended

Quote:
I honestly feel like i can make a future for myself in professional drag racing, but the absolute only way to do that and keep the fan base transition easy enough for them to stick around, i have to stay pontiac. Pontiac car and pontiac engine.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote:
what is power and rpm difference between a canted valve head and a hemi head both sporting as close as you can get to nhra mandated valve size of 2.400
The difference is who is providing the best deal for you and is the valve train reliable. They will run the same. I don't think there is a significant difference. However, all being equal I'd run the billet KRE hemi if a proven valve train is available.

I have some hardware that will get you 2/3 of the way there that you're welcome to run. I'd look for WARP 6's or KRE HEMI's if it was me.

If I can help yell.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:52 PM
Suspended

It's no coincidence Pontiac & Power both start with PO. What it equals is 1 Pissed Off engine.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420
... 55% is pushing it really, but trying to consider a true Hemi layout on top of a Pontiac cam & lifter location, is well, quite scary considering what the lay over angle of the exhaust pushrod looks like at a target of 9500rpm ...

Old 10-14-2016, 01:01 AM
Suspended

Quote:
also dci i REEEEALLLY like to run ice water thru the heads and everything you have said so far has been on point!!!

Now that's what I'm talking about!

GTO George

Old 10-14-2016, 01:03 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Marty Palbykin is somewhat close to Justin (Tucson Arizona vs Oklahoma), has run Brad Anderson Pro Mod engines for years, Owns two of the latest BAE engines, and is still a Pontiac tuner/engine builder guy (wife's car) as well as a BAE engine builder guy, his car.

Who else has those credentials?

Tom V.

Just a little plug for Marty, nothing more.

How well did Marty do in Pro Mod.......just saying.

GTO George

Old 10-14-2016, 03:31 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson Port Development View Post
... trying to consider a true Hemi layout on top of a Pontiac cam & lifter location, is well, quite scary considering what the lay over angle of the exhaust pushrod looks like at a target of 9500rpm...
Anybody who doesn't believe that has never built a Pontiac hemi.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:56 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Quinton View Post
... is the valve train reliable.
... all being equal I'd run the billet KRE hemi if a proven valve train is available.
I'm not up-to-date on KRE's testing of their hemi heads. When I looked at them and talked with Mark, I was concerned about the large angle traversed by the very short intake rockers at lifts appropriate for Pro-Mod-type engines. Mark was confident of the design, but it still seems to me that such a large amount of travel across the valve tip (at lifts around 1") might have reliability issues. Just my two cents...