Old 12-14-2016, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question 4 speed/3 speed manual interchange

For a 1963 4cyl car, do these transmissions directly interchange without any other changes (driveshaft? torque tube? etc) being needed?

Thanks!

Old 12-17-2016, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In addition to the interchange question, when looking at the driveshafts, the shop manual is quite emphatic about how you "handle" them. I have read that even handling them "bare handed" affects the integrity of their surface which was specially coated (pearlitic?) and shot peened.

Other than obvious damages (gouges, scratches, dings, dents, bends, etc) what other signs should be looked for (stuff like limited areas of rust, discoloration, etc)??

Has anyone really experienced short term driveshaft failures which they attributed to "damages" to the surface of the driveshaft that were perhaps imperceptible to some degree?

Thanks!

Old 12-17-2016, 05:27 PM

I have no idea in regards to your question, but I'm having a hard time imagining such a sensitive driveshaft!

Old 12-17-2016, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If the surfaced is scratched thru protective cover it "can" cause it to fail there.Shafts do break,never had one brake but have been told by some over the years that they can.It is just a VERY long torsion bar.Tom

Old 12-18-2016, 05:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On '62 cars, they do not interchange. Everything different.
I remember they standardized more things in '63 so you may be in luck.

I would say 99% of ropeshafts are coated with a little surface rust by now, and most of these have probably been hand lifted up to bolt to the crank.

Are you really going to take a ropeshaft out of the tube to inspect it? I would just run it till it fails and keep a spare.

I have not heard of anyone breaking a '63 V8 ropeshaft, although I have a broken flange I bought from East West.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My questions are based on a car that was originally a 4-spd that was damaged, replaced by a 3-spd and later started ( incompletely) in the 1970's to be replaced by a 4-spd. The car has 3 or 4 sets of tubes and shafts as "extra" parts but the owner doesn't know what/which (if any) will fit the car with the replacement 4-spd (The car has been off the road since the 1970's) The guy has to choose between whichever pieces will fit (if any) and the ones that are in the apparently best condition.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What does the 63 shop manual say?

Old 12-20-2016, 11:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
My questions are based on a car that was originally a 4-spd that was damaged, replaced by a 3-spd and later started ( incompletely) in the 1970's to be replaced by a 4-spd. The car has 3 or 4 sets of tubes and shafts as "extra" parts but the owner doesn't know what/which (if any) will fit the car with the replacement 4-spd (The car has been off the road since the 1970's) The guy has to choose between whichever pieces will fit (if any) and the ones that are in the apparently best condition.
A shop manual should answer your questions. The Little Indians website has a listing of all the dimensions by year for Ropeshafts and Torque tubes in the Tech section. Have to be a member to access it. These were taken directly from the shop manual from each year one of the original LIC officers took the time to compile for easy reference.

I have sold two ropeshafts to a 62 4 cylinder owner and a 63 V8 owner who both had broken ropeshafts. I still have several extras, none have surface rust as Elefantrider claims should have.

Pulling a ropeshaft out of the tube while its out of the car is a good idea and not hard to do.

I usually wear gloves when I handle the ropeshafts but not all the time. Never had one break.

According to the shop manual for 63 4 cylinder ropeshafts, the 3 speed is 81.945 inches long, the 4 speed ropeshaft is shorter at 80.325. the tubes are the same length and thickness for both at 73.54. 3 speed ropeshafts are interchangeable with L4 and V8 for 63.

I believe Tempest Fugit took the time to list all the part numbers and interchangeability between 3 and 4 speeds on this forum a few years ago.

Hope this helps.
Gary

Old 12-21-2016, 07:55 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by elefantrider View Post
I have not heard of anyone breaking a '63 V8 ropeshaft, although I have a broken flange I bought from East West.
Broke one on the freeway doing 70mph. Only noise was the engine rpm now higher, thought the trans was low on fluid. Purchased my other 63 with broken shaft - yes they do break... get a spare.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I found these old posts. Good data. Thanks!

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...8&d=1371009906

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...4&d=1375714222