Old 01-01-2017, 03:43 PM
Senior Chief

Default 1964 Frame Question

Are the frames made differently in different factories? My brother's '64 GTO made in KC, has a smooth frame in from of the rear wheels and a friend is considering to buy a Fremont car where the frame looks like its been welded at the same location. Any input in this seeming disparity is appreciated.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:12 PM
Boost Engineer

There were different Frame Suppliers, at the same time, for sure. Names like AO Smith and others come to mind but not a frame expert like John V and others are.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:41 PM

Default 64-67 GM frames

I also would be interested to know about the GM 64-67 frames,,,

I bought a 64 or 65 chevelle frame that I want to use under a 64 lemans body,.. I cannot find the GM numbers on the frame,.. I took measurements on this chevelle frame and looks to be square and seems to be the same as my old frame,,, I do know for sure it is a 64-67 GM frame,.. Is there anything else I should be looking at...!!
I will have to weld on a Z bar tab for the 4 speed.. and fix a couple mounting holes..

My original 64 lemans car frame was wrecked on the drivers front years ago from a previous owner, and was put on a frame rack in its early years and the motor will not fit on the frame pads and is a 1/2' off either side,, plus the drivers side rear upper trailing arm mount was welded back up with small plates by what looks like somebodys first time welding....
The rear axle is 1/4 ' off towards the passenger side,.. tire is closer on the drivers side frame...

So are these frames interchangable between the GM bodys...

thanks,..

Old 01-02-2017, 01:38 PM
Boost Engineer

Jspeed, I believe that the 64-65 Chevelle frame was unique to those cars.

The 1966 Chevelle frame is identical in most ways to the 64-66 Pontiac Le Mans/GTO frames.
(I have a 66 frame under my 64 convertible as it was almost rust free (from Georgia) and I did not care about
matching numbers (just a strong frame). A few years driving in Michigan winters did not help things on the old frame.

The 67 frame would have the mounts for the rear transmission crossmember located rearward to use with the Turbo 400 trans on a convertible or hardtop (or the same position on a manual trans set-up). A convertible 67 car would have weld on mounts and the frame mounts are different with the tab welding position.

If the frame is identical to yours it is probably a 66 frame.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:25 PM
Senior Chief

Wow, talk about hijacking this thread.

Old 01-02-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19652plus2 View Post
2plus2,.. Since I asked about a 64 frame also,. Figured I could stir up enough conversation to get our question's answered,.

Obviuosly not oppreciated,..!! Sorry you feel hijacked...

PS,.. Today;s society is so defensive...

Old 01-02-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Jspeed, I believe that the 64-65 Chevelle frame was unique to those cars.

The 1966 Chevelle frame is identical in most ways to the 64-66 Pontiac Le Mans/GTO frames.
(I have a 66 frame under my 64 convertible as it was almost rust free (from Georgia) and I did not care about
matching numbers (just a strong frame). A few years driving in Michigan winters did not help things on the old frame.

The 67 frame would have the mounts for the rear transmission crossmember located rearward to use with the Turbo 400 trans on a convertible or hardtop (or the same position on a manual trans set-up). A convertible 67 car would have weld on mounts and the frame mounts are different with the tab welding position.

If the frame is identical to yours it is probably a 66 frame.

Tom V.
Tom, thanks for the info, I would still like to find some kind of date on this frame just for peace of mind...
I thought there was suppose to be numbers behind the drivers rear wheel hump on side of the frame but nothing was found...

thanks again...

Old 01-02-2017, 05:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Should have partial VIN by drivers door area,on top of frame, maybe in the rear also. They usually require sanding to bare metal to see stamp

Old 01-02-2017, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Larry @ Butler Classics worked at AO Smith as a young man and knows a great deal about GM frames.
Seems like Budd, out East was the other supplier of significance. There are small differences that make ID possible.
Happy hunting!

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 01-02-2017, 07:06 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19652plus2 View Post
I think I answered your question with the best info I knew of. I also provided two other member names who might add to your question.

I also answered the other posters question related to 64-67 frames I think.

So why do you have all of this heartburn?

Most threads are like "flowers", you plant one and then you get a variety of other "flowers"
(questions) based off of that one question. The 64-65 Forum and the 66-67 forum are exceptionally polite forums for the most part.

Tom V.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:31 PM
Senior Chief

To me, his inquiry had zero to do with mine and jspeed should have been "polite" and began a new thread.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:53 PM

2plus2,. as for your first question about 64 frames,. concerning the smooth frame on your brothers car compared to the fremont car your buddy is looking at,.

I don't think any company had any vertical welding done in those areas,..

Have your buddy look at both sides of the car at the same section of the frame to see if its welded also,. If so the frame has been fixed or sectioned at that point back to the rear bumper or one side has been fixed, in a small section or bigger,..

On Ebay there is a bunch of 64-67 sectioned frames for sale to fix these a-body frames...

That fremont car frame could have had a rusty spot fixed...

Old 01-02-2017, 07:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don't know about the A body frames but it was common for earlier cars to have differently built frames that came from different suppliers. The most common is the 55-57 Chevy car, there's the so called "Daytona" frame, some call it a Calif frame. It was smooth and a little lighter then the two piece welded frames. I imagine this may have occurred for many other years also.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:08 PM
Boost Engineer

For the 64 GTOs you really only got 2 frame designs. The hardtop/post car frame and the Convertible frame. The convertible frame was fully boxed in the door area of the vehicle.
You could actually get a convertible frame installed by the factory under the hardtop/post car body. No hardtop/post car frames installed under convertibles as the car frame needed the extra strength (without the roof support).

Don't know crap about 55-57 Chevy cars, and their so called "Daytona" frame or Calif frame. This is a GTO forum.

Tom V.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:18 AM
Senior Chief

Gentlemen, this is a pic of one of the frames I'm referring to in my original post. In this pic, the frame appears to be welded and the frame looks the same on both sides. Is this frame typical of a '64 made in Fremont? Like I previously stated, my brother's '64 made in KC has a smooth frame in this area.

What we're ultimately trying to ascertain is if the "welded" Fremont frame is a repaired frame or this is the way it came from the factory.

Thanks for your input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 11.07.04 PM.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	444015  

Old 01-03-2017, 12:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:

Don't know crap about 55-57 Chevy cars, and their so called "Daytona" frame or Calif frame. This is a GTO forum.

Tom V.

Stick around, you may learn a thing or two.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My '64 Tempest is a November '63 built car from Fremont. I'll look at it tonight and let you know.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I think I answered your question with the best info I knew of. I also provided two other member names who might add to your question.

I also answered the other posters question related to 64-67 frames I think.

So why do you have all of this heartburn?

Most threads are like "flowers", you plant one and then you get a variety of other "flowers"
(questions) based off of that one question. The 64-65 Forum and the 66-67 forum are exceptionally polite forums for the most part.

Tom V.
Agree Tom

you guys may want to take some time and read through these threads . its always good to re-talk old subjects . new info. is always being found .but revisiting threads is valuable also . play nice kids lol

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...archid=5808718

Last edited by dld; 01-03-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've seen on these forums that the '64-'65 Chevelle frame is shorter, and will not interchange with a Pontiac A body. (I verified the cars are shorter when a '65 Chevelle parked next to me at a cruise.)

Old 01-03-2017, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
the drivers side rear upper trailing arm mount was welded back up with small plates by what looks like somebodys first time welding....
Early (at least up through Jan 64) frames had a recall. Dealer had to weld in a couple of small gussets in the upper trailing arm area to add strength. And welding overhead in this tight area with the body on would probable look like a beginner. And I suspect very few frames actually had this recall done.