THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It is claimed now that the "coyote" you see is not really a coyote anymore. Over 90 percent are a "coy-dog", coyote dog mix. I live a few minutes from Boston and they are all over this area. I've had them walk right by me when I get out of the car late at night. One female came right up to my St. Bernard when we were out walking one night. They have never shown any aggression either when I have been alone or with the dog. Couldn't shoot them if I wanted to because the houses are only a few feet apart.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Coydogs can't survive in the cold climate areas. Being part domestic dog they will breed at all times of the year. In cold climates coyotes have to breed around December ... have their pups in the spring. If they don't the pups will either be born too early and not survive the rest of the winter, or they will be born too late and be too young to survive the following winter. They HAVE to be born in spring to both miss the winter, and be old enough to survive the next winter.

It's why most people don't realize that in places like upstate NY the coydogs that do survive are just a short lived hy-bred that usually only lasts a couple of years before the line dies out.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Saw another one this afternoon. This one was less than 25ft from our back deck. Looks I'm going to have to do something about them.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-10-2017, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Get a Donkey. I've heard from reliable sources that a they will stomp one to a bloody pulp.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

.223 to the head. Problem solved!

Old 02-10-2017, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If possible, observe activity before starting to cull them. Unless one is a problem obviously. The issue is that if you kill the Alpha of the pack, the pack will splinter and you will get multiple packs that will then grow, increasing the problem. Tack the hide on your shed to deter.

The animal in the big picture is much more on the wolf side. The coywolfs I have seen have more red & brown in them. You can tell they are not a domestic cross when you come in contact with them. They prey on foxes and then take over their dens here. Will also take calves. Introduced here by Govt. agencies.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 02-10-2017, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Link: Coyote info.

Excerpt: Biologists believe that more than 5,500 gray wolves remain in the lower 48 states. Currently, populations exist in Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan.

So - wolves are pretty close to an endangered species here in the U.S. I'll have to doubt the authenticity of any "coywolf" sightings outside of the above mentioned states.

I've found that coyotes don't all look the same. Some of 'em require a closer look: "It that a dog?"

Old 02-10-2017, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question for the coyote experts. We have packs that run the tree lines around our place. Usually at least once every night a pack will start yipping, howling and making a big commotion for a couple minutes and then go silent. What's happening? Celebrating a kill? Chasing off another pack? Something else?

Curious,
Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 02-10-2017, 11:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have lived in Florida all my life and until just a few years ago never heard or saw a coyote around here. Growing up we fished most of the freshwater lakes around Central Florida and I was into riding dirt bikes in the woods. A few years ago I was driving a rural road I have all my life and saw what I thought at first was a fox or dog. On closer look it was neither. I did some asking and was told Coyotes had migrated to our area and were widespread. A short while after I was riding with a friend in a large off road park and we came up on a pack of coyotes about 6 to 7. We stopped about 50 yards away and watched them and they did not seem to care much about our presence. We eventually continued on. Recently a coworker claims to have seen one on the beach side in a very populated area not near any woods. She grew up in a very rural area around here and is familiar with the wildlife. Surprisingly the only access to the beach side area is over a very busy bridge. Amazingly I have seen pictures of good sized bobcats catching small sharks in the surf around Sebastian Inlet. Pretty amazing how animals can adapt sometimes.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
Link: Coyote info.

Excerpt: Biologists believe that more than 5,500 gray wolves remain in the lower 48 states. Currently, populations exist in Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan.
Interesting that they don't mention Washington. There have been wolf packs in washington for about ten years now and they are expanding fairly rapidly. Just last year two wolves were sighted (at different times/places) on the West side of the Cascades for the firs time.

But I thought wolves competed with and killed Coyotes, not interbred with them...?

Old 02-11-2017, 02:33 AM
Senior Chief

Here in Oregon also.

71 Firebird
69 Firebird
Old 02-11-2017, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
Question for the coyote experts. We have packs that run the tree lines around our place. Usually at least once every night a pack will start yipping, howling and making a big commotion for a couple minutes and then go silent. What's happening? Celebrating a kill? Chasing off another pack? Something else?

Curious,
Eric
Celebrating a kill.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In Illinois, they would yip (very loudly) all over the place it seemed.
But they are a pack animal.
They would have some yip to make the prey run in a certain direction where others were waiting.
(silently)
Then they would attack them.

Hard to hold off 5 or more of them at once.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 02-12-2017, 05:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post

Curious,
Eric
What you are hearing is the standard welcome greeting to the alpha male. Coyotes do not celebrate a kill because it would draw other predators. Coyotes do not run in packs, they are a family unit. A "pack" is all the same family, single alpha male, female, youngsters and pups. The two or three minute series of yelps is the greeting to the alpha male regardless of kill or not. Last thing coyotes want to do is advertise a kill and invite other family units to contest the kill.

Typically you'll hear it more in the winter months, Dec-Feb as it's mating season and the males are wandering a bit.

If you own any dogs, and you notice that when you come downstairs after a nap and they do a short series of greeting barks/howls ... same thing. They are greeting you, the alpha male back into the group. If you have more than one dog it will usually be the beta male/older dog that will start the greeting and the younger dog(s) will join in.

Coyotes are extremely vocal predators .... probably the only thing they don't vocalize is a kill. Not a good evolutionary trait to advertise a kill and invite every other group of coyotes/wolves/pumas to come steal it.

They will also vocalize to alert the family unit to interlopers, other predators, large animals, and sometimes just to advertise their dominance over a certain area. And also just to announce they are a well knit family unit. Typically 90% of the yipping you will hear is the alpha male greeting. Extended howls are usually a lone animal calling to the family unit for one reason or another.

Last edited by dataway; 02-12-2017 at 06:04 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
What you are hearing is the standard welcome greeting to the alpha male. Coyotes do not celebrate a kill because it would draw other predators. Coyotes do not run in packs, they are a family unit. A "pack" is all the same family, single alpha male, female, youngsters and pups. The two or three minute series of yelps is the greeting to the alpha male regardless of kill or not. Last thing coyotes want to do is advertise a kill and invite other family units to contest the kill.

Typically you'll hear it more in the winter months, Dec-Feb as it's mating season and the males are wandering a bit.

If you own any dogs, and you notice that when you come downstairs after a nap and they do a short series of greeting barks/howls ... same thing. They are greeting you, the alpha male back into the group. If you have more than one dog it will usually be the beta male/older dog that will start the greeting and the younger dog(s) will join in.

Coyotes are extremely vocal predators .... probably the only thing they don't vocalize is a kill. Not a good evolutionary trait to advertise a kill and invite every other group of coyotes/wolves/pumas to come steal it.

They will also vocalize to alert the family unit to interlopers, other predators, large animals, and sometimes just to advertise their dominance over a certain area. And also just to announce they are a well knit family unit. Typically 90% of the yipping you will hear is the alpha male greeting. Extended howls are usually a lone animal calling to the family unit for one reason or another.
What foot hold trap is your go to trap...I prefer running snares in this deep snow....with a nice bait pile....the tracks in the snow tell you where to hang the snares....we have to nun a deer stop on our snares here in NH...how about you guys ?

Old 02-12-2017, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In Michigan upper peninsula they will usually do a little howling just at daylight Figured they were just letting their buddies know where sleeping for the day. Where I live in the lower lots of people don't know there around. Last week with a full moon just at dark they where going crazy yipping-howling-barking. I' ve heard wolves before but not as creepy as coyotes.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
What foot hold trap is your go to trap...I prefer running snares in this deep snow....with a nice bait pile....the tracks in the snow tell you where to hang the snares....we have to nun a deer stop on our snares here in NH...how about you guys ?
I've never done any trapping .... have a few friends that do. I've watched trapping turn a few of my friends into .. well, kind of mountain men Once you get used to the routine required by trapping ... it changes you. Lots of time in the woods.