Old 02-10-2017, 07:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1964 CALIF TRIPOWER SMOG

Calif tripowers had a tube manifold on the drivers side that tied the three air cleaner bases into the valve cover, the air cleaner bases also had a tube to connect to it. Any idea what the three tube manifold (pipe) and air cleaner bases might cost/ are worth? They seem rather hard to find.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:23 PM
Boost Engineer

A lot of them went in the trash when the cars were sold to 49 state buyers.

I personally have only seen pics for the completed deal. I have seen the bases once but no connector hardware to the valve covers.

Sad as that deal works really well but people liked the non smog look.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i had a complete set a few years ago..it sold for 450..it was everything..and i could have sold 10 more if i had them

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 02-10-2017, 08:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
i had a complete set a few years ago..it sold for 450..it was everything..and i could have sold 10 more if i had them
The carb bases have a curved tube/nipple, there is a larger tube with 3 nipples that connect to the bases, a curved hose that connect the large tube to the valve cover what other parts are needed?

Old 02-10-2017, 09:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
Did it look like the first pic or the second?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1965-pontiac-gto-389-tripower-engine.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	446945   Click image for larger version

Name:	00Y0Y_hIECKPLkpF2_600x450.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	446946  

Old 02-10-2017, 09:06 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW64OWNER View Post
The carb bases have a curved tube/nipple, there is a larger tube with 3 nipples that connect to the bases, a curved hose that connect the large tube to the valve cover what other parts are needed?
I believe you also need a different [sealed] oil filler cap on the other valve cover. I saw a set up sell for $300 a couple months ago. Not sure what that second pic is of. FWI, they reproduce most if not all of the parts to restore a CA tri power.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Believe these were for 1966 only, not 1964.

I have had a few sets, but all were 1966 (large center carb).

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty sure these were for '64 as well; possibly late '64.

1964 Pontiac GTO, Tri-Power, 4 Speed, Grenadier Red/Black Interior
1965 Chrysler 300 Convertible, 383/727TF, Factory Air, Spanish Red/Red Interior/White Top
Old 02-10-2017, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Look in the "Tri-Power Tech" as that's where you will see photos of the "Air Cleaners" that were used on the #614 California 3x2's.

1964 and 1965 were the same.
1966 was a one year only.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.

Last edited by 60sstuff; 02-10-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What year might this be from? Looks like it could be an older car??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00202_3HC5GQFQ7oh_600x450.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	446954  

Old 02-11-2017, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, I stand corrected. Consulted Pontiac Master Parts Book, and 1964 did in fact have what Pontiac calls "closed crankcase ventilation" air cleaners. Should have consulted parts book before posting. All of the ones I have had in the past were 1966 only.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
OK, I stand corrected. Consulted Pontiac Master Parts Book, and 1964 did in fact have what Pontiac calls "closed crankcase ventilation" air cleaners. Should have consulted parts book before posting. All of the ones I have had in the past were 1966 only.

Jon.
Could you look at my pic posted right before your reply and tell me if you have seen that one before? Maybe it's not Pontiac?

Old 02-11-2017, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The closed crankcase system was required by Cal law for all '64s sold by PMD to a Cal dealer with all builds starting from Jan 1, 1964.

Early builds (such as my Nov build sold to a Fresno dealer) did not require them, generally did not have it, though one poster here educated us to the fact that the K24 option could be ordered for a non-Cal build. I believe that would have been extremely rare.

It was always extra cost. The option Sales Code was 614. Most of the Tempests sold to Cal dealers were built at Fremont but they could install the option at any Plant.

The details of it can be found on pages 41 & 42 of the '64 Tempest Inspector's Guide for all engines including the Tripower.

The '64 set-up looks like the one in the 1st pic. I don't recognize the setup in the 2nd pic. If I was guessing, somebody may have rigged that up to make it look better or maybe it was a later year plumbing design. Or maybe it was an Olds design? They had a 3x2 set-up also.

IMO, no chance it was an earlier than Jan '64 design since the closed system was not required and would not have been factory prior to then.

Maybe it was an aftermarket set-up?

The Oil Cap was specific, non-vented. The std. oil cap was vented. The whole idea of the Cal law was to eliminate the fugitive emissions that the earlier type PCV system allowed to escape to atmosphere under certain engine operating conditions.

The closed system returned them to the carb for reburning. The first type PCV system pulled crankcase vapors directly into the intake but on low vac signal, crankcase vapors simply vented thru the oil cap.

In addition to the special Oil Cap, there was also a spark arrester added to the Air Cleaners, a steel mesh screen I believe.

The bases you already know about.

The LH Valve Cover on ALL tripower engines was revised to have the hole. In non-Cal cars, the valve cover had a plug for this hole.

When the K24 was installed, the plug was to be removed and returned to inventory.

The PCV itself was also specific to the K24 IIRC. This may not be clear from later MPCs, I think Jon (carbking) may have the '64 MPC and perhaps he can see what PCV is specified for the K24 vs. the PCV used with the non-K24 builds. All the p/ns for the K24 PCV, hoses, and vent pipe are shown in the Inspector's Guide but not easy to read on my copy.

Prior to Jan '64, the LH Valve Cover was blank, there was no provision for the plumbing to connect. At some point prior to Jan, I assume the Engine Assembly Plant would have started including the revised Valve Cover since no way to know if the build that the engine would be part of would be a post Dec build that required the K24.

Since the Inspector's Guide revision is dated Dec 19, '63 and the K24 details are already included, I'm guessing the revised Valve Covers were already being made part of the Engine Assemblies by that time. But unless a buyer special ordered it, the plumbing itself was omitted until after Dec production had concluded.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Did it look like the first pic or the second?
My '64 had it, and it looked like picture #1.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
What year might this be from? Looks like it could be an older car??
That looks like a home made one to me.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:20 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Taylor View Post
That looks like a home made one to me.
X2

I have worked on maybe 4 (at most) of the California Tri-Power set-ups for people and all of them had the parts that Jim said he had on his car (like Picture #1).

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.