Old 04-28-2017, 01:34 PM
Senior Chief

Default My GTO

Well guys and girls my project has started... So far I have the new race-tech pistons and H-beam rods in the block with a 4340 forged steel crank all together.
I was wondering if anyone may have a mega brace on the shelf they are not using.
I was going to buy one from butler but I thought I may give my cash to you guys if you had either the mega or deluxe mega brace sitting around.
I'm going to install new body bushings and steering system rebuild next I'll have pictures soon as the build progresses. Some parts I'm still on the hunt for is a pair of rear wheel well extensions and front suspension upgrades from stock.
Let me know what you guys may have spare. If you take paypal or just money orders as well.
Dennis let me know what you think of the engine turn dash decals I am going to make a few sets to trade or sale soon...
later
Terry

Old 04-28-2017, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Terry, I'm headed over tomorrow to test your engine-turn dash inserts with the original dash I replaced with a repro, so I will report back shortly. Do you need factory gauges? I think I have the original set from my car still.

Dennis

Old 04-28-2017, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Terry, I'm headed over tomorrow to test your engine-turn dash inserts with the original dash I replaced with a repro, so I will report back shortly. Do you need factory gauges? I think I have the original set from my car still.

Dennis

Old 04-29-2017, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Terry, I installed the engine turned inserts you sent me and after a little trimming with a metal straight edge and a semi-sharp exacto knife along with test fitting and checking (measure twice - cut once adage applies) many times before I pulled the backing paper off, it looks pretty good. If you could somehow die-cut the inserts, that would be ideal. But it only took me a couple hours taking my time to trim and stick them on. I basically trimmed around the outer perimeters and inner openings to make all them perfectly straight and you can't tell where they were a little smaller than the area they fit in. I used the better of the two sets you sent in the original dash.

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0429171836e.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	453470   Click image for larger version

Name:	0429171836d.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	453471   Click image for larger version

Name:	0429171836c.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	453472   Click image for larger version

Name:	0429171836b.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	453473   Click image for larger version

Name:	0429171836a.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	453474  

Old 05-03-2017, 10:03 AM
Senior Chief

Yes I could definitely use the factory gauges...As I have to tear out all of my interior for the sound and heat material install.. That was what I was thinking as well. A laser cut version would look real nice without much trimming to fit them almost like stock. I know the plastic versions of the decals are sold on several sites and that is why I needed someone to test that has a clue to what they would need.... Thanks so much Dennis this is exactly what I needed to finish the rest of the decal creations. I will make a stencil of my original backings and try to find someone that can laser cut them out for a more smoother cut. I did these with and exacto knife and scissors just for a test. I think I will make the a little bit bigger on the top side to let the person installing them customize the installs.... I know some of these dashes are are a little different.. It always helps to get a second opinion of someone who actually knows what they need to look like.
Again Thanks You Very Much Dennis!!!!
I appreciate you help
Terry

Old 05-03-2017, 10:09 AM
Senior Chief

Did your dash have the rubber backings from the original decals???? I used the rubber parts to make the original decals that might be where I came in short as well. I'll send you another set after I make the changes you suggest and I find someone who can laser cut the wholes and outer edges as well....
Thanks Dennis
Terry

Old 05-03-2017, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Terry, I have the original 'burled wood-grain' applique that was in the dash, but it was pretty rough and beat up from the years of abuse this poor car lead before its restoration. It's not good for using as a template and is more like a plastic piece than rubber. Also, bad news regarding the gauges...my brother Dan said they were all but destroyed sitting in a box of interior parts when I got the car. We had to install the complete interior and that was one of the original pieces that had to be replaced with NOS or repop. We couldn't find NOS, so went the repop route. The old unit was tossed. Sorry.

Dennis

Old 05-10-2017, 02:47 PM
Senior Chief

That's no problem Dennis.... I wasn't doing it for a trade anyway. I just needed an opinion from someone who has played with the Ventura's.
Thanks
Terry

Old 05-10-2017, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sad to say that most of the original interior parts for the car were toast. The entire interior is either NOS parts or repop stuff. I think the only original pieces remaining are the 4-speed shifter, seat frames, and pedals (not pads)!

Dennis