Old 05-20-2017, 09:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default POWER WINDOWS

I was just toying with the possibility of putting power window regulators on my 65 sedan. However, the sedan seems to have different regulators than the hardtop and convertible. Casual observation of mine seems the same as the hardtop. Does anybody have experience or knowledge of the regulator differences. I have never seen a GTO with power windows. How many of you have a car so equipped??

Old 05-21-2017, 09:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Going through this myself I have a 64 post sedan. Everybody I contacted that makes power window regulators for the hardtop says they won't work in the sedan but nobody can tell me why? I did some research and wound up making my own power regulators out of my post regulators. Total cost $26.00 for the front

If you can weld and have fabrication skills it's not that hard once you know what parts to source. Iv'e completed the front and assembled them into the doors and they couldn't work better. Very pleased.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Did you happen to take a pic or two. I can do it. Any details re parts. thks

Old 05-23-2017, 08:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I took them out of the doors because the cars not painted yet so I'll be able to share some pics. I'll get some on tomorrow.

The 93-02 Camaro-Trans Am 9- tooth motors mate with the gear on the manual regulator. You must buy them with the mounting brackets you'll need them too.

I sourced them from an Ebay vendor $26.00 a set shipped. I'll look for the link and post it. More info to follow. Scott

Old 05-23-2017, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Subscribed

Old 05-25-2017, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiacguy View Post
I took them out of the doors because the cars not painted yet so I'll be able to share some pics. I'll get some on tomorrow.

The 93-02 Camaro-Trans Am 9- tooth motors mate with the gear on the manual regulator. You must buy them with the mounting brackets you'll need them too.

I sourced them from an Ebay vendor $26.00 a set shipped. I'll look for the link and post it. More info to follow. Scott
Oh, nice discovery!
Do the rear regulators mate with the same motors?

Old 05-25-2017, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

used 4 door sedan on the fronts and you modify hardtop rears...ive parted prob 5 or 6, 4 door sedans with power window so i know it happened..64-67 and station wagon all abodys, theres lots of them out there...so..not hard to find...but no one saves 4 door stuff..anytime i had it i sold it to my buddy

the one guy on the planet that did all the work and converted them for people died 2 years ago and took 60 years of GM accy info with him..he never recorded anything for the future..a shame..

on the rears for a sedan it takes some fab work, you get hardtop regs or the 4 door regs and take your manual regs and lay them side by side, and youll see exactly what it takes

Bill told me the 2 door sedan has holes in the right places in the rear for the power regs you just swap some stuff...ive never done it, but we talked many many times about it and he acted like it was very easy once you see it all on the bench..

i know nothing else..ive never done it..its all i know..

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 05-27-2017, 11:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default ul

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiacguy View Post
Going through this myself I have a 64 post sedan. Everybody I contacted that makes power window regulators for the hardtop says they won't work in the sedan but nobody can tell me why? I did some research and wound up making my own power regulators out of my post regulators. Total cost $26.00 for the front

If you can weld and have fabrication skills it's not that hard once you know what parts to source. Iv'e completed the front and assembled them into the doors and they couldn't work better. Very pleased.
Wow,great to see this as I have a 64post that I need a LH rear pwr regulator and have been lost to find a unit. The original had been replaced with a manuel regulator. If I can learn to modify it to work as a pwr unit that would be great as I'm having a difficult time finding a replacement power unit! Anxious to see any pics you share and i'll take note of parts you mentioned.

3sp&3:08/10 boltPosi-Pwr Windows-Pwr Antenna
Silvermist w/BlackVinyl Top

http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/dracowizard/65/
Old 05-28-2017, 10:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Angry

Sorry for the delay wound up in the hospital. Will try and get some pics today Scott

Old 05-28-2017, 04:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here's some pics of the parts and pieces. The metal piece circled in blue I maid to weld to the front of the regulator. The three holes circled on the motor mounting bracket are raised up they must be ground flat. I wanted my setup to be bolted together to make service of parts easier in the door so I used rivnuts in the bracket to mount the motor instead of nuts,bolts optional.

Before starting drill and pin reg than drill out rivets from the pinion cup and remove both. Than you must remove the entire pinion cup from the regulator so the new motor pinion can protrude through this hole. An air saw works here. I had to in large it just a little so the motor bracket sits flush on the regulator.

I didn't want to weld the bracket to the regulator so I could service it if needed so I used thread couplers cut at .400 long to weld to the square flanges of the regulator. I found #10-24 cap screws work well the motor holes just need to be drilled a bit larger. After putting the motor and mount together and installing the thread coupler on the bolts you can position the unit onto the reg being sure you have a nice tight fit between the motor pinion an ring gear.

Check this very carefully once it's welded there's no adjustment. When it's right weld the couplers to the reg flats. You may have to rotate the assembly to be sure the ring gear isn't hitting the motor bracket on either side before welding. Now it's time to position the front mounting bracket that you made. and weld it in place.

You'll have to be the eyes on everything sitting level and in gear mesh before any welding. I just clamped it together and made sure I was happy before proceeding. I took pics of the couplers and there position but they are blurry I'll try again tomorrow. Any questions I'll do my best Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00368_LI (2).jpg
Views:	98
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	455729   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00369 (2).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	455730   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00370 (2).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	455731   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00373 (2).jpg
Views:	86
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	455732  

Old 10-23-2018, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Scott,
Did you ever get a chance to take clearly focused pics of the work you did?
These kinds of references are priceless!
Thanks,

Old 12-24-2018, 01:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ve been doing some research on this- Dorman 742-150 comes with the bracket, but has the wrong pinion gear on it. Dorman 742-101 has the right pinion gear, but no bracket... anybody find a source for these adapter brackets?
Scott- any chance you have updated pics to add?
Thanks!