Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-09-2017, 01:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default puddle in intake

Tripower, end carbs blocked. After shutting engine off if I look in the intake there is always a puddle of gas forming under the front carb. Obviously it is from the center carb, but why?

This is a new carb from JET. It is not flooding and no visible signs of anything wrong until I look into the intake.
Idle is 950
fuel press 4 psi
float 19/32
mixture screws 2 1/2 turns
no choke
No nozzle drip while running but it always seems like it needs to 'clear its throat' at idle.
Gas puddle forms whether engine is cold or up to temp.

Since this is a 'circle track' carb is it possible that it is 'supposed' to dunp a lot of fuel at idle?
I'm not sure if I should drive it like this or not. Odd thing is, even with so much gas in it the A/F gauge still reads lean, 15.? to 17.? at idle.

So what do I need to recheck?

Old 07-09-2017, 06:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That center Carb had a issue and at first I was going to say that it was just today's Alky cut fuel boiling over when hot, but you say you have to clear it out to get good responce when at idle.

In short that Carb has a internal issue that you need to get fixed fast as all of that excess fuel is likely washing the needed lube oil off off the cylinder walls and waring the motor out fast, no less it could be diluting the oil also!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 07-09-2017, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't they have well plugs that are capable of leaking? Been awhile since I had one apart. Maybe have a look at that.