Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-12-2017, 09:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Question Module in dist. cap???

How do you know or check if the module in a distr. is bad or going bad the reason I ask is I pulled the spark plugs the other day to check them and reset the gap after I put them back tried to start car and it was very hard to start and after I got it running could not idle and had to keep hitting gas to keep it running and it did die, I pulled the plugs and opened up the gap a little more (32) and the plugs were black just from that short time running (maybe a minute or so) so I put in a new set of plugs gap (44) and the same thing hard to get running and It would die after a minute or so ( I did not pull the plugs to see what color they are just getting to late) but I know the module will do this when it is hot, it is a pertronics dist (D1200) and I had already replaced one of there modules a few years back with a reg. 4 pin GM which worked well and got a new pertronics module and put that in appox. a year and a half and I;m thinking that it may have gone bad is there a way to check it with a meter before I go and by another GM module-----THANKS---BOB

Old 07-12-2017, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

sorry i dont know how right off hand but the procedure is explained in most repair manuals, if you have one or can buy one.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:46 AM
Boost Engineer

Lots and Lots of threads on the board about pertronics dist issues.
Apparently you are well versed on the failures. The GM Module worked.
What made you decide to return to the parts design that had already failed on you once before?

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The reason I went back to there module is they state that it was good up to 7500 RPM I;m not sure if that is controled by the module or not I know pontiac don;t run that high but that is the reason I went back-----BOB

Old 07-12-2017, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Per the symptoms in post one.
Float stuck or sunk. Trash in the needle and seat. Float hook incorrectly installed. Possibly old degrades piece of fuel line coming apart internally.
Where is the fuel filter located and what is its condition?

For a test, disconnect or pinch off the fuel line before the fuel pump. Restart and see if it clears out and runs smooth momentarily before it runs out of fuel.

--

Last edited by Blued and Painted; 07-12-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It sounds like a fuel issue but if it's any consolation my car had a Petronix in it when I got it and it had this neat little feature where it liked to cut off in traffic so I jerked it and replaced it with a summit ready to run

Old 07-12-2017, 10:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Went out this morning and car fired right up module being cool from sitting all night, I have a clear see thru filter ( about 25 miles on it) with a robmc fuel pump and I;m getting fuel, only ran it a few minutes because I did not want to get it too hot having to work on it, but when I knocked off the choke the car would idle like nothing was wrong I got a new module and new wires will put it in thursday morning will get back with results-----BOB

Old 07-13-2017, 12:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

See thru filter glass or translucent plastic? Glass ones will fail just a matter of time then you have a carb'q

Old 07-13-2017, 07:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It's a see thru plastic filter---BOB

Old 07-13-2017, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had to get away from those modules. They will partially fail and give you fits, then they will quit altogether. I added crank trigger this winter and all the gremlins I've been chasing went away

Old 07-13-2017, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Just a note

The last few modules I've bought came with a tube of dielectric grease...NOT heat sink compound.
NOT THE SAME AND DOESN'T WORK. Oh yeah it'll run..Just not for long.

And of course the parts store geeks were clueless.

Clay

Old 07-14-2017, 04:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Talking

Well I made up a set of plug wires and put in a new module and car fires right up and idles, I let it run until it was up to temp. turned it off let it sit for 5 or 10 min then went to start it again and everything is working,( A-OK.) no more problems so far. Would like to thank everybody for there input-----BOB