Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-16-2017, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to takid455
Default Warrior Racing cam info needed

Going through some of my old stash and found a Warrior Racing cam #744. While this can be assumed to be the RA 3 cam, but does anyone have specs on this particular cam?

Any info on who made their cams?

Stampings on end:
E909P (which is an Elign number )
9Z001

RA3 cam: ( 9785744 301 313 224 236 .410 .410 119)

Elign 909 specs
with specs of:
Part Number: E-909-P

Camshaft/Lifter Specifications:
Cam Lift Valve Lift Adv. Dur. Timing Event @ .050 Cam Lift Dur. Opens Closes Overlap Last Hot Lobe Line Cyl
INT: 0.271
EXH: 0.271 INT: 0.407
EXH: 0.407 INT: 298°
EXH: 310° 224° 0° BTC 44° ABC 236° 57° BBC -1° ATC 236° 57° BBC -1° ATC INT: HYD
EXH: INT: 112°
EXH: 115° 8

Thats a really low lift,

Build: http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...1978+g+machine
1999 30th Trans Am 6 spd, T top
Old 07-16-2017, 04:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default .407" is the 'standard' Pontiac valve lift number

All the normal 389s, 400s, and 455s had basically that lift. Slightly differing durations depending on the application, but .407" lift across the board

As far as the Ram Air versions camshafts, I think only the RAII (.470") and RAIV (.520") had more valve lift.

They used the same 9794041 camshaft in both RAII and RAIV, but the IV used 1.65 rockers to achieve the higher lift.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:08 PM
Pontiac performance Author

That looks like a Melling duplicate of the Pontiac 9785744 (Ram Air III) cam. Anyone could buy one back in the day and H-O Racing sold them as "Exact Duplicates of Pontiac Ram Air Series", H-O #HC-56.

H-O also sold a High Lift version with same advertised duration, but lift of 0.465 (I) & 0.469 (E) with 1.5:1 rockers made by Crane Cams under private label. It was H-O #HC-02 and was very popular, IIRC.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:09 PM
Boost Engineer

At the time that Craig, Kern, and Ken were running HO Racing, Crane Cams purchased several smaller camshaft companies and one large "Production Camshaft" company.
They bought "Wolverine Camshafts (Jackson Michigan) and Universal Camshafts in Muskegon Michigan.
They also bought a "production camshaft company" "CAMSHAFT MACHINE COMPANY in Jackson Michigan and made Don Hubbard (Camshaft Guru) the big boss. He was one of Harvey Crane's "Guys" as was Harold Brookshire.

Glenn Corwin (a Pontiac Engine type guy) was his Technical Expert. RA-II F-Bird Guy.
So Glenn used to tell me who CMC sold all of their camshaft to and where they came from. Mr Iskenderian had a cartoon one time in Hot Rod showing a dump truck "unloading (dumping) lots of camshaft behind another "camshaft company".
The point was Ed was saying that very few typical camshafts are actually made by "the company selling the camshafts".
Roller Camshafts (in the old days-YES). Production type grind hydraulic camshafts - NO.

I saw CMC grind a 744 camshaft on a production machine in under one minute and it was dead on specs when checked on the profile machine.

Would not surprise me, Craig, if Glenn Corwin did not "watch over" the orders for your HC-02 camshafts.

But back on the Warrior Deal, all Warrior did was rebox the camshaft that they bought from a wholesale warehouse in Detroit who bought it from Crane/CMC. Unless Ray or Dale dropped it it should be a good camshaft.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to takid455

Thanks for the info

Build: http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...1978+g+machine
1999 30th Trans Am 6 spd, T top
Old 07-18-2017, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
At the time that Craig, Kern, and Ken were running HO Racing, Crane Cams purchased several smaller camshaft companies and one large "Production Camshaft" company.
They bought "Wolverine Camshafts (Jackson Michigan) and Universal Camshafts in Muskegon Michigan.
They also bought a "production camshaft company" "CAMSHAFT MACHINE COMPANY in Jackson Michigan and made Don Hubbard (Camshaft Guru) the big boss. He was one of Harvey Crane's "Guys" as was Harold Brookshire.

Glenn Corwin (a Pontiac Engine type guy) was his Technical Expert. RA-II F-Bird Guy.
So Glenn used to tell me who CMC sold all of their camshaft to and where they came from. Mr Iskenderian had a cartoon one time in Hot Rod showing a dump truck "unloading (dumping) lots of camshaft behind another "camshaft company".
The point was Ed was saying that very few typical camshafts are actually made by "the company selling the camshafts".
Roller Camshafts (in the old days-YES). Production type grind hydraulic camshafts - NO.

I saw CMC grind a 744 camshaft on a production machine in under one minute and it was dead on specs when checked on the profile machine.

Would not surprise me, Craig, if Glenn Corwin did not "watch over" the orders for your HC-02 camshafts.

But back on the Warrior Deal, all Warrior did was rebox the camshaft that they bought from a wholesale warehouse in Detroit who bought it from Crane/CMC. Unless Ray or Dale dropped it it should be a good camshaft.

Tom V.
I 've heard stories about Warrior for years, but never dealt with them. Were they that bad, Tom?

Dr. Thomas Sowell