Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-26-2017, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Late model fan/s to retrofit into 68 Firebird?

A friend has 68 Firebird that needs a new fan.

It has a nice aluminum radiator, but came with a wimpy electric fan.

Want to keep the radiator and install a better electric fan/s.

I have been running a Mark VIII fan on my car(68 LeMans) for over a decade and it works great, but it appears they are not available new from Rockauto anymore.

I also like the idea of a dual fan as it provides some redundancy if one of the fans fails and would probably allow use of smaller relays to run.

I installed a Ford Focus dual fan on a 2000 S10 a few years ago. It seemed to work well, but I do not recall the dimensions.

Have also read that some Taurus and Windstar Fans work well, but not sure of fit on 68 FB.

Anyone running a late model fan on First Gen FB?

Recommendations on what would fit/work best?

Would prefer to buy new vs salvage yard and would also like for it to look good when install is completed.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a spare MK8 fan in anticipation of not being able to get them.

Are the motors available as a replacement?

The rage around the same time as the MK8 were the Northstar van fans. One large one small in a single package.

Then the F-body LS1 fans became popular....maybe this is an option being that it is newer.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it was me....I would get a correct shroud and clutch fan. With a new radiator, it will cool fine.

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did a 90's Taurus 2 speed fan on my 67 FB. It pulled some good air, drew some pretty serious amps on startup, and inhibited air flow at cruising speed such that I would see a slow steady temp climb. It just couldn't hack it at cruise speed on the highway. It would idle all day long, though, with ac running in 100+ temps with that fan.

I went with a 4 core Champion radiator, clutch fan, and shroud. Problem solved.

I have that 90's Taurus fan sitting in the backyard if you want it.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default X2

I am with squid ward. Can't beat factory severe duty fanclutvh
And a good radiator.

1968 Firebird 400, 068 cam, TH400 & 13" Continental Converter, Auburn posi with 3:08 factory gears, Cliff's Q-jet resting on a 68 factory iron intake, DUI HEI and Ram Air pans and RARE Long Branch Manifolds
Old 09-26-2017, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Prefer the look and improved access of electric fan and the electric fan on my car has worked great for me for more than a decade.

Squidward, did you have all the correct baffles/seals on your car?

The Taurus fan does not look like it would block a lot of airflow, but if the baffles were not in place that would probably make a huge difference when going down the highway..

Old 09-26-2017, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Koontz View Post
Prefer the look and improved access of electric fan and the electric fan on my car has worked great for me for more than a decade.

Squidward, did you have all the correct baffles/seals on your car?

The Taurus fan does not look like it would block a lot of airflow, but if the baffles were not in place that would probably make a huge difference when going down the highway..
I had the rad support baffles in place, but no side baffles, or no chin air dam seal. With my current setup it doesn't care if I have any of them in place. The Taurus fan was tight against the radiator core, and sealed as good as it would get without spraying liquid foam.

I get it. I too liked the clean modern look without having the pepperoni slicer spinning freely. I don't have a philosophical aversion to electrics, but knew I had to get to something that worked. All I can say, then, is avoid the Taurus fan. I can't speak to the Lincoln or LS fan setups. My brother's supercharged LS powered sandrail runs all day with a mostly horizontal mounted/electric fan radiator, so I know it can be done.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use 4th Gen LT1 fans and they work just fine for my environment. We'll have to see if the keep the new motor cool though.

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I run dual 11" SPAL fans, they have been excellent. Installed temperature sending unit to operate the fans. Summit had best pricing on them when purchased.

Tim john---

Old 09-27-2017, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On my car the Efan NEVER runs when I am going down the road.

I do have the proper baffles/seals in place and I think this can make a huge difference. but my car is a LeMans and FB may react differently.

The FB does not currently have proper baffles/seals, but they have been ordered.

Squidward, does your Taurus Fan (99 Taurus Fan image from R/A) look like the image below:

My Mark VIII fan looks like it would block a lot more air than this when it is not running.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	99 Tauras Fan.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	464261  

Old 09-27-2017, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have used a 14" and 12" Derale fan, and a Spawl fan
never had issues
cheap, effective, VERY low draw
with mega HP/High Compression may want a stronger fan, but the universal ones have worked great for me on a number of projects

Old 09-28-2017, 04:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Koontz View Post
On my car the Efan NEVER runs when I am going down the road.

I do have the proper baffles/seals in place and I think this can make a huge difference. but my car is a LeMans and FB may react differently.

The FB does not currently have proper baffles/seals, but they have been ordered.

Squidward, does your Taurus Fan (99 Taurus Fan image from R/A) look like the image below:

My Mark VIII fan looks like it would block a lot more air than this when it is not running.
Not quite. It looks like this:

So in comparing the two, you can probably see why my Taurus fan probably blocked air at speed.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've done a few swaps with the LS fan setup. Always seemed to work okay as long as it had a good radiator in front of it, was cheap to do and effective. As much as I do like how it cleans up the engine compartment, I still really prefer a good ole clutch fan and shroud setup on my own vehicles just for the reliability and simplicity of it. The stock clutch fan setup is doing an excellent job cooling my fathers 571 with a stock sized 25 year old 4 core copper radiator.

I believe he may eventually go aluminum with electric fans in the future, either Griffin with a dual fan setup, or a Ron Davis custom setup.with a main goal of just cleaning up the engine compartment and freeing up a few extra HP. Remains to be seen if it will cool any better.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Squidward, I showed photo of a 99 and I think yours looks like an 90-95 Taurus model. Much different in how much air they would block when not running.

Formulajones, are you referring to 4th Gen LS Fans? If so, do you know the dimensions of the fan assembly?

Old 09-28-2017, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes the 4th gen fans. I used to have a couple spare setups but I think I've used them all. I'll do some digging and see if it's in my notes.