Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-28-2014, 06:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default HEI

Guys
I am about to go HEI on the old girl she needs some love
Ok I see Skip W has a HEI from his web page the following .
PONTIAC TRANS AM HEI V-8 DISTRIBUTOR

WE KNOW THIS TO BE A DIRECT REPLACEMENT FOR PONTIAC TRANS AM V-8 ENGINES WITH HEI IGNITION. THIS IS THE NEWEST VERSION ON THE MARKET. THIS UNIT HAS A PERFECTED MODULE SYSTEM VIRTUALLY ELIMINATING FAILURES!!

BRAND NEW IN THE BOX. FIRST LINE ITEM.

Notice the precision machine work the distributor body has. Many others are not like this. We have been very selective on our choice, as there are many HEI's on the market.

Ok what do we think of these HEI's ? its for a street / strip car mild cam in a 68 GTO ?
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...1&d=1390903245

Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dissy.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	351076  

Old 01-28-2014, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Decent unit.

Cap harness is not very good quality but then neither are any of the aftermarket dist I've seen.

Curve may or may not be setup suitable for what you're running it in but I'd bet it's fairly close.

I don't care for the vac advance units on any of the aftermarket dists.

They will fire higher reliably than you'll be taking it with relative ease.

Not a bad unit at all. Certainly better than taking a chance on some of the originals I've been sent off ebay in last 6 months.

Go for it.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought one of the Skip White HEI dist about two years ago. Sent it to SunTuned to check and make sure the right advance curve at the right RPM was there and check the little grease compartment and be sure it had grease. Dropped it in my 68 GTO , it fired right up, set the time per SunTuned and have not touched it since.

1968 GTO Numbers matching 400 H.O. 4-speed 3:55
1964 T-Bird 46,000 Actual Mile
1928 Model A
2009 Lexus
1981 Dodge D-100
1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible
19631/2 Ford Galaxie Fastback
Old 01-28-2014, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The pictured unit has CW rotation.....

George

Old 01-28-2014, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

True George,

I dont know why they always, and any of the sellers for that matter, always show a chevy dist when they advertise for a pontiac or oldsmobile.

Happens every time.

I don't wanna say they need a lil rubbin to be "right" but they do, and I will....

but then I might be a tad biased.

To be fair all dists need to be matched to the application they are intended for.... just like a carb and just as important.

No more no less.

And thats that.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:43 PM

I hate to bring back a thread from the dead but this is the exact question I was going to post as a new post.

Does anyone have recent experience with the Skip White HEI distributors? Do they need a re-curve or do they tend to work OK out of the box?

Old 02-02-2018, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No recent experience, but I bought one back then per SunTune's response. It looks like a well-made unit; I did tweak the centrifugal advance limit slightly before i installed it. been working since then, no issues.

George

Old 02-03-2018, 02:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Think I've now checked a total of 14 Skip White units that our club members have installed. Right out of the box they are very good, and only one had trouble with the advance curve and it was an easy fix. It had a bad stamping and a little cleanup had things back to normal. It's been about eight months since checking the last one, but I would think they haven't changed. All had right at 22° max engine advance all in just a hair over 3,000 RPM with a nice smooth curve. Hopefully they have retained the adjustable vacuum advance module that could be changed with an Allen wrench. They had a little more adjustability that the aftermarket vacuum units available for the HEI.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:09 AM

I have bought several from him and they worked fine for me and had a wicked curve. Basically you are getting a new distributor housing that parts are available if needed.