Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-18-2018, 05:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Frustrated - Now Power Steering!

Hi everyone!

Trying to put together my 64 GTO and struggling! Now I have a new problem with my power steering. I just finished the initial start up of my car and fixed some fuel leaks, freeze plug leak, and was adjusting the idle. I didn't notice that while I was doing that the steering wheel turned all the way to the right. I continued to play with the engine for about 10 minutes not really noticing the steering.

I had the pump rebuilt by the guys from "PowerSteering.com" out of Missouri. It looked pretty nice. Any way the pump got so hot the solder holding top reservoir tank melted dumping the fluid on the ground - I've never seen that before. The pressure line was hot, but the return line was cool. I could only guess that for some reason the pump was directing flow into the brand new gear box in one direction causing the overheating.

Could this be the pump or possibly a blocked return line from the gear box? I've just never seen anything like this...

Old 02-18-2018, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you bleed it out before running it? You have to jack up the front and turn it stop to stop a dozen times to get all the bubbles out.

The fact the wheel turned on it own, I think I have heard that one before. May want to start searching the archives

Old 02-18-2018, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steering gear would be suspect.

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thought those tanks were brazed?? In any event, that was one hot effing pump! Let us know what you find.

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 02-19-2018, 12:45 PM

If the steering turns by itself, then the gearbox has a problem.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Steering gearbox is problem

Old 02-19-2018, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steering boxes use a spool valve, it's possible that a turn of the wheel may have corrected your problem, but something is /was stuck there
. But now that it has gotten as hot as it has the damage is likely more extensive. You don't want to hear this but replacement of all components is the prudent path. Pump, all hoses and/or coolers and steering box.
I don't know boxes as well as I know aftermarket rack and pinion systems, but a damaged/stuck torsion bar or a hose connected incorrectly will both kill a servo and cause the steering to auto turn hard to one side. (rack with separate servo). A box has similar components but all contained in one assembly, as does and integral rack.

I'd check the return line @ the box and pump for any type of plug that may be in there for transport(pump) or possibly storage (steering box)of the car. Sounds like it was pumping but with nowhere to go.
A consult with the company that did your pump sounds in order.

Last edited by STEELCITYFIREBIRD; 02-19-2018 at 03:52 PM.