THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cduster View Post
Only if you are using pp credit for funding. If you use your checking account there is no fee on the buyers end either.
I have a low limit cc registered with Pay Pal and for on line purchases. I am still a bit leery of having a cc out there on the web. No way am I going to allow Pay Pal to have access to my bank account. I suppose I could always set up a separate account for that. I still believe any site can be hacked. A couple of years ago my ISP's server got hacked. Had to change my email address and passwords. Lots of others were also compromised.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 02-23-2018, 02:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not saying that hacking doesn’t happen, but I’m a lot more concerned about dishonest waitstaff, skimming devices, etc. when you use you card on a daily basis than online.

I have a card tied to my account and a dedicated bank account tied to it. I move $ coming in to my bank account and make most purchases using my card.

I’m a member of a smaller forum for one of my other hobbies and have used f&f to pay for things when I have a good feel for the deal (and most of my transactions are fairly small - well under $100 most of the time.). Have yet to get burned on a payment so far, but will admit the risks are lower due to the smaller community and smaller amounts involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-23-2018, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My bank offered a free savings account and since we were not using it (who saves in a bank anymore?) I decided to tie that one to my pp account. It's only used to recieve money. There's never more than about $100 in it and usually quite a bit less.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:00 AM

When using PayPal, make sure you turn on "2 factor authentication". Every time you login to execute a transaction, they'll text a 6 digit code to your cell phone, which you have to type in.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
I have always been afraid/paranoid of paypal for hacking reasons. Whenever I buy I always send a usps mo. Never any problems and I insist that the seller wait until they have the cash in hand before they ship.
Same here. I don't use PayPal because I was notified by them that my account was supposedly hacked. So I had them get rid of the account. No problems since. When I buy or sell parts I use the 'ol Money Order way of exchanging money. I can wait the time it takes to get what I need. Works perfectly with no hassles.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:56 PM

Scammers are always out there telling you this account or that account was hacked and to reply immediately. I have used Paypal for ever and no problems but Ebay is moving away from PP and going with a new company Adyen for electronic payments. I think they said they are doing it to make international purchasing easier. Wow Andre 3k-20k in your Paypal account, what are you selling????? lol
I am happy when my paypal account gets to 500 bucks.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have used PP for a LONG time but I dont like their liberal political views.. Zelle is a great alternative and is a quicker transfer. I only use PP when I HAVE TO!

1968 Lemans. 37,000 original miles. GTO clone. 462ci/KRE 290 heads. UltraDyne 280/288 Solid/850 Qjet by Cliff/Performer RPM/TSP 9.5" in TH400/8.5" 3.42 gears/3950# Race weight/12.58@106 at Bandimere speedway high altitude
Old 02-23-2018, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966Lemans View Post
When using PayPal, make sure you turn on "2 factor authentication". Every time you login to execute a transaction, they'll text a 6 digit code to your cell phone, which you have to type in.
I just took care of that idea, Thanks

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 02-23-2018, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
My bank offered a free savings account and since we were not using it (who saves in a bank anymore?) I decided to tie that one to my pp account. It's only used to recieve money. There's never more than about $100 in it and usually quite a bit less.
Another great idea, I'll be work'in on that one soon.

Everybody knows somthin.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:13 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via MSN to the70OOJudge

Never had a problem with it ... Like everything we use to buy on the internet.. Use caution... Only time I was scammed was years ago and some scammer sent me an email stating thank you for purchasing a watch for $165.00 and I was so pissed I hit the link and signed in only to realize that I was not on Paypal at all so I got out of it and called them and got onto the real paypal site and changed my password.. It happened fast enough that he did not get money from the account.. It works but be carefull

Old 02-28-2018, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have no bank account linked.Just a paypal credit card.Tom

Old 02-28-2018, 01:10 PM

I use my PP debit for everything..I have the Business Acct and get cashback every time I use it. So I have it linked to the bills I use autopay, payments are instant, trackable and I get cash back on every use. I have had it just about since it's inception and have only had about 3 different times I needed to open a dispute...generally they were Ebay purchases and they were always found in my favor. Once I had my Apple acct hacked and they charged about $75 in game credits to my acct..it took about an hour and the money was returned to my acct and a password change by me fixed the issue.

I love PP and prefer to do all my transaction through them. Friends & Family should NEVER be used for purchases unless you absolutely know the person you are dealing with. You waive your right to dispute when you use it...although I have heard of people getting their money back by calling and bitching hard...
i used to collect Hockey cards, and the horror stories I have heard of F&F transactions have convinced me to ALWAYS use Goods and if need be include enough to cover the fees.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:22 PM

PayPal... The rules I read were... They will not ship to any address other than the one on your credit card, sure thing…. I had my Discover card on file there and it was used to buy and ship products to New York, I live in St. Louis... PayPal was no help at all but Discover took care of it.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:03 PM

Usually it's Only ship to the Confirmed Paypal address..When I sell, that is my rule as well. Helps avoid shipping to someone who hacked the password of someones PP to make purchases.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We finally had to start accepting paypal for ebay sales. Its either that, or quit selling on ebay.

Have personally had no issues.

Been several years, but one close friend with personal account was hacked; and another close friend with a business account was hacked. Almost put the business out of business, as the funds in the account were tied up for several months!

Like others that have already posted, I keep a zero balance in my account.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:30 PM

Never under any circumstance use friends and family for buying parts from strangers , You have no recourse what so ever ! I have had sellers demand friends and family after I offered to add the fee`s . I have used paypal for over 14 years buying and selling and never have had a problem .

Old 03-01-2018, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My wife had a problem with her PayPal account a few years ago, finally had to just close it. Somehow her password was being auto reset. I think she would get an email advising that a change was made and could stop it. But every time she would reset it to a password she would create, it was instantaneously reset to another password.

She got on the phone with PayPal, did the reset, and same thing happened as PayPal watched. They couldn't stop it. I suspected her computer got infected by a virus but never really understood what was happening. So she just killed the account.

We didn't have linked bank accounts and that experience convinced me we shouldn't.

I have bought with the Friends & Family thing for Craigslist items at Seller request. Haven't had a problem but didn't realize I was forfeiting any protection. I remember being annoyed that I had to pay a fee on my end.

I hate spurious fees, call me cheap. When my bank announced (yes Gary, I save at a brick and mortar bank) that they were instituting some new fees, we went looking for on-line alternatives and now we are banking with two such entities. We talked to the bank and learned the fees wouldn't apply to us (at least not yet) but their announcement has cost them some business with us.

Bottom line, I avoid PayPal if it means I have to pay a fee.

I use cc's for every purchase I can. They pay me to use it. And I have had fraudulent charges against my cards over the years. Phone call and the charge goes away with never a cost to me, although these days it means getting a new account which complicates purchases with "card on file", like my toll road pass for example.

I know nothing about it but one of my kids is using Zelle.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Meant to add, I much prefer to buy stuff thru the Amazon site. I still buy on ebay, just completed a small purchase tonight. But Amazon is my preference if I have a choice.

I haven't sold anything thru Amazon and haven't sold anything on ebay in quite awhile. Just stating my preference as a Buyer.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, I like Amazon as well. I've had to return a few things and they make it pretty easy.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Well I opened up a new savings account and immediately transfer $2000 (a fresh sale) from paypal to my bank. The $$$$ disappeared at the push of the button but took more than 24 hrs. to show up in my bank? I didn't sleep well last night wondering how long my $$$$ would be in the Twilight Zone.

Everybody knows somthin.