THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:35 PM

You're welcome. Part of the reason I replied was the thought that euthanizing at home might be a helpful suggestion for someone.

We had a cat too, he was about 16 when he went, and we also had him euthanized at home (quite a few years before our dog). Our cat HATED the car and the vet, even in a carrier. He would growl and hiss and sometimes lose his bowels even in the short 10 minute drive from our house to the vet. He eventually became very frail and also lost nearly all of his sight. He was the reason we originally decided to use the home vet service.

Old 05-07-2018, 05:47 PM
Senior Chief

Great dog that MaX. Happy B,day. Lost out yellow lab a couple years ago.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A vet coming to the house sure sounds like a good way to handle things.

My last two dogs took the decision out of my hands. The first died in a tragic accident while I was at work. The second was found unconscious and barely breathing when I got home from work so I rushed him to the vet where they informed me that there wasn't much they could do as his heart had ruptured.

If my current boys give me the option, I'll definitely have the vet come here.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Happy Birthday Max!

Old 05-07-2018, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longs View Post
You're welcome. Part of the reason I replied was the thought that euthanizing at home might be a helpful suggestion for someone.

We had a cat too, he was about 16 when he went, and we also had him euthanized at home (quite a few years before our dog). Our cat HATED the car and the vet, even in a carrier. He would growl and hiss and sometimes lose his bowels even in the short 10 minute drive from our house to the vet. He eventually became very frail and also lost nearly all of his sight. He was the reason we originally decided to use the home vet service.
I really appreciate you sharing that - it's just one of those things I wouldn't have thought of asking although we are very friendly with our vet and have some common friends - I would think he would accommodate us.

I didn't have much of a choice with my last lab Sammy - she got hit by a car when I was up in Boston and was being watched by my ex. Got the call around 11:30 and was standing in the emergency vet clinic at 2:30 in the morning saying goodbye. When we lost Gradie 2.5 years ago, we brought him to the vet and Sandra was haunted by the thought of just leaving him there - I would have brought him home and buried him with Sammy but she wanted him cremated. Hard decisions.

Today he was a good day for him, he's sleeping next to my desk as I type this - snoring!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 05-07-2018, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Max appears to have lived a very charmed life. The affinity for sweets is really astounding, have not run across that before.

Our big chocolate, Bailey, was 14 when I had to have him put down 13 months ago. Best dog we ever had, miss him every day, he was my shadow when outdoors and was there "helping" the whole time I cleared & leveled the building site for my building.