THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo View Post
No Facebook here either... actually probably slightly aint-facebook. Never been on it, don't want to be. I really appreciate this forum, probably the closest i'll ever be to social media. I caught what you said about merging with another forum Chris. I really appreciate what you've done here, but i really hope it doesn't get messed up in the merger either, as in diluted. We've got an awesome forum and community here.
Not another forum. Another very complimentary website. Other than future updates and some normal house keeping, the PY Forums will largely function as it always has. There will just be more information and additional contributors at your disposal. Trust me, you will like the addition.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great to hear. Looking forward to it. Just didn't want to see anything taken away from this forum... it is the by far the best around. The information and documentation here is invaluable. A lot of the most knowledgeable people in the Pontiac world are or were here, and I wouldn't want to see it go away or be diluted in any way shape or form. I know this forum was your baby from the start Chris, and appreciate it greatly. Sounds like it's going to be the same, only better.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I never had interest in facebook or twitter;
I only signed up to FB at the urging of my uncle - and even then after i signed up, I realized that it was not what he painted it as (he wanted my to somehow get in touch with his niece on his wife's side; think dating site)...

I stuck around...

It is kinda nice to have a degree of interaction... but the interaction is only puddle deep.

I agree whole heartedly that forums are a superior format for sharing information ect - to the point that I am in charge of a site, and in spite of currently having a google block (because of an intermitant redirect which came after the site was hacked a couple times) which has not been fixed, I continue to pay hosting fees...

right now, I find that FB is nice to see:
- what family/friends are up to
- what is happening with local clubs ect
- great for local classifieds (cars or parts)
- great for niche classifieds (eg: Second Gen Graveyard)
- great for niche hobbies (eg: vintage video game groups)

But it has a negative, almost addicting side, where, if you're not aware of it, you feel compelled to see what has happened since you last logged on...

I have been taking a conscious move to step back from FB - it sure helps that the FB/messenger apps require my phones OS to update - which I refuse to do...

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 06-25-2018, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
You asked for input..... What does facebook have that appeals? For myself:

A lessor level of anonymous. Most people are who they say and visible. I believe it helps with forthright and posting issues a bit. It is nice seeing real people not handles.

Ability to have big pics in posts. And videos with play button, and preview screen.

Link and share ease of stuff.

Networking capability and business page stuff. People seeing my post can see I have a business page and click boom to that site, so it is a business exposure benefit.

The international and even in US crossing more social spectrums, of people that post. I see Firebird owners from all over world posting on FB bird site and that is way cool. I know we have international here, but it seems nowhere near the scope.

You can incorporate some from with worlds. Some web forums allow a posting with FB log in. Incorporate some feature that people like in FB. People are expecting this stuff more and more. Make an anti FB stand and that is ignoring that most people utilize it these days, for business and reference and information look up, in conjunction with Google. I thought FB was silly, was forced into it for business reasons, people asking / expecting it. Now that I am on it I see cool features, also negative aspects. Combine some of two formats (old school website and FB interactive style) and you have a winner, IMO.

These observations about the merits of Fb are spot on. We are currently looking into ways to take advantage of some of the convenient and attractive features of FB.

Remember guys, I never said that I wanted you to boycott FB. It has it's place. My appeal is to have everyone take a step back and think.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:10 PM

Well, I don’t get out as often as I once did. I can touch base with former co-workers, family and friends, who want to discuss other things besides cars.

Also I found my dream Bandit TA on FB.

To each his or her own!

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 06-25-2018, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It’s a fair point. I do try to google my automotive issues before I come and beg for help with a new thread. I’m often referred to old posts. Only issue being important photos and dead in my cases. So maybe that’s something for our PY hosts and other message boards to consider. If we are trying to preserve, we need to preserve all the content, not just the text.

That said I’m active on both. There is faaaar more misinformation on the FB groups. A lot more people who don’t even have a car, which shouldn’t be the bar for entry, but crap info is more likely to come from someone who isn’t an owner.

Facebook marketplace is taking over craigslist in many areas. Which I like. It’s harder to make troll accounts I think and you can direct message the person you are trying to buy from.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 06-25-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
It’s a fair point. I do try to google my automotive issues before I come and beg for help with a new thread. I’m often referred to old posts. Only issue being important photos and dead in my cases. So maybe that’s something for our PY hosts and other message boards to consider. If we are trying to preserve, we need to preserve all the content, not just the text.

That said I’m active on both. There is faaaar more misinformation on the FB groups. A lot more people who don’t even have a car, which shouldn’t be the bar for entry, but crap info is more likely to come from someone who isn’t an owner.

Facebook marketplace is taking over craigslist in many areas. Which I like. It’s harder to make troll accounts I think and you can direct message the person you are trying to buy from.

I agree and like the Market Place too!

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 06-25-2018, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
Well, I don’t get out as often as I once did. I can touch base with former co-workers, family and friends, who want to discuss other things besides cars.

Also I found my dream Bandit TA on FB.

To each his or her own!
All good reasons to participate on FB!

Old 06-25-2018, 01:52 PM
Senior Chief

I am a member of a few Pontiac groups on Facebook.. but they are pretty
lightweight.. ( as is most of FB anyway)

If I am looking for answers to technical questions or how-to type things..
I definitely start here on the Ames ( ex-PY) forums.. the boards here
allow for more in-depth talk about issues, clearances, things to look out for..etc..

The biggest benefit of the FB forums is a bigger pool of users to find someone
that might have that unusual part I might need for one of my cars.. ( just got
a mast antenna and base for my 66 Ventura for example)

There are also people on there who obviously dont know crap about pontiacs
specifically and it can be nice to nip some idiocy in the bud before it gets nuts.

I have referred people to this site for more reading.. dont know if they ever took it up..

Thanks again for the knowledge here.. its still one of the most valuable Poncho sites..

John

1964 Starchief 4 Dr Sedan - 389 4Bbl - Auto - Pinehurst Green/ Gold cloth

1964 Grand Prix - 389 4 BBl w SupHyd auto

1964 Catalina Safari - 63 389 200r4 auto.. 2.69 POSI rear

1964 Bonneville Vert - 389 4bbl - Auto - Ext Color - Saddle/Saddle int

1965 2+2 - WG 421 4Bbl - 4 spd - Bluemist Slate w White/black int

1966 Ventura 4 dr Sdn - 389 4Bbl - Auto -Orig Color - Barrier Blue
Old 06-25-2018, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharkun8 View Post

I definitely start here on the Ames ( ex-PY) forums..

John
Not to jack my own thread but...….

Just for the record, it's always been and still is the 'PY Online Forums' We still own, manage and run the forums.

As part of our merger agreement, Ames has been the title sponsor since Performance Years and Ames merged a little over 3 years ago.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if a new merger takes place , can you also change the URL back to Performance Years ?

Or URL of just PY.com

Almost everyone still calls/refers to it as PY , or some now PY / Ames

No one has adjusted to maxperformance or uses that moniker.
Its basically an unknown entity amongst the hobby.
PerformanceYears Forum was well known and a long living legend in most circles.

When giving suggestion to others to check it or out , or referencing something about a topic on another site - back to this site .... i don't think folks are finding it.
Or not finding it easy enough.

Have had some say to me in recent years what a shame the PY site went down. lol

Old 06-25-2018, 05:02 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post
Not to jack my own thread but...….

Just for the record, it's always been and still is the 'PY Online Forums' We still own, manage and run the forums.

As part of our merger agreement, Ames has been the title sponsor since Performance Years and Ames merged a little over 3 years ago.
Oops ... Sorry.. should have known I guess because I had wondered why
the name was never changed to Ames forums..

Anyway.. still great work and keep it up..

John

1964 Starchief 4 Dr Sedan - 389 4Bbl - Auto - Pinehurst Green/ Gold cloth

1964 Grand Prix - 389 4 BBl w SupHyd auto

1964 Catalina Safari - 63 389 200r4 auto.. 2.69 POSI rear

1964 Bonneville Vert - 389 4bbl - Auto - Ext Color - Saddle/Saddle int

1965 2+2 - WG 421 4Bbl - 4 spd - Bluemist Slate w White/black int

1966 Ventura 4 dr Sdn - 389 4Bbl - Auto -Orig Color - Barrier Blue
Old 06-25-2018, 05:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

As it's been said, they both have their place. More detailed info here on Pontiac, more knowledge here.
FB has more pics, more of what's happening right now, more for sale.

I check in with FB. I spend an hour or so here.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, all true. I said from the beginning that FB, is a cheezy, halfassed webpage that could be so much more, but the designers must be lazy. That said, it's easier to sit in an armchair and browse conversation rather than sit at a desk. Forums just don't come through that well on cel phones. Funny thing is some of the more active Pontiac people I've seen on FB groups have never even been on here..

Old 06-25-2018, 06:42 PM
Boost Engineer

I was happy to read that you try to keep all of the member's posts whenever possible. I was on the "Pictures site" today (for the first time (DOH), and saw a ton of pictures of member's Pontiacs and other info like Engine Pictures and Parts Pictures.
I will have to spend a bunch more time over there from now on. Thanks Chris C.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
Facebook ? I don't even carry a cell phone !

Smart man!

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 06-25-2018, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post
Not another forum. Another very complimentary website. Other than future updates and some normal house keeping, the PY Forums will largely function as it always has. There will just be more information and additional contributors at your disposal. Trust me, you will like the addition.
I can think of one...

Old 06-25-2018, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm on FB because that's how I keep track of old high school/work friends and family members. I'm on ONE FB Pontiac site(same one as Mongo) but spend far more time here. Chris, thanks for keeping this the premier site for Pontiac performance.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 06-25-2018, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a couple friends that live on the 62 pontiac and 63 pontiac FB pages.I dont do FB,twitter or any of them.Tom

Old 06-25-2018, 07:56 PM
Senior Chief

... "never seen so much Religion and Politics rammed up our butts in my life as you see on there"

This is why I bailed on Facebook...coming up on 1 year now. Too much hate, lies, disinformation, name-calling, slandering, insults, etc. What was briefly fun turned into a garbage bin for me, so I quit.

Still love PY after all these years!

Harvey