THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default TV Soundbars?

I just bought a new tv. Fantastic picture and wimpy tin-can sound.
I don't need audiophile sound or booming home theatre sound....just need to get rid of the tin can.
Anybody got direct experience to share....especially with the cheaper ones?

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 07-02-2018, 07:06 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to steveinmontana

I said the same thing after I bought my 60" a couple months ago.
I went to Best Buy and got this. It's fine for me. Sounds good. No way the best out there, but,...

It does make Forza 7 come alive!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...4Gbg&gclsrc=ds

Old 07-02-2018, 07:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wally world has a selection.

I'm adverse to sub-woofer systems. Greatly favor full range audio outputs.

Luckly our tv sounds fine enough for music.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A few moths ago, I bought a Sony 65" tv. The sound was terrible because the tv is so thin, they can't incorporate good speakers. Bought a Sony soundbar because I like to keep brand components compatible. This soundbar came with a wireless woofer. Couldn't be happier with it. Sound is great. Was about $200.00. No complaints.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just bought a Viso for under $200. Great sound, but for some reason it turns itself off after 15 minutes or so unless you adjust the volume every once in while.

Also my TV remote will not turn the sound bar on, you have to use the remote for the sound bar to turn it on. The remote with the TV will control the volume just not the power. Things to consider.......

1966 GTO Post Coupe, 467ci. N/A Pump gas, best 1/4 11.6 118mph
1966 GTO Post Coupe, "The Bright Idea" 535ci. N/A Pump gas, best 1/4 9.58 141mph
Old 07-02-2018, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Classic problem with flat screens. I have a Samsung tv and got a sound bar with wireless woofer made by Samsung. Very similar to steveinmontana's. His may be the newer version. The sound is fine, just enough bass to add a little pop to the movies but no where near surround theatre type sound. That is ok with me though as the tv is in my living room not a theatre environment. Im pushing 55 so at this point im happy just hearing dialog. In my youth I always had the best home stereo and car audio money could buy. I could care less now, basic radio works just fine.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveinmontana View Post
I went to Best Buy and got this. It's fine for me. Sounds good. No way the best out there, but,...

I have that one in my office. Sounds good for the cost.
I put this one in the den.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=6199816
Sounds as good as the Bose Home Theatre I replaced.

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 07-02-2018, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Had same issue and got a Yamaha bar, no woofer box or other speakers and it fixed "good nuff". Not home theater or big sound but all I was looking for. It was not expensive. Looks like $200 now,

Old 07-02-2018, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I too recommend staying with the same brand for compatibility. Just makes life easier. We have LG TV and Samsung sound bar ... gets a little hinky sometimes.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This guy has a weekly column in my local newspaper: http://soundadvicenews.com/ He has recommended Zevox sound bars, they have some models that apparently are designed to make speech easier to understand (for those of us old people with crummy hearing. ) For low price bars he's recommended the Insignia brand from Best Buy, I see they have one on sale now that's only $40 and another for $50.

I have a small 19" TV that sits next to my computer on my desk at home, for that one I just use a set of inexpensive computer speakers with subwoofer and it works fine. I do have to adjust the volume by hand, but that's not a problem since it's sitting right there in front of me.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveinmontana View Post

I have same one,very happy with sound quality and works great with my Sony tv

69 gto ,all#match,467,th400,3:55 Easton posi,resto completed may 2016. 427 hp/530tq. Stump puller with stock#62 , stock intake and qjet
Th400 gone. Tkx close ratio with .64 of
66 Pontiac Beaumont sport deluxe,BB 5sp tko 3:08 auburn 450hp 550 torque wife sold it
Old 07-02-2018, 03:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep ... there is a lot of "What did he say?" happening in our house when the wife and I are watching TV

Old 07-02-2018, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Yep ... there is a lot of "What did he say?" happening in our house when the wife and I are watching TV

Damn if I had a dollar for every time I've asked that question....

Getting old & hearing loss suck!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 07-02-2018, 06:03 PM

Check out the Polk system at Best buy. If they have the demo hooked up and the Polk system is one of the options try it and you can hear the difference, best low base without vibration feedback. The subwoofer is wireless but still need a wall plug of course. The instructions are basic but will link to existing remote, dish remote in my case. I see where people have trouble getting remote to work but it is really simple. You can hook up by Bluetooth or optic cable.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I love the Bluetooth soundbars so much that I've eliminated my home stereo system altogether. I can play all the songs I want to hear from my laptop or cell phone and sync those same speakers to my tv.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for all the input. The tv is a Vizio so I bought a Vizio sound bar. Does exactly what I needed...much better sound, nothing fancy. The TV remote works the volume on both units. $78 from Walmart. I can see where this would be a disappointment for doing home theatre.....the separate subwoofer would be the ticket for that.

Thanks again,
Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 07-03-2018, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad you found something that works for you. Dont kid yourself about the separate subwoofer though. It enhances the sound but it is nowhere near theatre quality. You need to step and play with the big boys for that. My buddy has a kick @$$ sound system with his setup that rivals anything I have heard in a movie theatre. But, quite frankly it gets tiring listening at that level. It is great with an action movie but my cheapo system for normal everyday is just fine.