Old 04-12-2018, 02:26 PM

Default Inherited a '62 convertible - questions

I recently inherited my dad's '62 LeMans. It has the Trophy 4 (4bbl, I think) and 3-speed manual.

I'm sure I'll have many more questions as I get to know the car more, but for now I have two:

1. Which is the correct shift pattern?
R 2
1 3
or
R 3
1 2

2. The fuel pump needs replaced. I purchased a Carter M3643, which both Amazon and Carter says fits the 3.2l (as well as the 3.5, which perhaps should have been a red flag). With help from a family member (I'm not terribly mechanical) we installed it but it didn't work (plus, the bolt holes were a little too small, so we drilled them out a little. The arm/rod on that looks different from the one that was on it. Has anyone found a mechanical pump that fits correctly?

Old 04-12-2018, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Standard 3 speed shift pattern. Mechanical fuel pumps are hard to find. rebuild kits are available if you want it to appear stock. I run an electric pump back at the gas tank with a toggle switch as a theft deterrent.

POCI.org
Old 04-12-2018, 03:03 PM

Thanks, Keith!

It's rather frustrating to have a manufacturer say their part fits when in actuality it doesn't. Now that we modified the bolt holes I doubt I can return it.

I'm not opposed to switching to electric, other than the process to install it. The current pump works, but if the car sits a few days without being started, it needs primed. I assume there's a seal or something inside the pump that is failing, so maybe a rebuild is the way to go.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That is not the fuel pump.Our modern fuel will evaporate in a few days.I found my 4 cyc took some cranking to refill the fuel bowl.You will learn these cars are not for the weak of wallet.Tom

Old 07-23-2018, 12:02 AM

Consider joining the Little Indians club. Tons of free knowledge to share and only $15 /yr. Bi-monthly newsletter and alot of tech articles and parts for sale
littleindians.com

63 Lemans convt. Present
63 Tempest HT bbw Parts car
Old 07-23-2018, 01:14 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalShock View Post
... if the car sits a few days without being started, it needs primed...
As was posted, fuel evaporation can do that. But it can also be due to a tiny leak in the tank-to-pump line- so tiny that you never see fuel leakage, but it allows air to enter and air-lock the line. This is especially true where the line goes over the rear axle, higher than the fuel level in the tank. I've had this happen more than once.

If you do add an electric pump- all of them I've used don't need to be back at the tank- they work fine in the engine compartment. I have one up front in my Suburban, in the line between the tank and the mechanical pump. It's actuated by a momentary pushbutton switch, mainly to enable the engine to start immediately when I get it out of winter storage, but it's also handy if the truck sits a couple weeks not driven.

Have fun with the Tempest convertible!