Old 08-15-2018, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default help with trunk mat install

I know I saw this before but a search did not bring up the install of the trunk mat. I figured out the bottom most mat. There appears to be slightly removed corner on the upper mat and some pre cut perforations lines on the back. The perforations would have to be cut to make an edge. I don`t see why either the corner removed or perforations are there but which way is up? Thanks

Old 08-15-2018, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You don’t mention year?

Photo is 1965.

Slight corner trim at the lower LH corner on upper mat.

Hope that helps.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FE2B6382-AB65-456B-AE80-2672E458232C.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	490486  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok but are the perforations on the back separated to help contour the mat over the differential hump? I know I have seen an original, (may have been a Chevelle) that actually fit the hump better than what you show Chris. Mine looks like yours. Kinda lumpy. Thanks. The box says 64-65 GTO.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by War eagle View Post
Ok but are the perforations on the back separated to help contour the mat over the differential hump? I know I have seen an original, (may have been a Chevelle) that actually fit the hump better than what you show Chris. Mine looks like yours. Kinda lumpy. Thanks. The box says 64-65 GTO.
Car is put away and covered now.

The top mat is OEM, which is kinda lumpy, but it is a 53 year old stiff rubber mat.
Bottom, large mat is ACC repro and is soft rubber.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.

Last edited by 60sstuff; 08-15-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't run out to my car to look, so it's a 25 year old memory....

If the perforations are near the back center of the upper mat about 12" apart - I think they are for the convertible top pump which is mounted on the upper shelf.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post

If the perforations are near the back center of the upper mat about 12" apart - I think they are for the convertible top pump which is mounted on the upper shelf.
I would agree with this statement.

Same top mat for hardtop and convertible. You would cut it at the perforations and fold up for the top motor.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The original trunk mat in my 65 has the cut-out on the lower left corner of the upper mat, I would guess to help it over the wheel well hump. The lower right corner does not have this cut. No relief cuts in the upper top center for anything.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a 1965 mat in storage that I purchased 35 years and I took a look at it today. It does have the LT corner cut out and the 2 perforated lines. I never knew what the perforations were for but after the champ stated they were for the convertible top I pulled up some convertible pictures and he is 100% correct. What I did notice today was that the perforations seem to separating slightly. I would assume due to the age and I had it rolled up. I do not have a convertible so I put gorilla tape on the underside to prevent further separation. It appears the reproductions are much thinner and not the same material.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A direct message to me says the differential hump on original mats may have been formed like a carpet. It sounds logical because the aftermarket mat does not look that great.