THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think new cars are ok at some shows and cruise ins, but for most shows they should stay at home until theyre an antique.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was never a fan of the 4th gen body style but I came across one for sale locally recently and bought it (Camaro not Firebird). It's growing on me. Hagerty did an article on 4th gen earlier this year;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagerty
Looking at buyer interest, as measured by insurance quote activity, attention is certainly on fourth-gen Camaros as Hagerty currently receives more quotes for 1993–2002 Camaros than 1970–81 models
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...ro-collectible

1974 Trans Am, 400 4-speed, 3.42 rear.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No way I'd ever purchase a Hellcat. In a straight line they are fine, but in a corner... unbelievably poor handling. They are pigs. Squeaks and rattles abound. The '77 I have handles better and does not have the typical poor traits of a modern FIATMOBILE.

I did break the rear tires loose at 60. Good power for sure. The rest of the car..not for me.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 08-25-2018, 11:48 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
No way I'd ever purchase a Hellcat. In a straight line they are fine, but in a corner... unbelievably poor handling. They are pigs. Squeaks and rattles abound. The '77 I have handles better and does not have the typical poor traits of a modern FIATMOBILE.
LOL! They are not meant to be cone killers. Put your '77 up against one at Cicero and report back.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:

I did break the rear tires loose at 60. Good power for sure. The rest of the car..not for me.

Was this your Hellcat you describe? It surprises me, maybe you had a lemon because my current Challenger has not a single squeak or rattle and while it does not perform in a corner as well as a corvette it is really not too far from handling as well as a comparable Mustang or Camaro (has Eibach suspension) and I drive her quite spirited on the back roads - actually was having a blast coming up behind a newer mustang the other day, we were both giving it hell until the downpour of rain put an end to it BUT I can do everything and go on long road trips with both my daughters comfortably in the back seat.

Last edited by T/A addict; 08-25-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:02 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacstogo View Post
I was never a fan of the 4th gen body style but I came across one for sale locally recently and bought it (Camaro not Firebird). It's growing on me. Hagerty did an article on 4th gen earlier this year;

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...ro-collectible
That's not a surprise at all. I think you would find you're always going to get more quotes on a newer model than an older one. By itself that means nothing. There's a lot more of them on the road that need to be insured.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by T/A addict View Post
Was this your Hellcat you describe? It surprises me, maybe you had a lemon because my current Challenger has not a single squeak or rattle and while it does not perform in a corner as well as a corvette it is really not too far from handling as well as a comparable Mustang or Camaro (has Eibach suspension) and I drive her quite spirited on the back roads - actually was having a blast coming up behind a newer mustang the other day, we were both giving it hell until the downpour of rain put an end to it BUT I can do everything and go on long road trips with both my daughters comfortably in the back seat.
I worked on it, to eliminate some of the squeaks and rattles. I got rid of some, but some still present. Another on this board said it well corncerning the handling: "handles like a semi with a loose load"..

As for Cicero..I'd hope the 700 HP would kick the crap of my smogger. The big bitch also weighs 500 lbs more..

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 08-25-2018, 01:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO68FXSTC98 View Post
I've owned one Dodge 2000 Dakota, they rust easy and the bearings fail constantly. JUNK!!!
Completely irrelevant comment, but thanks for playing.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 08-25-2018, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Man I guess I have been lucky with the new Challengers I had. not a squeak or rattle in them. I have had at least 20 fbodys from the 70,s,all low mileage cars. while I love the the looks and nostalgia of them , lets face it ,very poor quality control. And talk about rattles and squeeks!!!!! I don't think the op was comparing 70,s TA,S to a Hellcat anyway. He was comparing to a 30th anniversary?, and I never liked them anyway. Just a personal opinion. Not going to rag on Pontiacs, because I love them. My Pontiac love ended with the last Pontiac v8.

Last edited by J GLASGO; 08-25-2018 at 02:21 PM. Reason: aa
Old 08-25-2018, 02:32 PM
Suspended

I owned 2 road worthy F bodies, a '76 T/A 455/4 speed I bought new and a '87 Formula T.P. injected w/5 speed. Both rode like lumber wagons with the '87 being much worse. The '87 also was full of rattles. I didn't care because I was driving hot rods not a freaking Cadillac. If I had been looking for a quite, cushy ride I would have bought a Lincoln Town Car. Maybe that is why people that want to look like they work buy a Chevy truck while those that actually do buy a Dodge or a Ford truck.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

lol

There's plenty of vids featuring Hellcats on road courses such as the Nurburgring or Road America, and they're moving! They're definitely a straight line car, but they handle amazing for what they are. Most think because of their weight, they cant turn, but it's simply not the case.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 08-25-2018, 04:13 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
lol

There's plenty of vids featuring Hellcats on road courses such as the Nurburgring or Road America, and they're moving! They're definitely a straight line car, but they handle amazing for what they are. Most think because of their weight, they cant turn, but it's simply not the case.
Yep, Dodge is a road course car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K7S_78IdQY

Old 08-26-2018, 01:39 PM

I looked into buying a used Hellcat Charger but the price hasn't come down much on them and the Chargers are hard to find. So I bought a 2016 SRT 392 Charger in B5 blue. It's plenty fast. I found myself questioning do I really NEED a 700 hp street car or do I want one. The insurance for a Hellcat is up there too. So instead of a Hellcat I have a house cat.
The comment about the Challengers having rattles etc, I bought a new 02 WS6 6 speed and that thing rattled and squeaked from the time I left the dealer. I loved the looks of the car and how it ran but it was a POS as far as build quality. The interior was cheap feeling and not really comfortable. The final straw was it started leaking water on the passenger side floor. The dealer said the t-top needs a new gasket. I never even removed the t-tops. After 2 trips to the dealer I found the leak was coming from the cowl area. Took it back and they told me the fire wall had split either a seam or something and we put some sealer over it should be good. Ended up trading it in for a 05 GTO.

Old 08-26-2018, 02:12 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula496 View Post
do I really NEED a 700 hp street car.
If that thought even runs through your mind, you mind as well just buy a Kia Soul.

Old 08-26-2018, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a no brainer.... 30th Anniversary all the way. One better than that tho.... a 10th Anniversary TA with a 400 and 4 speed. Now that's the way to go.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You know something else to think about. Im surprised they dont advertise it more but Chrysler is offering lifetime warranties on gas vehicles right now. I bought a new Ram in February. Its a legit mfg warranty not a dealer warranty. They offer it on new or certified vehicles. Its not free but its something you can usually bully the dealership into. I got the level 2 which covers powertrain and suspension for free.

Maybe hellcats are special and dont count, but as far as I know its all non diesels.

If you buy a certified used Hellcat in theory you could have a 707 HP car with a lifetime warranty.

Again Im surprised they dont advertise that more, that warranty was basically the reason I went with a Ram over other half ton pickups

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 08-26-2018, 02:55 PM
Suspended

Back in the Hemi musclecar days, if you bought a new Hemi car the only warranty you got was the tail light warranty.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
It's a no brainer.... 30th Anniversary all the way. One better than that tho.... a 10th Anniversary TA with a 400 and 4 speed. Now that's the way to go.
Wouldn't that be a treat for sure!

Hey Chief...…. You're busting me up

I have seen guys on the Challenger forum mention lifetime warranties available for years but can't recall if anyone has mentioned it on the Cat or not.

And I'm not comparing the 2 cars by any means..... Just weighing personal options on my next purchase....

Old 08-26-2018, 05:33 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by T/A addict View Post
Wouldn't that be a treat for sure!

Hey Chief...…. You're busting me up

I have seen guys on the Challenger forum mention lifetime warranties available for years but can't recall if anyone has mentioned it on the Cat or not.

And I'm not comparing the 2 cars by any means..... Just weighing personal options on my next purchase....
I try man. Life is too short to be serious 24/7/365.

But I was serious about Hemi cars not having a warranty. I got a buddy that worked on them at a dealership when they were new. The stories he has told me are priceless. Especally about the cop cars that would come in.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think others have mentioned this but it is worth revisiting. It all boils down to what you are going to do with the car and personal taste.

The "uniqueness" of being the "baddest" on the road soon wears off (usually when the next years models role out) or when everyone else has one. With the number of these cars I see around they are not that "unique" anymore. The price to buy one plus insurance is going to be steep and if the car ends up sitting in the garage a lot you will question whether you could have spent the money more wisely.

If you are going drag racing you can make that much horsepower a lot cheaper and in a car built for the track. I remember when Vipers were all the rage and I ran one at our local track in my 78 TA (to be fair my car was a purpose built drag car that just "looked" stock). Point is they are street cars not race cars so if you buy one for a lot of track use you might be questioning the cost effectiveness.

I like all kinds of cars and different brands. I am partial to Pontiacs but realize there are some other very neat brands out there. Personally I like driving something that you don't see a lot of and still can "hang" with most of the late model stuff. Not too hard to do if you do your homework.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VMP burnout.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	491591