Old 10-17-2018, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '64 GTO Mounting the Grilles

Looking for some photos that show the hardware used to mount the grilles at the top. I have what I need at the bottom, but missing the top.

Thanks for the assist!

Old 10-18-2018, 09:07 AM

Here is an original: screw, insert, grommet.
Screw threads into the rad top brace - no clip nut.
Parts book shows three top screws but my grill is punched for only two .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181018_084339.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	495330  

Old 10-18-2018, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is this what you need John?
https://secure.amesperf.com/qilan/De...A&web_access=Y
Or maybe just this:https://secure.amesperf.com/qilan/De...A&web_access=Y

Old 10-18-2018, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

tempest1964, that is actually what I have.

I also have the original hardware that came off my car. I just failed to take any pix showing how the top pieces go together.

I do have pix showing the clip nuts and screws at the bottom of the grille along with a little rubber bumper. I have all of this hardware too.

Jim, I think I know why the Parts Book would show (3) screws per side. My Parts Book is packed away, what section is the illustration shown for the grilles? Any chance you could post a jpeg of that illustration?

In my hardware bag, I identified (4) Grilles to Radiator Support Bolts and (4) Grilles to Radiator Support Grommets and Sleeves. My grilles of course only have (2) holes each, same as you.

But in the same bag, I also identified (2) Center Nose Panel to Radiator Support Bolts. I did NOT note (2) additional Grommets and Sleeves.

But in the Bag I have (6) identical self-threading hex head screws (no screwdriver slots). And also (6) Grommets and Sleeves.

So I'm thinking the Nose Panel must also use the same Grommets and Sleeves and accounts for why the Illustration would show (3) per side.

Can anybody confirm that the Nose Panel uses the Grommets also?

Since the Ames Kit only supplies (4) Grommets and Sleeves, I figure I'll be reusing (2) originals.

I also would like to confirm the orientation of the metal Sleeves. I would think the flange would be up so that the bolt head would bear against it.

Is that correct?

Haven't compared the Ames hardware to the originals but none of the screws in the kit look like the (6) original self-threading screws in my bag which are not pointy at the tip. Just looking at the picture the threads look way more coarse than my originals.

The original lower screws are flange head, look like the ones in the upper right of the Ames picture or maybe the plated ones in the top center? But the originals are coarse thread, can't tell if the Ames pieces are same size and thread. Will have to compare in person.

What are the washers used for in the Ames kit? And why are there (12) screws altogether?

Old 10-18-2018, 08:13 PM

John,
Here is the page you requested.
My mistake for saying the parts book shows 3 screws in top of each grill. I meant to say that the top of the grill shows holes for 3 screws. The parts list gives the quantity of grommets and sleeves as 4. meaning 2 in the top of each grill.

The grommets would be snapped into the 4 holes first, then the sleeves would be inserted into the grommets from the top and finally the hex hd screws go in from the top. Screw size is shown in the attachment.
Notice the nose shown as pt 3 has no screw holes in the top. Just a drawing error.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 64Grill5.pdf (218.3 KB, 63 views)

Old 10-18-2018, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim, thanks!

That helps a lot "generally" although....

Item 15, Cross Brace to Grille Screw is shown as p/n 9416677, described as 14-10x1/2".

If you check Gr. 8.977, you will find 9416677 described as a zinc plated hex head screw with Point Type A (pointy) but 3/4" long, still 14-10.

My (6) screws are 1/4-20x5/8". Hex head with a BT type point except I think technically this is a fine thread screw so Type Point T (BT would be similar but a coarse thread).

I can't say my screws are original.

I have not reused the original Radiator Support. It was very good condition except had sustained minor impact damage at the nose panel area so decided to replace it.

I will check on Monday to see if the replacement accepts 14-10 or 1/4-20 screws. Perhaps the Ames Kit has the correct screws after all and mine were replaced at some point?

Anybody have a comment about using the Grommets and Sleeves for the top of the Nose Panel?

I realized after I posted that in addition to the (6) Grommets and Sleeves that I'm certain I removed and bagged up 25 years ago, I also have a single Grommet (no Sleeve) that I recently pulled off the LH Grille before sending it out for plating (yes, I had mine nickel plated rather than just polished). It was the only Grommet on both Grilles that I sent out for plating.

I don't recall acquiring an extra Grille but I can't think of a reason why this one Grommet was still in the Grille when all the rest were bagged up. Doesn't really make any sense unless I have an extra Grille socked away somewhere (which is possible).

Still hoping for advice about the Nose Panel using Grommets and Sleeves.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:36 PM

John,
Let me start with what I feel very sure about: - the top screws in the nose panel do not use sleeves or grommets.

Next I tried a 14 - 10 x 1/2" long screw to go through the sleeve grommet, grill and thread into the panel. Clearly the screw is too short. From that I can conclude that the 3/4" screws are to be used with the grommet and sleeve.
The 1/2" lg: 14-10 fit fine for the pieces that are metal to metal like the nose.
The 3/4" that I have in the grommet/ grill connection is 1/4 -20 hex hd without a flange on the head. The end of these are the thread cutting shape.
I do not see any 14-10 X 3/4 in this area.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

64 LeMans, a little rusty but these are original as far as I know.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Old 10-19-2018, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can remove one if length is needed for the screw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HALFWAY View Post
64 LeMans, a little rusty but these are original as far as I know.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Halfway, pix are awesome.

If you could remove one to see the length and also the Point Type that would be very helpful to me.

Looks like the Hood Release Mechanism has the Grommets and Sleeves on the top!

So that probably explains why I had (6) sets in my bag even though I didn't identify them for the Hood Release Mechanism on the bag.

And Flange Head Screws for the Nose Panel.

Very informative.

Where was that Lemans built?

Old 10-19-2018, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pics then dimensions.

This is the fastener for the nose piece.

7/16" x 13/16" - 1/2" head

Old 10-19-2018, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry the hood latch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HALFWAY View Post
Pics then dimensions.

This is the fastener for the nose piece.

7/16" x 13/16" - 1/2" head

Old 10-19-2018, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nose piece

1/4" dia x 5/16" - 3/8" head with flange.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Grill

1/4" dia x 5/8" - 3/8" head.

Grommet with insert 1/2" thick, 3/4" od 5/16" I'd.

KC built July 64

Old 10-19-2018, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Damn autocorrect, the grommet is 1/4" thick.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your bolt is identical in all respects to mine! See my pic. Thanks for the assist.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0732.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	495463  

Old 10-19-2018, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oops, just realized I didn't look at all the pix.

So no Grommet for the Hood Release Mechanism. And a special washer, not flat. And a different type screw.

And hex head flanged screws for the Nose Panel.

Rechecking the (6) self-threading screws that came off the car that I thought were identical, (4) are 1/4-20. The other (2) look identical but on close inspection, have a different head marking and don't accept a 1/4"x20 nut. I'm thinking they might be metric. I don't have a metric nut to check them with. A 3/8" wrench works on the head but so does a 10 mm wrench. 3/8" is 9.5 mm so too close to call.

I'm certain PMD was not using metric screws in '64, haha! So if they are metric, they won't be going back on the car. But the (4) SAE ones should be enough to install the grilles.

Anyway, thanks again for all the info posted here.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Correct, no grommet for the hood latch.

I can't be sure the washer is original but if not, replaced with the same size. Appears to be a flat washer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Oops, just realized I didn't look at all the pix.

So no Grommet for the Hood Release Mechanism. And a special washer, not flat. And a different type screw.

And hex head flanged screws for the Nose Panel.

Rechecking the (6) self-threading screws that came off the car that I thought were identical, (4) are 1/4-20. The other (2) look identical but on close inspection, have a different head marking and don't accept a 1/4"x20 nut. I'm thinking they might be metric. I don't have a metric nut to check them with. A 3/8" wrench works on the head but so does a 10 mm wrench. 3/8" is 9.5 mm so too close to call.

I'm certain PMD was not using metric screws in '64, haha! So if they are metric, they won't be going back on the car. But the (4) SAE ones should be enough to install the grilles.

Anyway, thanks again for all the info posted here.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got it, thought it looked dished in the pic.