Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-18-2017, 01:05 PM
Senior Chief

Default TorqStorm Supper Charger

Anyone ever use them or have feedback. .good deal for the price.

http://www.torqstorm.com/kits_single_pontiac_326

Old 07-18-2017, 01:30 PM
Boost Engineer

Knockoff of the Vortech Supercharger, the Paxton Supercharger and the Powerdyne supercharger. Some have tried to use the unit but with the other companies (Vortech and Paxton you could basically select the HP you wanted. The Powerdyne unit's main benefit was no gear noise (internal belt driven).

The Torqstorm stuff in in the "infant" stage vs the other guys stuff.
It might be a great unit if your budget and desires fit the units capability.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

who the hell needs more than 600HP on the street anyways? Seems like the Torqstorm is a good setup for the price and if it reliably gives another 100hp at the least, that is not bad at all. I know guys with 800HP hotrods that never even smoke the tires... All show. :-)

www.musclecarsgalore.com
www.nikivee.com
[www.reverbnation.com/nikivee

1967 Pontiac GTO
1967 Pontiac Grand Prix
1972 Pontiac Lemans Sport Convertible
2015 Dodge Challenger ScatPack 392, 6 speed
2017 Ford Explorer AWD
Old 10-23-2018, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickv View Post
who the hell needs more than 600HP on the street anyways?

I am considering one of these units for my wife's chevelle. I haven't read too much negative about them and for a street system with some cool factor, it may be a good bang for the buck.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:17 PM
Boost Engineer

I went to the Website, http://www.torqstorm.com
The link in post #1 does not work.

1) They claim 700 HP with their design. OK.
2) They claim a Ceramic Ball Bearing feature in the shaft support system along with a Limited Lifetime Warranty. (Sears had a Lifetime Warranty and I don't think I will be able to bring back my screwdrivers and other tools in the near future, LOL).
3) The unit resembles the Procharger unit more than the Vortech or Paxton Supercharger as it does not have external oil cooling capability.
With the Procharger/Torqstorm type system you are talking Model A "Splash" type oiling vs the ability to cool the specific HP supercharger with engine oil.
4) Another question would be how quiet the supercharger is. The old Vortech S.C "A-Trim and "B-Trim" were NOISY suckers. They fixed that deal on their units with a much better Gear Mesh design on the later Vortech and Paxton units. Course If you like Noisy Superchargers you are a new guy to the world of supercharging or are over 60 years old and reliving the fantasy of the 60s.

You want to sneak up on the guy and take his money like AZN and Farm Truck, not make a lot of noise like the Dairy Queen Guys.

But do whatever you want with your money, It is your money.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There's quite a number of videos with these units (mostly on late model cars/trucks) installed. They are decently noisy and do sound more like a procharger than a vortech head unit.

I see these as kind of the Weiand 142 supercharger of centrifugal superchargers. Cheap, and made for the street hobbyist that just wants a little more pop without reinventing the wheel or spending an arm and two of their neighbor's legs.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

$2800 for supercharger or $2500 for heads. For a bolt on I think the Supercharger would make more power. http://www.torqstorm.com/kits_single...c_326-455.html

Old 10-23-2018, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wonder if that would have hood clearance issues with any kind of raised intake. I have to run a drop base with an RPM. I mean honestly when I think about the money into my engine with headwork and all that, 2800 for the supercharger and less into the top end would probably make similar power for less money.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 10-23-2018, 05:25 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
I wonder if that would have hood clearance issues with any kind of raised intake. I have to run a drop base with an RPM. I mean honestly when I think about the money into my engine with headwork and all that, 2800 for the supercharger and less into the top end would probably make similar power for less money.
Very Valid Point. With boost the head flow change from say a Edelbrock 280 cfm intake port to a 340 cfm port doesn't mean much when with boost and the right boost device a guy like Palbykin made 1600 hp with a true 260 cfm cast iron head.

A big flowing head just lowers the boost number for bragging rights.
Example: I run 8.40s with 12 psi of boost vs I run 8.40s with 28 psi of boost.
Just "Racing Boost". The same air mass is going thru both engines to make the same HP.

Tom V

Old 10-24-2018, 06:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If we can stay on this subject of boost and 1600 hp out of a iron Head flowing 260 Intake cfm let's talk about what the Exh to Intake ratio needs to be on NA motors as the compression goes up above 12 to 1!

So to start of does any one know what the Exh ports flowed in Martys 670 heads?
I am willing to bet that it was not over 240 cfm!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 10-24-2018, 09:08 AM
Boost Engineer

You would win that bet. I believe the exhausts as installed were in the high 190s for exhaust flow. 75% exhaust would be 196 cfm. The engine was a turbo motor so you run the same ratio as a NA engine. Marty had some E-Heads later done that were in the 240 cfm range on the exhaust. Best ETs on the track were with the cast iron 260 heads.
Intake flow on the edelbrock heads was in the low 300 cfm range. Not bad as the people would think, especially with Big Chief running maybe 340 cfm intake heads.

In the 1996 time frame a really, really good RA-IV head done by Diamond would do 300 cfm.

I have some 1st run ported E heads where the exhaust flows 255 cfm (close to Marty's cast iron intake port flowed). They were ported for a centrifugal supercharger engine.
They were done in the 1998-2000 timeframe.

Tom V.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
$2800 for supercharger or $2500 for heads. For a bolt on I think the Supercharger would make more power. http://www.torqstorm.com/kits_single...c_326-455.html
The kit doesn't have the blow-through carb that is required, so that's another $800-$1000.

These types of kits aren't a "street" application. Yea, you could put one on a car that is still street legal but it isn't going to have any kind of street manners, especially on a motor that wasn't originally set up for boost.

77 Trans Am, 469 w/ported E-Heads via Kauffman, matched HSD intake, Butler Performance forged rotating assembly, Comp custom hyd roller, Q-jet, Art Carr 200 4R, 3.42s, 3 inch exhaust w/Doug's cutouts, D.U.I. Ignition. 7.40 in the 8th, 11.61@116.07 in the quarter...still tuning.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:50 AM
Boost Engineer

Can't disagree with those statements Navy Horn 16.

You could expect to spend a lot of time tuning a "DIY" Blow-thru carb or you could pay Roger at C&S for a good one but either way it will be $$$$ or Time and Gas $$$$.

Some of the Blow-thru carbs are pretty good on the street.
Roger's carb on John Clegg's "Rat Goat" (Rat Goat = UGLY Rusty body shell) street driven Texas Mile 1964 Lemans. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWJK...ature=youtu.be for example. John and his wife Judy have driven that car all over Texas for the different shows down there.

Tom V.

ps Compare the Supercharger Bracket System on John Cleggs (Luhn Performance) Video to the Torqstorm street stuff they sell.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Horn 16 View Post
The kit doesn't have the blow-through carb that is required, so that's another $800-$1000.

These types of kits aren't a "street" application. Yea, you could put one on a car that is still street legal but it isn't going to have any kind of street manners, especially on a motor that wasn't originally set up for boost.
That's true of the Procharger/Vortech kits as well, so that cost is there regardless. In the case of the big name kits, they don't even have brackets. You have to buy the head unit and either fabricate or source the mounting brackets independently.

A good blow through carb at low boost levels should be fine on the street. What your best bet with one of these would be is to add it to one of the TBI EFI systems available.

I think you'd find that type of setup incredibly streetable.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ive never heard that centrifugal superchargers weren't good on the street, but most of the applications I have seen have been fuel injected I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 10-24-2018, 11:00 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
That's true of the Procharger/Vortech kits as well, so that cost is there regardless. In the case of the big name kits, they don't even have brackets. You have to buy the head unit and either fabricate or source the mounting brackets independently.

A good blow through carb at low boost levels should be fine on the street. What your best bet with one of these would be is to add it to one of the TBI EFI systems available.

Not true, Vortech and Doug Norriden (Global West Suspensions) teamed up and offered a Driver's Side and a Passenger Side Kit for mounting a Vortech Supercharger on a Traditional Pontiac Engine. I still have about 10 sets of parts. http://legacy.vortechsuperchargers.com/images/20.pdf They are for the Passenger side Mount like John Cleggs supercharger location. Not the same parts as the Luhn Performance parts though. Vortech Design.

Tom V.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post

And that's exactly how I'd do it. I had been looking at Prochargers for the last 5-6 years. Just couldn't pull the trigger for a few reasons. Blow through carb didn't really interest me because of our elevation changes. NA is already a constant tuning fiasco. Adding boost just makes it more so and I'm getting to the point in life I want to drive and enjoy more than tinker.
I had been waiting for a while for a good throttle body EFI kit to come along that would support close to 1,000hp and work in a boosted application. It seems we are there now.....I think.

What bothers me with this kit is the fact that it's limited to 700HP?? Is that additional or total?? Because the 502 BBC I was contemplating this for, I can already do 700 HP in NA form and be very streetable as is with what I have sitting here without needing to spend more than $2,000 to get it done. I was looking to go Procharger and add another ~200-300 hp or so with boost. 6-8 psi won't get me there. Plus with the additional cost of going EFI along with boost, I'd want to crank some numbers with it for the money I'd be spending. Plenty of examples are pushing the 502's to 900 HP with ease on pump gas with 12-14 psi.

This kit is intriguing though. I'd like to see some examples on the dyno.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you're wanting big power, this isn't the kit for you. This is billed basically exactly how the FiTech and Sniper systems are. As entry level kits. If you're wanting to make four digit power, the best bet is to go the traditional route.

Now, I do know that torqstorm at least on some engines offers a dual charger kit. That theoretically could get you there, but at that point, there's not a lot of incentive to go their direction vs the proven record of performance that ProCharger/Vortech/Paxton has.

Mate that to a FiTech 1200PA and have fun!

Old 10-24-2018, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not looking for 4 digit power. I'm looking to keep things relatively tame and within a range the 502's handle with their OEM forged internals. Some are pushing them to 4 digit numbers but I'd be happy in the 8-900 range with a little less boost. Even with that, I don't think the Torqstorm would get me there.

Rather than spend $8,000 for 800-900 hp, I will most likely stick to the pump gas 502 NA setup that I have sitting here, spend about $2,000 and be happy with 700hp.

That kit is intriguing though. I'd love to hear how it turns out for you.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Haven't completely decided to run it yet. Kind of the wife's call on that one since it would be going on her Chevelle. Her car has the basic GM Goodwrench crate 350 in it with an Edelbrock performer intake and headers. Very mild. It motivates the car well enough, but it doesn't do so in an "exciting" way.

We put a FiTech GoStreet on that car about 5 months ago. Had she wanted to go this route at the time I'd have ponied up the couple hundred extra for the 600PA. Could be we do a vortec top-end and cam based on what her fuel headroom is. Even making 1hp/cid would be a decent improvement on that car.