THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:13 AM
Pontiac Performance Author

I just checked my Rock Auto receipts. Tax not charged. I believe that's because they have no "presence" in Ca.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My recent purchases from Rock, Jegs, Summit, & Amazon had no tax added.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
On ebay..ordering outside of my state ..vendors selling new and used products ( large and small sellers, surely for profit) are not charging me sales tax..
I have been taxed on new items,whether it was in or out of state,on Ebay,but have not been taxed on used items from large and small vendors.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IIRC the states have to make a formal request to start collecting the tax and forwarding the proceeds. You would think they would be doing that now, but then again, nothing is happening during the campaign season

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express
2024 Cadillac LYRIQ

Old 10-28-2018, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I filed taxes on all the stuff I bought online I’d be screwed.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by indymanjoe View Post
The privilege to buy things with already taxed money. Sales tax. What a joke.
Exactly!

Old 10-28-2018, 10:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
I don't wanna pay any taxes either. But, without taxes, how will Federal, State, & Local governments function ? How would roads be built & maintained ? Lots of things we need are built & maintained by taxes. It's just a fact of life.
If that tax money was actually used that way, I be OK with taxes too. Somehow, the pockets of individuals get lined instead. I pay unbelievable property taxes in Texas. Our roads here can break a band new one ton truck in one try.

Old 10-29-2018, 04:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got a question for you guys who don't wanna pay any sales tax. How would you pay for all the necessary expenses of operating local government ?

Think of all the employees & equipment required to keep a city running. I mean there's roads, streets, sewer, garbage, etc, etc. Labor, equipment, building materials, parts, & supplies are not cheap. Without taxes, who's gonna pay for all that stuff ?

Old 10-29-2018, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think anyone is against paying for infrastructure or city services. Its the Bullet trains going nowhere or bridges to small islands where Ferry service is sufficient. Every state has their own story.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express
2024 Cadillac LYRIQ

Old 10-29-2018, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Order Qty Ship Qty Part Number Description Unit Price Extended
Contents of Carton No.: 1
8 8 695-CB758HN CONNECTING ROD BEARING 9.39 75.12
1 1 695-MS667H10 MAIN BEARING SET 92.11 92.11
SALES TAX 62286 33550825 13.80 13.80

No doubt Illinois needs the $$$. I'm doing my part.

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 10-29-2018, 11:32 AM
Suspended

Quote:
I've got a question for you guys who don't wanna pay any sales tax. How would you pay for all the necessary expenses of operating local government ?

Think of all the employees & equipment required to keep a city running. I mean there's roads, streets, sewer, garbage, etc, etc. Labor, equipment, building materials, parts, & supplies are not cheap. Without taxes, who's gonna pay for all that stuff ?
Sales tax is a post-tax tax. When you're already heavily taxed on your income at the federal and most state levels, then you're using post-tax money to pay even more taxes, combined with grotesque mismanagement of most of those tax dollars, it's not at all difficult to understand why people are upset about paying taxes in any form. When the government collects more money in taxes than it ever has, yet still the national debt grows, there is a GROTESQUE problem with mismanagement of our money. How the hell could you NOT be pissed off about that?? And it happens at every level of government, from the federal government down to the tiniest local governments. Some are worse than others of course, but ALL waste huge amounts of money.

You can't praise all of the good services that governments provide without also being intellectually honest about the bad things they do with your money as well. Many of these things include the imposition of additional taxes that few if any people benefit from, like the aforementioned bullet trains, ridiculous overpaving of perfectly good roads(a real thing in northern Nevada at least), or the NOT paving of horrible roads in the California bay area despite them collecting huge quantities of tax dollars.

Maybe some little podunk town somewhere in the US gets it right for the most part, but none of the bigger cities do. People SHOULD be more upset about how their money is wasted, because then maybe we could work towards there being more accountability for it. There isn't any at all now. Most people vote along partisan political lines based on much more hotly contested issues like gun rights, health care, etc., so any voter accountability when it comes to taxation and financial waste is non-existent. Hence, grotesque mismanagement of almost all levels of government.

Yeah, I'm pissed off about it and will continue to be.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And your answer to how to pay for necessary city operation, law enforcement, fire department, maintenance & repair IS ?

Old 10-29-2018, 12:24 PM
Suspended

Quote:
And your answer to how to pay for necessary city operation, law enforcement, fire department, maintenance & repair IS ?
Show me where I advocated for abolishing all taxation and then your question becomes valid.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullsize455 View Post
Show me where I advocated for abolishing all taxation and then your question becomes valid.
No, it's a valid question, regardless of what you advocate.

But, since you seem to think you're right & everybody else is wrong, on any given subject, I'll do my best, in the future, to not respond to your posts. If I forget, please remind me of this.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:42 PM
Suspended

Quote:
No, it's a valid question, regardless of what you advocate.

But, since you seem to think you're right & everybody else is wrong, on any given subject, I'll do my best, in the future, to not respond to your posts. If I forget, please remind me of this.
Childish backpeddle. Your question implies that I am against ALL taxation. This is false. You know that, and now instead of taking back your misleading, dishonest question, you backpeddle and just say you won't reply any more. That's just childish. You don't want to have a discussion, you want to make one line talking point attempts at "gotchas" that don't work. So yeah, good luck with that. I call out anyone when they are wrong. Doesn't mean I'm always right, but if you're wrong, I'm going to call you out for it.

Old 10-29-2018, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As a licensed company we are required to collect sales tax on ALL products we sell within the borders of the state of Missouri.

There are a number of exceptions to the law, but we don't fit any of the exceptions.

Examples:
Items for farm machinery are normally not taxed. However, Mo Dept of Revenue feels that since everything we sell is for 1974 and older, that these are antiques, and taxable.

The only way we do not have to charge tax to Missouri residents is if the customer can provide a Missouri sales tax license.

Other companies in Missouri will have other exemptions (I think collectible coins are not taxed), and other states will have their own regulations.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have often wondered how it came to be that retailers were forced to become agents of the state revenue service and compelled to collect and remit sales tax to them.

I remember some 30 years ago (before internet) seeing a notice and form on the back of the State of Illinois income tax instruction booklet that explained by state law you were to calculate and remit Illinois sales tax with your income tax on all purchases made out of state such as by mail order which I had frequently done in those days. for which you paid no sales tax. I remember laughing out loud wondering what kind of idiot would remit such sales tax. I never did and hopefully the statute of limitations has now run out.

By the same token, I used to get very upset that friends of mine in construction would brag about the side jobs they would do, receiving money "under the table", code for I don't have to report it as income and pay income tax on it. I always believed I paid my income tax per my W-2 and didn't want to hear them brag about their cheating on income tax. Was their cheating worse than my own?

You don't have to be a proponent of the Fair Tax to understand that for every dollar you spend to buy stuff, about 23 cents of that dollar is implicitly handed over to the Federal Gov't as tax in its various forms.

Then the state places another percentage as sales tax on that stuff.

ponyakr, your premise is immediately flawed when you suggest that city operations are "necessary". In some cities, garbage collection is a city service, in others, homeowners contract with private companies. Garbage collection as a city service is not necessary unless you want to expand the city employed work force. And then argue for more revenue to pay for a non-competitive operation employing people at higher than market rates and often with lucrative benefits that exceed those available to privately employed workers.

If I was government employed, I would always favor higher taxes because more revenue always would mean more pay or benefits for me. Explains why teachers always favor higher school taxes (about 75-80% of school taxes pays for wages last I looked). But I was never government employed, so I never favor higher taxes.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:07 PM

In Illinois, supposedly schools, fire, police, and many other services are paid via property taxes. Most major higways are tolled even though fuel is taxed heavily. Water is metered everywhere and the cost earns a nice profit for the government coffers. Garbage collection is billed separately. In addition, the state and local governments collect 4.5% income tax, nearly 11% sales tax, hefty transfer taxes on real property, a use tax on purchases of all used vehicles including RVs, boats, aircraft, etc. Taxes on cell phones and all utilities and the list goes on and on. There are numerous other schemes set up for local and state government to collect, yet the state is broke simply because the insiders use the government system as a cash cow. There are actually unions with employees on the payroll that are paid to do political work such as campaigning and protests. One of the guys running for governor is an isider who inherited billions and a tax dodger to boot yet he wants to raise taxes further. I calculated based on the total taxes I paid in the last year, that alone should be for 2 full time government employees yet in reality the funds were likely wasted. There are also too many lawyers in this state, so other schemes they've come with is to over assess your real property and only a way to get lowered is to hire one of these attorneys. History has taught us that a government cannot stand for long when the people living off the dole exceeds what the productive class can produce. My fear is what has been happening in states like Illinois and California will spread to others and we could see an eventual collapse of our economy. The value of our dollar is based on faith in our government but if the government simply starts printing more to bail out the states, how much value will you place on that dollar?

Old 11-01-2018, 01:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I live in the county so I don’t have city trash service. I pay 7 dollars a week to a company to haul my garbage off no matter how big or how small. Sometimes I have just week to week trash sometimes I have two to three bins of “car” trash. Hell I had them pickup a complete 8.2 10 bolt I couldn’t sell locally. 7 dollars a week. My mother who lives less than a mile from me but in the city pays 45 dollars for trash service and gets ONE big green bin. If she goes over on her bin more than a few times they issue another and her fee goes up. Once they issue another bin they will never come back and get it and take it off your bill. That’s why I end up with a lot of my mothers trash. Free enterprise will always beat government run tax services every time. My brother in law works for city light and water and the money he makes as a supervisor is criminal. The electric coop those of us in the county use do not pay their employees anywhere near what Doug makes

Old 11-01-2018, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
I have often wondered how it came to be that retailers were forced to become agents of the state revenue service and compelled to collect and remit sales tax to them.

I remember some 30 years ago (before internet) seeing a notice and form on the back of the State of Illinois income tax instruction booklet that explained by state law you were to calculate and remit Illinois sales tax with your income tax on all purchases made out of state such as by mail order which I had frequently done in those days. for which you paid no sales tax. I remember laughing out loud wondering what kind of idiot would remit such sales tax. I never did and hopefully the statute of limitations has now run out.

It`s like that here. They call it a "use tax". Supposed to report it on "income tax". Now the outside vendors send us and the Louisiana dept. of revenue a letter of all purchases, and all state AND local sales taxes are to be paid on that total.