67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:54 AM
Senior Chief

Default 1969 Firebird 8.2 Axles.

Seems to be some discrepancies on the websites as to what works and does not. Looking to replace the axles on my Nodular 8.2 (Firebird) rear and need a good replacement P/N that works with stock bearing/seal/retainer configuration. Who should I buy from???

Thanks

Old 11-05-2018, 03:56 PM
Senior Chief

I purchased an axle from Ames with a new bearing and seal and installed it in June 2018. Other than a tight collar retainer it works fine in my 8.2.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keep in mind the PONTIAC 8.2 '69 Firebird rearends could have come configured as a sealed axle bearing PONTIAC 8.2 rear. OR if was built later in the production run, would have come with different hsg end axle tubes & tapered axle bearings & external axle seals. These styles of original axles are machined differently.

To note which style HD PONTIAC 8.2 axles you have, just pull an axle & look and see if the there is a seal tucked up on the axle, outboard of the axle bearing. My bet is you have the early style sealed (ball bearing) style axle with the axle seal up in the housing tube, sealed axle bearings are notorious for seizing to the axle, then chewing up the axle under the sealed axle bearing's internal race. For replacements I would call Moser Engineering or Dutchman & order a pair of new axles.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:41 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Keep in mind the PONTIAC 8.2 '69 Firebird rearends could have come configured as a sealed axle bearing PONTIAC 8.2 rear. OR if was built later in the production run, would have come with different hsg end axle tubes & tapered axle bearings & external axle seals. These styles of original axles are machined differently.

To note which style HD PONTIAC 8.2 axles you have, just pull an axle & look and see if the there is a seal tucked up on the axle, outboard of the axle bearing. My bet is you have the early style sealed (ball bearing) style axle with the axle seal up in the housing tube, sealed axle bearings are notorious for seizing to the axle, then chewing up the axle under the sealed axle bearing's internal race. For replacements I would call Moser Engineering or Dutchman & order a pair of new axles.
Correct, Early style bearing / seal configuration. Nodular ZH diff, trying to keep as original as possible albeit with known shortcomings.....

Old 11-06-2018, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a set of original forged 69 Trans Am axels out of a Nodular rear end. I stowed them away long ago, pretty sure I still have them. PM me if you are interested.

Tim john---

Old 11-07-2018, 07:18 PM
Senior Chief

I purchased from Dutchman about two years ago for my '69 Firebird. Great website and they always responded promptly to my email questions. I liked that I could order the axles with the bearings pressed on and the studs pressed in. I also had them drill the access hole. Took them out of the box and installed them. Refilled the diff oil. Done. No problems in the two years since they've been installed.