Old 11-10-2018, 12:14 PM
Senior Chief

Default Parts difficulty

Hello, I am interested in one of these cars, actually looking at a 63. How difficult is the parts situation? I can see that interior parts are easy to find, but how hard are engine parts and transmission parts? thanks.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Engine parts are not that hard to find.Auto trans parts are.Man trans parts are avail.For 63 GP interior is easy,all other models will be very expensive.61-64 cars are not for the weak of wallet.Tom

Old 11-11-2018, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Front suspension parts like shocks, bushings, ball joints, tie rods and ends, idler arm parts, springs, etc. are available in kits from vendors like Kanter and others. (It is difficult to find these pieces/parts on an individual basis thru Ebay, etc.) Most, if not all of these parts DO NOT interchange with Buick and Oldsmobile parts.

There are no reproduction parts such as Pitman arms and steering links but rebuild services can be found. Manual and power steering Pitman arms are different. Steering boxes are the same. Front brake wheel cylinders are difficult to find but rebuild services like White Post are available. Disc brake conversions are readily available and relatively cheap and highly recommended.

Wheels are 4 ½” lug bolt patterns and no other GM wheel is that size (Some Mopar, Ford, etc are.) Driver side lug bolts are “left-hand” threads and likely are not being reproduced.

There are no reproduction sheet metal parts, bumpers, chrome, grills, etc. available. There are some fiberglass body parts available.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:22 PM
Senior Chief

thanks for you information, I guess I will steer clear, I don't have tons of room, or a lot of excess budget.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The big cars are 5 on 5 pattern!63 Tempest is 4 1/2 and GTOs are 4 3/4.Tom