Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-02-2019, 06:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default RideTech

Looking to update my 67 Firebirds suspension. Has anyone tried the 4 link system with coil overs that RideTech offers? Wanting to get rid of the single leaf springs. Any word on their TruTurn system?

Old 01-02-2019, 10:20 PM

I just bought the whole front and rear Ridetech coilover conversion as a Christmas present to myself. I am just starting to install the front parts now. It is expensive but the quality of components looks very good. If you call around you should be able to get it for significantly less then the price you see advertised online. I got mine from Matt's Classic Bowties.

I have run into a big issue with the TruTurn center link. The way that inner tie rod ends are relocated cause them to interfere with my headers of the driver side. Basically the inner tie rod end now resides in the same place as the header tube from the #1 cylinder.

Ridetech wasn't much help and couldn't offer me any suggestions on a known header that would work.

I'm thinking that changing to long branch manifolds might be my best or only option.

I have seen a 68 bird with truturn but it had round port heads and the header tube routing is totally different on those.

I'll let you know how the rest of the install goes.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH68 View Post
I just bought the whole front and rear Ridetech coilover conversion as a Christmas present to myself. I am just starting to install the front parts now. It is expensive but the quality of components looks very good. If you call around you should be able to get it for significantly less then the price you see advertised online. I got mine from Matt's Classic Bowties.

I have run into a big issue with the TruTurn center link. The way that inner tie rod ends are relocated cause them to interfere with my headers of the driver side. Basically the inner tie rod end now resides in the same place as the header tube from the #1 cylinder.

Ridetech wasn't much help and couldn't offer me any suggestions on a known header that would work.

I'm thinking that changing to long branch manifolds might be my best or only option.

I have seen a 68 bird with truturn but it had round port heads and the header tube routing is totally different on those.

What pitman arm are you using? If it is the Chevy style for Camaro, then it will hit the number 1 header tube. I used to have the Chevy version, and dented a tube when making a left turn. The Pontiac version is a curved pitman arm, and clears headers.

I don't know if the kit included a pitman arm. Also, there are a couple different lengths of pitman arm that can impact where the tie rods and center link end up.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
What pitman arm are you using? If it is the Chevy style for Camaro, then it will hit the number 1 header tube. I used to have the Chevy version, and dented a tube when making a left turn. The Pontiac version is a curved pitman arm, and clears headers.

I don't know if the kit included a pitman arm. Also, there are a couple different lengths of pitman arm that can impact where the tie rods and center link end up.
I have the curved pitman arm. I have heard there are different lengths for Chevy but only see one curved option for first gen Firebirds in the Ames catalog. I'm going to see if I can figure out how to post a picture of the interference.

Also, it is the inner tie rod end that is interfering, not the pitman arm.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:16 PM

Here is the interference. This is with the wheel turned all the way to one side. If the wheel was turned back to center the tie rod end would move right into the header tube:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12jg...ew?usp=sharing

Here is a comparison of the stock center link vs. the RideTech TruTurn link. You can see that they moved the tie rod end attachment points up. This puts them more or less inline with the pivot point of the lower control arm to eliminate bump steer.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-tK...ew?usp=sharing

Old 01-03-2019, 04:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tough to tell from pics, but maybe it is backwards? I thought the bend in the center link was supposed to face forward.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the heads up. Keep us updated on your project

Old 05-24-2019, 11:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH68 View Post

Any updates on your install? How's the steering and ride?

Old 05-25-2019, 10:17 AM

Another option may be the rear torque arm style. The BMR suspension uses Watts link and the Speed Tech version use the panhard bar. Looks like they have good articulation and applies the torque to the stiff subframe area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6769framenobackground-1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	512901   Click image for larger version

Name:	69Camarowtorquearm_zps67336263-1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	512902