Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-23-2019, 05:15 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
My random thoughts:

Shutoff valve is a terrific idea. Practice using it in the garage with your eyes closed (as if the car is filled with smoke......because it will be). Practice it lots and it will be second nature in an emergency.

We put fire sleeve on the hoses between the bottles and shutoff valves since they're still capable of flowing nitrous if a fire breeches them.

Grocery Getter had 5 lb system and we never used it. Boss Bird has 20 lb system and it got used once.

Its unrealistic to think of the fire system putting the fire out entirely. The more realistic thought is that it buys you time to get stopped and get out (speaking from personal experience).

The rules require an SFI-15 suit but only SFI-5 gloves and shoes. That's a serious weak spot. If fire starts under the hood, it's going to get to your feet first. I used SFI-20 funny car boots and SFI-20 gloves in the Grocery Getter. The new generation Simpson gloves are flexible enough to work all the controls and switches...not like the old school oven mitts.

Consider a head sock to cover up all the bare skin on your neck and chin. That's another weak point to address with a full protection plan.

Make it a habit to leave all your equipment on until you get out of the car. Arnie's hands are mangled like they are because he was in the habit of taking his gloves off while still in the car. It was only after his gloves were off that the fire showed itself.

Hope this helps....

Eric
Thank You very good advice,,

Old 01-23-2019, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post

.....Consider a head sock to cover up all the bare skin on your neck and chin. That's another weak point to address with a full protection plan......

Eric

I started wearing a head sock when I stopped wearing my foam "neck brace" and went to a HANS device. I think the rules require it, but they were somewhat ambiguous. I did notice a lot of uncovered skin with the HANS device.

I also wear the funny car gloves you recommended after your fire.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 01-24-2019, 08:13 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by twooldgoats View Post
I started wearing a head sock when I stopped wearing my foam "neck brace" and went to a HANS device. I think the rules require it, but they were somewhat ambiguous. I did notice a lot of uncovered skin with the HANS device.

I also wear the funny car gloves you recommended after your fire.

Jim
I just order a Hans Device Now I need a head sock ..lol ..

Old 01-24-2019, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark G View Post

It never ends. My HANS device comes up for its re-cert at the end of February. I assume they do re-certs.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 01-25-2019, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I have one that I never used. You can have it for a Double Double.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:21 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I have one that I never used. You can have it for a Double Double.
Sold I will see Saturday Morning ..

Old 01-26-2019, 12:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Sold I will see Saturday Morning ..
Afternoon. I'm working nights.