THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Old boss back in my life as new boss, what are the odds?

For me the odds were 100%.

In 1985 I was in my mid 20's starting a new job all fresh and naive. Pay was good but I worked under someone that eventually I could not tolerate anymore. So in 1997 I went to the owner, asked if they can put me somewhere else within the company but he came back with a 'no' so I made a decision to resign, I just could not work for that manager any longer.

Couple years later (1999) I started a new job and am still there today however at the start of 2019 the company announces that a new position has been created (COO) and to my shock and dismay its my old manager from 22 years ago that given this powerful position. As the title says "what are the odds".

If there is any truth to the saying "people don't change" then this guy is living proof of it because in the 2 months he's been here I see all the reasons why I left him 22 years ago.

I'm much older now with less patience and tolerance for this type so we'll see what happens.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Been through it many times. Had to suck it up every time. Until I'm financially comfortable, it seems as this is my life. I look at my wins. I have a good job that pays well. Otherwise, I wouldn't have an expensive toy like a classic car. Right now, I count my blessings that the guy who was a real prick in my world retired.
Cheer up, brother.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I was started out as a sheriffs deputy I worked at a real wild west dept. We played fast and loose. Not breaking the law mind you but we were 'hard chargers'. When I went to my next department my chief was very by the book. There was a rule for literally everything up to and including where you could place items on your belt. I HATED it. Not so much him but the department in general because of all the things like that. In the years since I have come to realize that that job was the 'best job I ever hated'. All he wanted was a professional dept. He wasnt always easy to get along with but EVERYTHING was documented, your ass was covered and everything was done above board. Maybe the boss is trying to be like that he just doesnt know how to come across. Or maybe he is just a prick. Just another way of looking at it

Old 03-06-2019, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Form,
My advice is to pray, and wait it out...Start looking for another job, RIGHT NOW!!!, just in case. I have been at my current job for 7 years, as of next Tuesday. I have known my current boss for 21 years, we get along great. The job I had for 14 years previous to this SUCKED! everyone in charge were complete jackasses...I did not leave until I knew I had a viable job to go to...

The most common reason for people leaving jobs is their boss....the chances of him changing are NOT likely........be on a job search, in case he has not changed.

Jesus changes people hearts, he could be a totally different person...miracles DO happen...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 03-06-2019, 04:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Angry My advice:

Polish up that resume.

I've been forced to leave jobs that I absolutely loved because some 'prick' was promoted into a position where he made just coming to work a miserable experience.

Looking back, the next jobs were always better or had more potential for me.

Or you could always call the guy in the pic.

Remember, a friend will help you move.
A good friend will help you move a body.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sicario.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	507301  

Old 03-06-2019, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I started my current job in 2005, working for a company where I had several contacts that knew my boss and thought he was great. I never had a problem with my first boss, but about four years later he took a new role and moved on. Not long after, I moved to a different department within engineering.

Then about 5 - 6 years ago, my original boss became my new boss. He was still great to work for, but my current role has more responsibilities and the job had gotten more difficult. He was still an excellent boss, but job pressures definitely increased. Then about two years ago, he moved up the ladder and I went through a re-org, ending up with a boss half my age. The jury is out on my new boss, but he is very by the book. At least I know what is expected.

Mike

Old 03-06-2019, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Who's the boss?

Old 03-07-2019, 12:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Form,
My advice is to pray, and wait it out...Start looking for another job, RIGHT NOW!!!, just in case. I have been at my current job for 7 years, as of next Tuesday. I have known my current boss for 21 years, we get along great. The job I had for 14 years previous to this SUCKED! everyone in charge were complete jackasses...I did not leave until I knew I had a viable job to go to...

The most common reason for people leaving jobs is their boss....the chances of him changing are NOT likely........be on a job search, in case he has not changed.

Jesus changes people hearts, he could be a totally different person...miracles DO happen...
I just want to say, that at my current stage, I really appreciated this post.
I don't want to get into it, but this post resonated with me.
thanks for sharing

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 03-07-2019, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Meet the new boss! Same az the the old boss! Dang! DaDang! Badada Dadang!

Old 03-07-2019, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been fortunate to have a great boss for 25 years now - his main method of managing is to stay out of the way and let his employees do their job. I can go a week at a time without seeing him at all.

Depending on what your job is and how much you need to interact with your boss, maybe the best thing is to follow a similar path...keep your head down, do your work, and avoid contact with him as much as possible.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:29 AM
Senior Chief

The guy that hired me fresh out of grad school in 1994 just interviewed last week at the company I'm at now. I don't think theyre hiring him, which is a bummer. Best boss I ever had. As long as you were doing your job, you never heard from him. I was traveling a lot for him (55,000/yr, and one time called his office just to make sure he still worked there. Those were good days, but I worked hard, and might have fallen asleep driving once or twice. For the record, a 1995 grand am flies bad, and lands ugly.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 03-07-2019, 11:39 AM
Senior Chief

I guess its true!!!!, something about burning bridges. I've burned a few

Old 03-07-2019, 01:04 PM

I was forced to leave my supervisor position for a before and after School program, when I was diagnosed with Leukemia. I was there 16 years, my Daughter grew up in my programs, and long story short, is now an Administrator there. I’ve been out of it for 8 years, there were many issues when I was there, when my Mom died I didn’t even get a card. So you can imagine, I only stayed because of the kids. Not much has changed, my Daughter is now finding out some things never change. Everytime I go to visit my Grandaughter there, the Admins try and get me to come back. Truth be known....no amount of money could be enough to go back there! Sad but true.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 03-07-2019, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keep your bosses boss of YOUR bosses A-s!Words to live by in the corporate world!

Old 03-07-2019, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had a pretty good boss for the last 21 years.
Now he's just a 60 year old overweight guy that is looking at retirement....sooner rather than later.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Keep your bosses boss of YOUR bosses A-s!Words to live by in the corporate world!
Many years ago I was at a big company and had an immediate supervisor who was a real jerk, but I happened to be dating the daughter of his bosses' bosses' boss. That relationship helped me out more than once.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
I was forced to leave my supervisor position for a before and after School program, when I was diagnosed with Leukemia. I was there 16 years, my Daughter grew up in my programs, and long story short, is now an Administrator there. I’ve been out of it for 8 years, there were many issues when I was there, when my Mom died I didn’t even get a card. So you can imagine, I only stayed because of the kids. Not much has changed, my Daughter is now finding out some things never change. Everytime I go to visit my Grandaughter there, the Admins try and get me to come back. Truth be known....no amount of money could be enough to go back there! Sad but true.
I left my previous job in 2012, never got an encouraging word, or anything good, till the day I gave them my 2 week notice.....I stayed 4 weeks, because they asked me and it was OK with my future employer.

Even though the old job royally SUCKED, I did everything I could to make my departure, the BEST it could be for my old employer. Telling them to eat crap was my first choice,but I knew that was not the thing to do, for all good reasons....

As I said earlier next Tuesday will make me 7 years at my current job. I plan to be here as long as the Lord allows.

At my previous job, I was the sole person in that department, I did EVERYTHING. They have had up to 4 people performing my job there since 2012 .

They've had 5 different managers and 7 other folks working my old job. The good ones have only hung around enough to find out what bunch of butt heads they are to work for, then LEAVE!! I am sure they all make more $$$ than I did, BUT I wouldn't go back there for ANY reason!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 03-07-2019, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
I've had a pretty good boss for the last 21 years.
Now he's just a 60 year old overweight guy that is looking at retirement....sooner rather than later.
as long as your boss doesn't have any more kidney stones trying to move, or a bad heater core, sounds like you ARE blessed!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 03-07-2019, 05:23 PM

So how long before you quit this time around?

Always been my own boss since I discovered as a teen I didn't want to work for ashwholes.
I fired myself once but realized I couldn't make money without me so I had to rehire myself with a raise.
Retired at 50 and bought a 1967 GTO to restore at 57.
The rest is history.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:32 PM
Senior Chief

been working for department of transportation for 19 years and cant count how many wanna be bosses have come an gone. kill em with silence and a smile