THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
MA, I agree with you on the chrome. Some cars its fine. But your TA will look much better without. The only chrome I have on mine is the valve covers but they are supposed to be that way. I see the po also painted the inner fenders gloss, guess to give the chrome some more bling.

That entire engine compartment will be getting a re do, and will be as pretty as my 69’s when it’s done. Check it out...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7781B834-A88F-4AF3-9361-20CF9611B3C1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	512276  

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 05-15-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68lemans462 View Post
This is how many times I've ordered from rock auto! I have a rock auto magnet collection on the basement fridge!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

holy cannoli Roli! Do you sleep in your garage too? Because that looks like a lot of time working on cars.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 05-15-2019, 08:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have, but I don't really trust the "it fits this model" directory from any site. Summit is probably the best because there is often a review that says "I installed this on my 1967 Camaro and it worked great!". But I don't even fully trust them. I almost always look across multiple platforms and try to nail down a part number specifically. Then buy that actual part number from the Rock Auto or whomever else. Less heartbreak that way.

I will say with Rock Auto specifically they can hurt you on shipping from multiple sites. If I don't care about a brand, say for a belt or a radiator hose, I will select multiple brands of the same part to try and get everything Im ordering to ship from the same place.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 05-15-2019, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know your 'bird is very nice, Im sure the engine compartment on 'Burt' must drive you crazy! I see they even chromed the air cleaner base. I have a 1939 BSA , it has chrome fenders, and chain guard. The bike is factory original and 100% correct. I had it judged at an AMCA event and they took points off, one of the judges asked if I owned a chrome shop Most of them were painted and he didn't know better. Everytime I see a car with a lot of chrome, I kinda chuckle and think about his comment.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
I know your 'bird is very nice, Im sure the engine compartment on 'Burt' must drive you crazy! I see they even chromed the air cleaner base. I have a 1939 BSA , it has chrome fenders, and chain guard. The bike is factory original and 100% correct. I had it judged at an AMCA event and they took points off, one of the judges asked if I owned a chrome shop Most of them were painted and he didn't know better. Everytime I see a car with a lot of chrome, I kinda chuckle and think about his comment.

Funny thing I love lots of chrome on the outside of cars and trucks, and if you have a custom car with a lot of chrome under the hood, whatever floats your boat, it’s just not for me, and yes BURTS engine compartment is driving me crazy right now. I can’t wait to get wrenching and removing it ALL except maybe the valve covers. they will come off to be cleaned.

I had 2 AACA judges tell me I’d lose points on my 69 because I had chrome valve covers. I generally do not talk to judges, but I immediately began to educate them on what the 400 package included. They walked away, and came back half hour later, telling me they researched what I told them, and proceeded to apologize and I wound up getting first place in my class, which was everything GM. Huge class including Corvettes. I’m glad I was at my car, and corrected them.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 05-15-2019, 09:31 AM

Gary, we don’t have O’Reileys here NAPA is the closest to your store. We have Advance Auto, Pep Boys, and Autozone, and on occasion they might have something for my classic cars, but rarely. I’ve looked at the Rock Auto website, and it seems very confusing to me, that’s why I wanted everyone’s in put.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 05-15-2019, 09:33 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
I had 2 AACA judges tell me..................
It should never be what someone else "thinks". It should be what "you" like. Isn't that why you have the car? Screw them and anyone else unless they are paying the bill.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
It should never be what someone else "thinks". It should be what "you" like. Isn't that why you have the car? Screw them and anyone else unless they are paying the bill.

My point is not everyone even those who supposedly should know what they are looking at often do not. Their statement to me was, “very nice Firebird to bad we have to dock you 4 points because it’s modified with the chrome valve covers” Next time they judge they now know the facts. and I had fun educating them.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 05-15-2019, 09:44 AM

Enough about my modified 69. the summit stuff on the TA will be going, and I will be checking Rock Auto out as a possible source for some parts for BURT.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 05-15-2019, 10:30 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
Enough about my modified 69. the summit stuff on the TA will be going, and I will be checking Rock Auto out as a possible source for some parts for BURT.
I think you're close to having a resto-mod.

A few more JC Whitney parts and you'll have a winner!

Old 05-15-2019, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I buy from Rock Auto for everyday driver stuff, but have had problems with parts incorrectly specified in their directory, from incorrect parts shipped, to parts damaged either in shipment or just damaged parts shipped.

To their credit, they replace or refund, but it's a hassle. I also preorder parts for upcoming work, and find too late that it's the wrong part and the grace period for returns is over.

At this time, I'll buy from them if there is a substantial price difference over NAPA, otherwise I'll buy locally from NAPA. (and check the Rock Auto parts for correctness and/or damage as soon as it's delivered.

George

Old 05-15-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
I think you're close to having a resto-mod.

A few more JC Whitney parts and you'll have a winner!

Wisenheimer

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 05-15-2019, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

MA, any part I don't need immediately I get from RockAuto. Here's an example: the power steering cooler on my Silverado developed a serious leak(it emptied the reservoir in 3 minutes). This isn't a critical item(you can route the pressure and return lines around it). NAPA wanted $120 for their house brand cooler(special order),but I was able to get a genuine AC Delco cooler from RockAuto for $49.95 plus tax and shipping.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 05-15-2019, 01:15 PM

The benefit of NAPA is no shipping. I have one 5 minutes from my house, but seems lately they’re getting very limited on parts I need. And I’m not really in a hurry as the parts would be for the 78 TA, project in progress.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 05-15-2019, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Love rock auto and also have the freezer door of my garage "beer" fridge almost covered in magnets. The trick to the shipping is buying parts from the same warehouse, and they also tell you if something is coming from the same place. Usually with similar parts like suspension bushings or steering linkage.

They had rear brake drums for the 9 3/4 in my 62 cat, and most of the linkage. The center link is a unicorn though.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 1967Tempest

Recent experience with RA:

Bought the upstream cat converter for wifes 08 Subaru which this piece is the entire exhaust manifold. The weld broke right at the spot were it meets the downstream pipe.

I had to purchase a new one and send it in for warranty and 4 years and 10 months out of 5 year warranty and they refunded the money instantly.

SUPER cool with all the warranty issues I have placed.

The Burb Files
Old 05-15-2019, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use them all the time. Recently bought parts for niece's '05 Liberty and for my '04 GP. Some parts for the Jeep were Mopar brand, same as you get at the dealership but much lower price.

Also got Bendix brand wheel cylinder rebuild kits for the '64 GTO on closeout.

Closeout deals are especially cheap. Just bought a Tripower end carb mounting gasket at NAPA for $5. Rock Auto had the same Fel-Pro gasket on closeout for $1.59 but that was all I needed and the postage was $2.99 so got it from NAPA. If you are grouping parts in a single order, shipping isn't so bad.

Get the 5% discount code at the first Sticky in the Members Helping Members Forum.

Plug it in the Where Did You Hear About Us box on the order page. First time I couldn't find where to plug it in when I placed order. Called them after entering the order and they fixed it for me. Now I just have to remember to use it when ordering, easy to forget.

Parts stores are a bit of a drive for me these days so ordering on line and having UPS deliver works great for me. I've ordered on a Sunday and had the parts by Tuesday.

Not sure they will have the kinds of things you'll want for a 2nd gen TA but if they got 'em, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Bought lots of parts from them and never had a problem. Typically buy things like cabin filters, air filters etc. belts and hoses too. I still use the local stores when i need something that day If i can wait i order from rock auto or amazon lately. The key with rock auto is to try and get items that ship from the same warehouse. Otherwise the shipping charges can eat up any savings. I always use the 5% off coupons too. They are all over the web.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:35 PM

More positive comments than negative, that’s exactly what I hoped to see.

Thanks guys!

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 05-15-2019, 05:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
Been buying for years, had one flub.... it looked like an old part that had sat on the shelf for a long time.
Just had that happen to me too. I ordered a pair of air struts for my Brand M car which I figured out the OEM's were Bilstein, which Rockauto had for about $200 less than the best online deal I could find, and $800 each less than dealer cost.

BUT... I got the struts delivered and found the LH one was past its use-by date by several months (these struts contain rubber bladders, so that's why a date). I shipped it back on their dime. RA sent a new one which FedEx "lost", and then had to wait for a 3rd one. Finally got that one yesterday (that was not RA's fault).

Last edited by hgerhardt; 05-15-2019 at 05:51 PM.