Old 06-02-2019, 09:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Rear coil spring troubles

Bought a set of Eaton springs years ago for my never ending restoration that are OE for my car. '65 Cat.

Right now the body is off the frame and I needed to replace the defective rubber insulators. I also had an issue with the lower spring end refusing to seat on the lower perch.

So I removed the springs, replaced the insulators and proceeded to get the springs set properly. It was difficult. I ended up using bailing wire to secure the very end of the spring onto the perch, then lowered the chassis. It's better, but I can't get the rest of the spring to sit down on the perch....very frustrating.

Can't find any info on this anywhere, is there a specific location on the axle perch where the very end of the spring should be clocked? I noticed the lower perch is a little higher in the front than back...yeah, after I'd already bolted everything back together.

I think they may seat themselves once the car is driving, but who knows.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:52 AM
Suspended

I tried twisting rear springs in the past trying get the car to sit evenly, nothing ever happened. So my take is it doesn't matter..

Old 06-03-2019, 04:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to AROWHED

The rear perches are just flat, both frame and axle, unlike the front suspension. As 389 mentioned, I've also tried rotating my rear springs to no effect, so I just set them so very end of spring, at bottom, is pointing forward...for lack of a better description. You drop the body back on and those springs will seat real quick. I'm using the variable rate wagon springs from Espo, and the first two coils are almost stacked solid anyway. Rides fine, no sag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61697583_2873789439513451_6915210449675878400_n.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	513472  

Old 06-03-2019, 08:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don’t think the body will be enough to get the other half of the bottom coil to seat. Maybe once it’s all complete with glass and bumper. A couple good bumps on the road should get the rest of the bottom coil to seat. It’s like the diameter is just a tad too small to sit on that perch easy. Needs to be forced on. Lame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk